UFC 220: Miocic vs Ngannou

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I noticed that as well. You can't always tell from weigh in crowd responses because the majority of fans who go to weigh ins are probably more die hard than most. But it was a pretty loud reaction. Enough for me to notice anyway. Had to stop and remind myself this show isn't in Cleveland. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The Burgos/Kattar are two of those guys who are victims of the schedule for me. I know ive seen both guy's fight but can't put a finger on either. A PPV slot will help. In this day and age a PPV slot is the the kind of spotlight needed to solidify someone in my fight psyche. 

• Paid Members

Aye, will split screen it and see how it works out.

Have accessed Paramount through the channels website:

- Select 'watch live TV'

- When it tries to get you to sign in via your cable provider, scroll to the button which says 'can't find my tv provider'

- You can then sign up for a '24 hour free pass'.

- Use Hola or equivalent to route through the US, and you're in.

Bit of a ball ache, but will do the job.

1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

‘There’s levels to this thing...’

That about sums it up, doesn’t it?

Certainly does.

Stipe seemed pissed that many thought he'd just turn up and get K.O'd.

Fair play to the guy, he stuck to the game plan and executed it perfectly, he did what he needed to do to get the win, I really like the fella, it's difficult not too.

D.C. had a very easy night or just made it look that way.

• Paid Members

Was a pretty good show all in all. 

Miocic vs Ngannou was way more one sided than expected. Had a feeling Stipe would prove too well rounded for Ngannou but this was a complete shutout. A 25 minute squash match. Ngannou will be back in the mix. It's not the deepest division and a couple of KOs will take you a long way. The shot probably came too soom for him. I'm not the biggest fan of Miocic. Great, great fighter, just never warmed to him for whatever reason. But he's an absolute beast. He's got the record now for most heavyweight title defences. And looking at the current landscape of the division, it's hard to picture any of the current crop dethroning him. Nobody even stands out as an obvious next contender. He's pretty much completely cleaned out the division now. I mean, there's Cain, but is there really Cain? Is he ever going to be healthy again? And even then he hasn't fought in nearly 2 years now. It's not ideal but they might have to do Miocic vs Werdum 2 next just because there really aren't any other options at the moment. 

DC is the man. This was exactly what he needed coming off a shitty 2017. Like Ngannou, it just felt like Volkan wasn't ready. It really happened fast for Volkan. This time last year we'd never heard of him. To go from unknown to fighting DC for the title in less than a year is nuts. It'll be a learning experience though and he'll hopefully come back better. People love to count DC out but it's becoming increasingly clear that unless you're Jon Jones, you're probably not beating him. Cormier vs Gustafsson 2 is surely next? And I can't wait. 

Kattar vs Burgos turned out to be a good fight. It was a bit of a case of matador (Kattar) vs bull (Burgos) for the first two rounds. Technique vs power. Really liked Burgos' body shots. Thought it was an even fight going into the third and then Kattar just wrecked him with that crazy flurry early in the third. Awesome finish. 

Villante vs Barroso did nothing for me, to be honest. I say through it waiting for something good to happen but I just couldn't get into it. The MMA show equivalent of the wrestling show piss break match. 

Rob Font stopping Thomas Almeida was impressive. It felt like a case of Font really stepping up his game in this one and it was a good way to open up the PPV. Sad to see Almeida put away but it was a big statement from Font and I'd like to see him build on it. 

Prelims weren't anything special. I actually really enjoyed Ortiz vs Pantoja. Wasn't a particularly exciting fight but it was a really good grappling struggle. That Abdul Razak Alhassan uppercut KO was brutal. 

Dana’s said he wants to make Stipe/Cormier next and has even offered to let DC drop the title immediately if he’s worried about Cain coming back.

DC has said no, pretty much, because that’s ‘Cains world’.

I mean... fuck off.

Cain’s not due back till the end of the year, and probably shouldn’t walk back into a title fight anyway. Just do the fucking fight you nob. Particularly as there’s no immediate HW contender and Gustafson has just had surgery. Let’s not get stuck with nothing fights in nothing divisions, if we don’t have too.

I want to like DC. I want to judge people that boo him. I really do. But he doesn’t help himself at times. He’s quite smug and sanctimonious too; that ‘you did a great job, young man’ line after the fight prickled my pears too.

• Paid Members

I don't even really want to see Miocic vs Cormier. Even as thin on contenders as both the heavyweight and light heavyweight divisions are, I just don't have that much interest in Stipe vs DC. And a lot of that is because I don't think DC should even be at heavyweight. Sure he did good at the weight in the past but he never fought anyone on the level of where Miocic is operating now. Plus he was clearly too small for the weight. Fuck, he looks small in there with 205ers but at least he's strong at the weight and has to get himself in shape to make 205. DC at heavyweight is fat and even more undersized. I have little interest in it. 

And it's so short sighted. All the UFC seem to want now is the quick fix all the time. Instead of concentrating on building the heavyweight and 205 divisions up they just want to throw the champs together, sending one guy out of his division to most likely get bashed up by a bigger man. I get the champ vs champ thing in some cases. When it's a genuine superfight. Like GSP vs Penn 2 was in 2009. Or like Anderson vs GSP would've been in 2010/11ish. But they seem to think the answer to everything now is these forced 'superfights' between champions that might pop a decent buyrate in the short term but could be damaging and also hold up divisions in the long run. 

I'd much rather see Cormier vs Gustafsson 2 next over seeing Cormier getting himself all bloated up on Popeyes chicken and literally fattening himself up for the kill against Stipe. What's the point? DC vs Gus is a competitive, legit title match and rematch of their 2015 FOTY contender. Miocic vs Cormier is a short term cash grab (and i'm not even convinced it brings in that much cash anyway) and does nothing for either division. 

Let Miocic bash up Werdum again. Or better yet finally set up that Stipe vs Cain fight. Actual heavyweight title fights. And let DC do his thing at 205. The divisions might actually work themselves out if they have some patience. But it seems like as soon as a champion starts putting any kind of run together these days, all the UFC want to do is rush to these cobbled together 'superfights' that ultimately halt one champ's momentum. If they had this mentality back in 2005 then Chuck Liddell would've probably been thrown into a 'superfight' with Andrei Arlovski or Tim Sylvia and it would've fucked that tremendous run right up. I just think they're forcing these 'superfights' a bit too much now. The phrase has been devalued. Surely a true superfight is one that fans are clamouring for organically. Not being forcefed it by a promoter. A superfight to me isn't just a basic champion vs champion fight. It's a fight that captures the fascination of the fans beyond the usual hype. An absolute must-see that if it doesn't happen would be seen as a travesty. Fedor vs Couture in 2007 was a superfight. Fedor vs Brock in 2009 was a superfight. Anderson vs GSP between 2009-12 was a superfight. Cain vs Jones around 2012/13 would've been. They all got away but there were periods in time when those were genuine mega fights in the sport. There's only really one truly special superfight in MMA right now for me. And that's GSP vs McGregor. If they can make that in 2018, it's an absolute monster fight. Fights like Miocic vs DC, Mighty Mouse vs Dillashaw, Cyborg vs Nunes etc, yeah I'd watch them if they happened, but I wouldn't really be bothered if they never do.  

Thing is though, Cormier is a weird one.

He looks like a short, fat light-heavyweight but he actually has to murder himself to make the weight. Whatever he’s done to his body over the years, he clearly now belongs at heavyweight for better or worst.

And whilst both divisions wait for either challengers to be decided, or healthy, I’d quite happily watch Cormier/Stipe. They both seem to negate the others strengths, so it’d be interesting to see where the levy breaks.

• Paid Members

Yeah, he's a funny shape. He's too short for heavyweight or 205 really. There are probably bantamweights with his height and reach. But he's also way too thick and stocky to cut to 185. So he's in a sort of no-mans land. 

I do think a move to heavyweight is a bad idea for him at this stage though. DC did well at heavyweight in the past but he wasn't fighting Stipe level guys because there really weren't any around back then. Especially in Strikeforce. And despite people thinking the heavyweight division hasn't evolved, at the very top of the division it has. It might only be the top 2 or 3 guys but the skill level at the very top is way better than it's ever been for MMA heavyweights. You just weren't seeing guys with the combination of power, technique, speed and a rounded game like Stipe possesses now. Werdum when he's on is elite as well. As is Cain when he's healthy. I'd say those 3 are the most skilled heavyweights all-round we've ever seen. DC was able to get by at heavyweight back in Strikeforce and early in his UFC run, even with the stunted frame, because he was so good technically. He was beating good guys but guys who, with hindsight, were winding down in their careers. Asking him to go up now and face Stipe Miocic is a different ball game. 

He's not beating Stipe. So if he can't beat the champ, what's he doing? And I think deep down he knows that. That's why he's giving the 'it's Cain's division' line. He's a proud competitor. He's not going to say, 'I'm too small to beat Stipe'. If he can't be the champ I don't think he wants to play that game and just be a heavyweight also ran. 

Archived