UFC 220: Miocic vs Ngannou

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

What we've all got to remember as well is that although Ngannou got shown up and exposed, and he definitely did, it was Stipe Miocic he was in there with. The Stipe Miocic who nobody has been able to last a round with of late. It was clear Ngannou didn't have a Scooby Doo what he was doing when the fight went to the ground but at the same time it's easy for people to say he should've got up or tried to get up and stuff like that but we're not the ones who had Stipe on top of us. Thank fuck. It wasn't like Stipe was just going to let him up. 

Worst thing about all this for me is that now every time Ngannou fights all we'll hear from Rogan will be the old muscle mass/cardio rants he used to love trotting out every time Rumble or Woodley fought. He loves that one. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I can't say I blame Rogan or the UFC for going full "aye, he's not superhuman, but..." during and after the fight because they were left with a massive bit of egg on the face, with every second ticking by Stipe made Ngannou look like another HW, which was not as advertised.

I agree with you wand that Ngannou is far from done. For a start, I honestly doubt many HW survive that mad pace he puts on at the start of a round, but the key is, he must learn from his mistakes. Stipe went from midcard bum to the GOAT because of this.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

What we've all got to remember as well is that although Ngannou got shown up and exposed, and he definitely did, it was Stipe Miocic he was in there with. The Stipe Miocic who nobody has been able to last a round with of late. It was clear Ngannou didn't have a Scooby Doo what he was doing when the fight went to the ground but at the same time it's easy for people to say he should've got up or tried to get up and stuff like that but we're not the ones who had Stipe on top of us. Thank fuck. It wasn't like Stipe was just going to let him up. 

Worst thing about all this for me is that now every time Ngannou fights all we'll hear from Rogan will be the old muscle mass/cardio rants he used to love trotting out every time Rumble or Woodley fought. He loves that one. 

agree with that, but it makes it even more baffling that the guy apparently works little to no wrestling, if Ngannou or his camp believed they were going to fight Stipe Miocic and not at some point end up on his back is either sheer ignorance or gross overestimations of the mans skills.

• Paid Members

The game plan was definitely to end it in the opening round. Like a lot of people, they seemed to completely underestimate what a beast Stipe is, expecting him to wilt as Ngannou swung with everything he had. However, to not have even bother or expect a plan B shows incredible stupidity and hubris from his coaches.

At worst, Ngannou is going to end up like an upgraded version of a prime Bob Sapp; a fighter who can give anyone hell for 3 minutes before fading. It's easy to forget that Sapp could give anyone hell during the early stages of his career (other than Cro Cop). Sapp beat Hoost twice in K1, and gave Big Nog absolute hell before being armbarred. Even now, Ngannou is an upgraded version of Sapp. He doesn't wilt like Sapp did, and he hasn't yet fallen to pieces against mid-level heavyweight competition on the big stage. Plus, Ngannou can give a fighter hell without very liberal rules aiding him, which is something I believe Sapp used to his advantage against Hoost in K1. For now, Ngannou isn't a bad heavyweight at all, just a very limited one. 

Will Ngannou become more than that? I am not sure. It is certainly possible. In addition to the Cro Cop example on the previous page, you can also cite Werdum. It took him years to develop his striking, but one he did, he became one of the most complete heavyweight fighters in MMA history. Some fighter just don't develop though, for numerous reasons. Some fighters even regress as the years go on. In short, the jury is out on Ngannou. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

When did he say that? Yuck! That's neck and neck with his "Conor will knockout Floyd" patter in August.

Hate to give them more views, but

At 1:20 if timestamp link doesn't work

• Paid Members

Schaub is terrible. The GAD of American MMA media. He talks so much shite it's mental.

There were times during the Mayweather vs McGregor build up where he was comparing McGregor to boxers and it was apparent that he didn't know who the boxers in question were. There was one interview in particular where he was sat with Floyd himself, Paulie Malignaggi and someone else I'm forgetting and they were on about Zab Judah. And Schaub piped up with 'Conor hits WAY harder than Zab Judah' or something. The others just kind of sniggered and ignored him but you could see he fully believed it as fact. He also stated as fact that McGregor had much more power than Canelo at various points throughout the build up. How he'd know this is anyone's guess? Then there was that time after Travis Browne bashed him up where Rogan had that uncomfortable intervention with him on his podcast, trying to convince him to retire for his own good. Rogan asked him something along the lines of - 'Honestly, in a straight wrestling match, how do you think you'd do against Cain Velasquez?' And Schaub said - 'I think people would be surprised.' To which Rogan gave the brutally honest response of - 'Really? I think YOU would be surprised. I think you'd get smashed.' 

He's always been a bit delusional. But you'd think he'd learn not to go quite so far out on a limb with things that aren't proven. It's how he says it so sure of himself. If he speculated that Ngannou's wrestling MIGHT be better than we think, fine. But he talks about things like they're reality when there's nothing to base it on. Then once again looks like the big silly div he is when the opposite happens. 

19 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Then there was that time after Travis Browne bashed him up where Rogan had that uncomfortable intervention with him on his podcast, trying to convince him to retire for his own good. Rogan asked him something along the lines of - 'Honestly, in a straight wrestling match, how do you think you'd do against Cain Velasquez?' And Schaub said - 'I think people would be surprised.' To which Rogan gave the brutally honest response of - 'Really? I think YOU would be surprised. I think you'd get smashed.' 

That should have been hilarious. But I couldn't help feeling a bit sorry for Schuab on that occasion. Don't get me wrong, I don't get Schaub's appeal myself. He has quite the following these days, but he doesn't do anything for me personally. But Rogan was that brutal with him, that it just felt awkward. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, it was the only time I felt any remorse for him. I did feel a bit sorry for him. But I thought Rogan's criticisms, while pretty savage, were coming from a good place. He seemed genuinely worried that Schaub was going to stick around too long and get himself badly hurt. 

I can't figure out Schaub's appeal either. He's a big annoying manchild, he's not funny, he offers very little in terms of interesting insight and whenever a fighter gets popular he just jumps on their bandwagon and goes nuts with the hyperbole. He's even worse when paired with Callen. Just rotten. 

The first few seconds of that video Neil posted are all you really need. Callen says he thinks Miocic will win, and Schaub replies with an incredulous "REALLY?!" As if it's outrageous for someone to even suggest Ngannou might lose. Shocking simultaneous overrating of Ngannou and underrating Miocic. 

Archived