Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

You ever look up American recipes? The amount of sugar and butter is enough to make me gag. Yet the yanks think it's weird that we butter our bread. 

I didn't even know this was a thing until I mentioned it to my other half the other day. "Butter? That's weird!" And she has tacos for breakfast.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I didn't even know this was a thing until I mentioned it to my other half the other day. "Butter? That's weird!" And she has tacos for breakfast.

I found out a few years ago on another forum. Someone was binge watching Mr Bean and watched the brilliant episode where he makes a sandwich in the park. He said what made it funnier was Mr Bean putting butter on his bread and thought it was just a weird quirk that he had. Then everything broke down as the Brits rallied to defend this extremely normal sandwich prep and those across the pond gasped in disgust. 

They're a weird bunch, Dev. Wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. I'd be sleeping with one eye open.

2 minutes ago, deathrey said:

Err what do Americans put on their bread?

Mayo, gravy, ketchup, the constitution, who knows.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

They usually have some other substance of a similar consistency on a butty, you know what they're like. There's a sandwich shop near us that asks me if I'd like butter or mayo, so I'd assume they mostly use mayo over there. They probably bathe in it.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I feel a bit grossed out by those other options. Why would you not use butter?! I occasionally put mayo in a sandwich but I still butter.

They would probably see that as disgusting but they're never going to win that argument being American.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

When doing Cheese on toast, do you butter the bread before adding cheese or not? My dad has his cheese on toast without adding butter or anything, no way i could have it without! 

I wouldn't bother with butter and cheese. I only need one dairy product on there. Butter and mayo is fine because mayo isn't dairy.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

When doing Cheese on toast, do you butter the bread before adding cheese or not? My dad has his cheese on toast without adding butter or anything, no way i could have it without! 

Just go in raw. I don't think the marginal (if any) taste gain of buttering cheese on toast is worth fact that I'm just getting even closer to a massive coronary each time. 

Now if you're doing a toastie on the other hand, get a good dollop of butter on the outside bread portion of that fucker before putting it in to grill. Browns up a treat. 

Edited by Gus Mears

15 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

To be honest, that's probably the one occasion where I don't butter. I tend to make a bit of a mix for my cheese on toast so I don't really need butter - grated cheese, chopped cherry tomatoes, jalapenos, a little bit of garlic, basil and salt and pepper. If I was just chopping up a bit of cheese and sticking it on bread, I would butter first