UFC 220: Miocic vs Ngannou

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

@AdamTH17 I saw something about Rockhold training with Oezdemir a few months back. Volkan was trolling DC about it, saying Rockhold was giving him inside info on how to beat DC. But DC said it was the other way around and Rockhold was giving him the scoop on Volkan. Fuck knows what's going on. It's all a bit strange. 

Edit - yeah, what Daz said. But I'm assuming this Embedded footage is much more recent? Seems odd that Rockhold is still training with Volkan now. Back when Volkan was originally doing the troll job I don't even think the fight was signed yet. However you slice it Rockhold is helping prepare Volkan for Cormier. Which is a bit fucking snakey if you ask me. Rockhold hasn't officially left AKA, has he? 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Stipe seems like such a lovable goof in these snippets on Embedded. In anything longer form or more direct interviews though, man, he just doesn't come across as interesting as when he's mucking about in his hometown. I've fallen for these two big bastards and I can't wait to see what happens and where they both go afterwards. 

• Paid Members

Why would the cut be getting more difficult for DC. Is it purely due to his age? He's a professional and well respected athlete. With a successful Olympic wrestling career. Surely this should be almost easy for him?

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Why would the cut be getting more difficult for DC. Is it purely due to his age? He's a professional and well respected athlete. With a successful Olympic wrestling career. Surely this should be almost easy for him?

He's struggled before. I don't know if this was 'more' difficult or if it was just another tough cut? I certainly don't think he's ever found it easy. Remember, he was a HW for longer than he's been LHW.

• Paid Members

It's most likely an age thing. I watched his interview with Helwani last night and he looked so shrunken in the face, even more than usual. It's not a good look. 

He's also said recently that he's not interested in heavyweight. He alluded to the size of guys like Ngannou being too big, but you've go to wonder how long he can keep making 205 without hanging onto towels or looking like He-man's nemesis. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, he's closing in on 40 plus he's a naturally stocky bloke anyway. Also you have to remember all the years he's been cutting weight for wrestling and breaking his body down repeatedly. It's got to take its toll as you get older and the miles on the clock pile up. 

• Paid Members

There was an interesting point brought IP on the Jeff Nowitzky JRE podcast. In 1FC they insist that you are hydrated when weighing in. A dehydrated fighter is not allowed to make weight in that condition. That rule would likely push DC into the Heavyweight class.

2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

got balls deep in the hype for this and the Bellator show over the last few days, cant stress how much difference it makes in terms of anticipation for an event, i can't fucking wait!

Aye, I am looking forward to tonight. I made sure to have a lie-in this morning so I would have enough reserves to make it through the night. 

I have decided to watch UFC 220 live, then Bellator when I wake up tomorrow. Takes me back to the days when I would wake up on a Sunday morning with a choice between a UFC show and an Elite Xc/Strikeforce show. 

• Paid Members

@Carbomb That must've been an oversight. Either that or the fight wasn't booked when I first knocked the opening post together. I definitely would've wanted to highlight that fight because it's a fight between two of featherweights brightest prospects IMO. 

Burgos is undefeated at 10-0, with 8 finishes. He's a heavy hitter for a lower weight guy and he's looked good so far in the UFC. He beat Pepey (who I'm a big fan of) last time out by decision and stopped Charles Rosa before that.

Kattar is the more experienced of the two at 17-2, with his losses coming early in his career. He's only had one UFC fight but he came in and beat Andre Fili on short notice. He's got pretty solid boxing from what I remember. Kattar is the hometown Boston boy as well so the crowd should be into it even more. 

Definitely a fight to keep an eye on. 

Anyway, just watched the Weigh Ins, here's my predictions;

MhFyD.jpg

Miocic vs Ngannou really is a bit of a tossup. Miocic is the more tested and proven of the two but Ngannou just has that x-factor and he's got huge momentum behind him coming off that Overeem KO. While Miocic, great as he is, hasn't fought since May. I'd love to see Ngannou win the title. Got a feeling Miocic takes this one though. Maybe they'll meet again down the road and Ngannou knocks his block off but right now tonight, my gut says Stipe. For all the talk of Ngannou's KO power, and it is frightening, is it all he's got? Stipe's got power himself, he's had to show toughness when fights have been going against him, he's gone 5 rounds, he's got a strong wrestling base to fall back on. These are all questions we've yet to have answered on Ngannou. What makes this so great though is that even if Miocic is better overall, Ngannou could still knock him out if he connects clean. He's that dangerous. 

Miocic by TKO for me though. Hope I'm wrong. I see Miocic playing it smart here. Grappling with Ngannou either against the fence or ideally taking him down. Then from there just wearing on him and making him carry his weight. Testing his cardio while softening him up with ground and pound and just sticking to him like glue. If he's successful at this then it's only going to get tougher for Ngannou as the rounds go by. He'll have to show JDS against Cain levels of durability to survive. Mark Hunt is one of the hardest men on the planet and he didn't last the distance under Stipe's top game. Of course this is all assuming Stipe can actually successfully grapple Ngannou. Who the fuck knows? Ngannou might have a Cro Cop sprawl on him for all we know. But based on what we do actually know, my head is telling me Miocic stoppage in the 2nd round. 

a9xLR.jpg

DC vs Oezdemir, on paper, is very similar to Miocic vs Ngannou IMO. You could basically copy what I've said about the main event, substitute the names and apply it to this fight. I just think Cormier is too well rounded, experienced and crafty for Volkan at this stage though. People will probably be quick to write DC off given his breakdown after the Jones loss but I just think he's an emotional guy like that. He was crying after the first Jones loss as well and went on to score his best wins over Gustafsson and Rumble (twice) after that. If he loses this fight I honestly don't think it'll be because of anything mental. Volkan could catch him but I'm a little bit more confident in my pick for this than I am with the main event. Just think DC's got this. And I don't know if I'm off base but watching Volkan this week, I just feel like he's not as confident the closer this fight has gotten. Ngannou is already carrying himself like a champ, I don't really sense the same thing from Oezdemir. 

Cormier by submission. He'll probably have to weather a storm but I think he comes out on top one way or another. If you look at the guys who have given DC problems it's really just Jones, Gustafsson and Rumble. Oezdemir is going to have to be on that level or better and I just haven't seen enough from him to convince me he is. He hits hard, we know that. But if he doesn't land that deathblow he's going to need to dig deep. And if he's lacking in wrestling defence and/or cardio, well he's in with the worst guy possible. 

PNDc.jpg

Kattar vs Burgos, for the reasons I've gone into above, could be a cracker. I don't feel like I've seen enough of either to make a strong call on this one really. My very basic assessment is that they both look like they're primarily strikers. Burgos looks the more powerful and Kattar is maybe a bit slicker and mixes it up more. 

I'll go with Burgos by decision as a bit of a shot in the dark. Kattar hasn't lost in years and it's in his hometown so that could give him the boost. But Burgos hasn't really shown any glaring weakness yet and I can see his power making the difference in the exchanges.

xOdVt.jpg

Villante vs Barroso is a bit of a strange choice for a PPV main card spot. Neither are contenders, neither are prospects, both are coming off losses. It's just been plonked in the middle of the PPV for whatever reason. I'm guessing because Villante is usually exciting and he's a North East guy. Bit of a coin flip fight. Haven't been overly impressed with Barroso and Villante has had a very patchy record in recent times. All that said, it'll probably be entertaining. Like I said, Villante is a scrapper. He'll throw down with anyone. And Barroso has 14 finishes out of his 19 career wins. 

I'll say Barroso on points. As much as I like Villante, it just feels like he's going nowhere and I think Barroso has a couple more tools to work with.

dxFit.jpg

Almeida vs Font is my pick for FOTN. This is a fight we've all been neglecting but it should be tremendous. I still think Thomas Almeida can make some noise in the title picture. He was getting some hype behind him before losing to Cody Garbrandt, it's died off since but I've never left the bandwagon. He'll be back in the mix before long, I think. Loved him busting out the old Pride Wandy staredown at the weigh in as well! And Rob Font is one of those fighters nobody really talks about but when you watch him he's really good. He's one of those guys I watch and I think should be doing better but for whatever reason he hasn't quite put that streak together yet. This could be a fantastic fight and one that possibly catapults the winner into a contenders fight. 

Fancying Almeida by KO myself but I wouldn't rule a Font upset out. Just think Almeida the better striker and unpredictable enough to keep Font hesitant. 

Full predictions;

Stipe Miocic by KO/TKO 

Daniel Cormier by Submission

Shane Burgos by Decision

Francimar Barroso by Decision

Thomas Almeida by KO/TKO 

Kyle Bochniak by Decision

Abdul Razak Alhassan by KO/TKO 

Dustin Ortiz by Decision

Julio Arce by KO/TKO 

Enrique Barzola by Decision

Islam Makhachev by KO/TKO

• Paid Members

I hope the PPV opens with The Imperial March, or something, replacing face the pain. This just feels like something massive is about to go down,

I was surprised Stipe was the clear fan favourite at the weigh ins. Hopefully more are on team Stipe, these days.

Archived