UFC 226: Miocic vs Cormier

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

As for heavyweight, anyone think the UFC would entertain the idea of elevating DC to a Super Champ like status? i know that opens a huge can of worms and the people who love the UFC's simple one title format's heads would explode, but if they realistically are gonna do DC/Brock then possibly DC/Jones or Brock/Jones at HW before the eventual winner vacates for whatever reason why not create a super title and creat a 'regular' title for the rest of the division to compete for? stick Curtis Blaydes/Derrick Lewis in the cage for it. It solves the issue of divisions being held up. Its a very boxing thing to do and works like the dreaded interim title but in the era where superfights need to be created to generate business i dont see why not. 

Normally, I would be against such developments. The UFC's current obsession with interim titles has gotten out of hand. 

But now you put it like that, it isn't the worst idea in the world. They could always unify in 18 months time. 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Id forgotten all about the eye poke until seeing that post. It was bad but he was cautioned, can't do any more than that.

I'm not saying there is more you could do in this instance as it seemed to be the first foul of the fight, but referees absolutely shy away from docking points for fouls. The ref's need to be backed up and supported with regards to this as well so that they don't make a decision that they are then lambasted for by the fighter/promoter if it was the correct decision.

It also needs to be clarified whether a first foul in a fight is a warning or a straight point deduction. If it's only a warning by rule then there could be something in the idea that you are encouraging fighters to foul at least once as they know there is no repurcussions for commiting a foul that could aid them in winning the fight. 

I love DC, and am extremely pleased for his win at the weekend, but there is no denying that as far as how things look on camera, that eye poke is one of the most intentional looking eye pokes that you are likely to see. Whether he actually meant to do it is harder to judge, but it looked like he did and really that should be enough for a point deduction. 

7 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah it looked well dodgy, even after he was told about it he had to be told just seconds later. 

Yeah, even if the ref had docked a point the damage was done, it was obvious he was compromised afterwards.

Doubt it was intentional, mind you, well I hope not anyway, but it played a part in the fight regardless of what we may think.

Hopefully another win will get Stipe the winner of a possible Cormier vs Lesnar match. Would love to see Miocic get a blockbuster fight of that level.

EDIT:

Probably behind everyone else, but his comments after the fight are pure class.

“I lost. Plain and simple,” Miocic said. “There’s no excuses. He’s the better man tonight.”

“It sucks, losing is not fun at all. It sucks,” Miocic said. “But in perspective, I look at it — I’m going home right now to my beautiful wife, who’s having my child. There’s better things in life than losing. It sucks, I want to come back and get a rematch, of course. Right now, it’s DC’s day, good for him.”

8 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Who would you put Miocic in with next? It's a tough spot to be in coming off a bad KO and needing to back in at the top level.

In an ideal world he'd get an immediate rematch, but that's obviously not on the cards.

He's essentially in no man's land.

• Paid Members

You've got Volkov and Blaydes all there wanting a taste. Given his title reign, Stipe should probably get an immediate rematch, but Lesnar made sure no one is really into it as much as DC v Brock.

However, it's worth remembering Stipe has a baby to look after in the immediate future. If he's got some money, I'd maybe take some time off until Lesnar is out of the way. I mean, who knows, DC's final bout in March could very well be a rematch with Stipe.

Just now, ColinBollocks said:

You've got Volkov and Blaydes all there wanting a taste. Given his title reign Stipe should probably get an immediate rematch, but Lesnar made sure no one is really into it as much as DC v Brock.

However, it's worth remembering Stipe has a baby to look after in the immediate future. If he's got some money, I'd maybe take some time off until Lesnar is out of the way. I mean, who knows, DC's final bout in March could very well be a rematch with Stipe.

None of them draw any real interest in my opinion. If this was still the game of wins and losses, then sure thing, but it isn't, so why the fuck risk your spot against some no-name like Blaydes or Volkov for a fraction of what you'd get against either DC or Lesnar?

What Stipe will be hoping is that Brock wins, so he gets that fight. I think Cormier is more winnable for Brock than Stipe is, so it could happen. 

I reckon Stipe vs Lesnar would be a quicker, more brutal version of Lesnar vs Cain. We'd maybe even get to see the breakdance of shame from the big man again.

26 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

He's probably gonna have to get back in the mix because if Jon Jones gets involved that title is gonna be tied up for the next year at !east.

He'll find somewhere in the lineup that makes sense, but if he's smart it doesn't involve facing anyone like Volkov or Blaydes.

None of those fights will pay him decent coin, and beating either of them isn't going to put him in title contention either, is it? Certainly not any more than he already is. There's literally no upside to either of those fights.

It's not a wins/losses game any more, it's a "how much fucking money can I get paid?" game, so I wouldn't be fighting anyone unless it's gonna put considerable change in my pocket.

As for Jones, he's unreliable. There's no way he's coming back to a title shot at a weight class he's never fought in before. Not a fucking chance.

• Paid Members

The thing with Stipe is he's already beat nearly every top fighter in the division already. And decisively. It limits the options for matchmaking for sure. Brock Lesnar would be not only a money fight but it's a fresh fight as well. 

I'm not sure that Stipe's likely to get the winner of DC vs Brock though. He deserves another crack IMO just based on his reign but, as unreliable and cunty as he is, Jon Jones vs either Brock or a third fight with DC are much bigger fights for the UFC to make. If Jones is available by the time DC vs Brock is settled, I'd be amazed if they go any other direction. 

Stipe might have to take another fight in the meantime. He could wait it out but at 35 I'm not sure he wants to be doing that. He seems the type who will want back in there after this loss. 

Is Cain ever fucking coming back? If he is, maybe Stipe vs Cain? That's a non-title fight that still would actually add to Stipe's legacy should he win. And if Cain wins, he's back in the game. 

Maybe the best case scenario would be if DC beats Brock and they just set up DC vs Jones 3 at heavyweight and just do Stipe vs Brock anyway. Then DC probably retires by then either way, and you can do Jones vs the Stipe/Brock winner after that. 

There are a bunch of ways this can play out. Interesting times. This shit could've been even better if Francis Ngannou didn't forget how to punch and could be thrown into the mix somewhere but you can't have everything.

I think the UFC will match Miocic up with either Blaydes or Volkov. He'll probably dispatch of one of those two, and put himself in-line for a title shot once the dust settles around Lesnar and D.C. 

Cain is a bit of a mystery. I can't find anything recent about him returning. I presume that he will eventually return. But I can see the UFC giving him a mid-tier opponent for his comeback fight. I don't think they will throw him to the wolves. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

None of them draw any real interest in my opinion. If this was still the game of wins and losses, then sure thing, but it isn't, so why the fuck risk your spot against some no-name like Blaydes or Volkov for a fraction of what you'd get against either DC or Lesnar?

None of those fights will pay him decent coin, and beating either of them isn't going to put him in title contention either, is it? Certainly not any more than he already is. There's literally no upside to either of those fights.

They're 'No Draws' for sure, but if Stipe doesn't want to sit out then he's probably got no option but to take on one of them. It's not like Stipe is the type to really give a care about that sort of thing anyway. If Dana told Stipe if he beats one of those two he's definitely getting another title shot after, then I'm sure he'll be all over it.

Blaydes and Volkov are probably only another good year away from title shots. It's not like Stipe has proven himself to be anything resembling a draw anyway, so Dana may see Stipe v one of those two as a nice little heater, should they best Stipe and they do the work in the coming year. Again, the only upside for Stipe is that he's a win away from his title - after all both men are top 3 HWs. The division is at least held up until the end of the year anyway.

FYI, Cain was going hard with DC during his fight camp, so I imagine he's not far off at all. From the sounds of it, Cain realises how badly he's abused his body and is just taking time to help it get proper healthy.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:06 AM, Your Fight Site said:

Saw the news from the weekend. My takeaway is, Brock just looked head and shoulders bigger than every one in the cage. It was like a college kid wading into a school playground.

Theres a full length picture of Brock in the cage on Saturday out there. Sorry on my crap phone and can't post but he is rocking some Simon Cowell esque heels on his shoes. Wouldn't surprise me if he had lifts in his shoes too. He was looking way taller than Rockhold who is listed as the same height as him at 6ft3. 

• Paid Members

It wouldn't be my choice but I suppose they could always do Stipe vs Derrick Lewis as well. 

A lot of this depends on Stipe. Of course he wants to make the most money possible but coming off this loss, he might just want to get back in there and win first and foremost. Kind of like Frankie Edgar coming back after the Ortega KO and taking the Swanson rematch. I can see Stipe doing something similar. A fight with Lewis or whoever. Fuck, even let him bash Stefan Struve up and avenge that loss if he wants back in quick. He's probably going to have to fight someone because it's looking like DC vs Brock can't happen until January at the earliest. If DC wins and wants to have his farewell in March I can't see him running it back with Stipe because he can't beat Stipe any more impressively than a first round KO, can he? He can't top that. And if Brock wins he probably won't fight again for ages, maybe next summer. So either Stipe waits potentially ages to see how this DC vs Brock thing plays out, and still might not get a title shot, or he gets back in and stays active. 

Maybe Stipe should call Jones out or something. It's a big fight, a fresh fight and it's one that if he wins he's instantly back in an undeniable position to get another shot. Fuck knows how all this plays out. 

• Paid Members

Does Stipe make more money if he fights, say, Cain? He's lost his title, so doesn't that mean he's also lost his PPV points? 

Whether he fights 8k followers Blaydes or Jones, it may not make any difference in his bank account. Never really sure how these things work out. Stipe has been really vocal that his contract is shite.

I'm just as guilty, so this isn't a dig, but it's a little sad none of us are particularly arsed about him fighting top 3 contenders like Blaydes and Volkov.

Archived