What's my best match? #1

tiger_rick

1. Jeff Jarrett:  Torn on this one. He had a great match with Shawn Michaels at an In your House. But it has to be the cage match against Angle at Lockdown in 2011. I remember not being that fussed going in but it's up there in my favorite ever cage matches.  (Bret vs Owen obvs).

2. Kevin Owens: First One with Cena. This felt like a big deal and I really like the story they told. Not so much face vs Heel but Indie vs WWE almost. Owens did all his most 'Steen-a-riffic' moves and as usual Cena put in a stellar performance. The fact that Cena lost clean as a whistle was shocking at the time as well.

3. Sid: Pick a squash any squash. I've gone this one: 

Orton's by a million miles is vs. Cactus Jack at Backlash 2004. Pre-"voices"/viper/all that other current day Orton shit that makes me shrug my shoulders, he was a despicable, cocky little shit  with Evolution and everybody was clamouring for him to get his arse handed to him in this re-do of the HHH match at the Rumble 2000. I say re-do, this stood out on it's own merits though. Orton coming out with a little pissweak 2x4 with one strand of barbed wire on it, that fell apart as Cactus comes down with barbie showed how out of his depth Orton seemed. The missed RKO onto tacks is a brilliant spot which Orton sold (if you can call it selling) brilliantly and nobody saw Orton taking that bump, making him look even better once he eventually won. Also enjoy the teased flaming table spot until Bischoff comes out and stops it threatening to shut the show down, the massive bastard. That just made it more astounding when they eventually would put on a flaming table spot for Foley/Edge and ECW One Night Stand

11 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

The missed RKO onto tacks is a brilliant spot which Orton sold (if you can call it selling) brilliantly

Absolutely.  The way he shook and his "Oh Fuck" expression really made you think he had just realised he was out of his depth. 

1. Jeff Jarrett

Shawn Michaels - IYH 95 - Bloody love this match!

2. Kevin Owens

John Cena - 2015 - Elimination Chamber - The fat bastard beat John Cena in his first official match and it was during a period when Cena was the best performer in the company.

3. Big Sid

Shawn Michaels - SVS 96 - It should have been SID giving everyone stunners in 97 because he was so over in this match and made me boo the shit out of Shawn! Fuck José Lothario as well.

4. Randy Orton

Mick Foley - Backlash 2004 - This match made Randy Orton a main eventer. Perfect end to one of my favourite storylines of all time.

5. Dean Malenko

Scotty 2 Hotty - Backlash 2000  - A great lightweight contest between these two in my favourite year of wrestling!

6. Kane

Chris Benoit - Bad Blood 2003 - won't see Kane appear in many MOTY contenders but I find this little gem to be his best performance but doesn't help it was against Benoit!

• Paid Members

For Jarrett I'd go for the second match with Angle, the street fight, late 2008/early 2009, probably my favourite TNA match ever . Crazy heated, bloody, with a great rivalry sparking it. It's not just a good pick for his best match, but also for his best individual performance. He made a phenomenal babyface, it's a shame we didn't get to see much more of it.

• Paid Members

My picks:

1. Jarrett vs. Shawn Michaels - IYH 2. The best Jarrett ever looked was in this IC title match. JJ is not a guy I've ever loved but he was never bad. Just dull. This is a belter though. He was in there with one of the best, like.

2. Owens main roster debut vs. Cena is an obvious one but the best thing I've ever seen from him.

3. Have to go with Sid vs. HBK at Survivor Series 96. Love sid squashing fools but he wasn't great in longer matches. This one was a minor miracle. Always loved the crowd shitting on HBK too. NY didn't love the boy toy.

4. Orton was so fucking good in 2004. Until he won the title at SummerSlam he was brilliant as the brash upstart "Legend Killer". A great promo and a top worker for his experience. I mentioned recently there was a brilliant TV main event with RVD in January. orton was carrying the Raw main events at the start of 2004. The RKO was shit but everything else, including his physique, has gone downhill since. That match with Foley at Backlash is just fantastic. He's never topped it for me.

5. I was thinking the Malenko/Scotty 2 Hotty match at Backlash 2000 for this one too. malenko had great matches in WCW and ECW for years before this but they all merge into one for me, like most of the WCW cruiser stuff. This was a great match given a platform on the big stage and stood out. Possibly my favourite WWE cruiser/lightweight match ever.

6. TBC

Kane: I'd have to go with the 2001 Royal Rumble. Did the iron man stint only to fall at the last, and showcased all of him - a monster, clearing out the midcarders and setting the records, the Drew Carey bit was tolerable as it was over quickly and with the quick turnover of new guys coming into the ring, the whole focus wasn't just on him.

Agree with the first 4 of Bukamania's for much the same reasons....

5. Dean Malenko - personally, I think the match I enjoyed him in most was either him and Benoit Vs. Raven and Saturn from Spring Stampede, or that sexy 10 man from Raw in Dallas. With him, my mind instantly draws to Eddie and Rey, but I much prefer those tags.

6. Kane - Probably the Shield's debut match at TLC. That match was awesome. Any time Kane was in there with a great singles guy, it almost always fell short of the mark. But he was great as a side-focus in the six man.

• Paid Members

Good topic! I don't tend to rewatch much wrestling so with some of the older guys, it really will be most memorable matches as opposed to best.

1. Jeff Jarrett - vs Kurt Angle, TNA Genesis 2009. Jarrett was an incredible babyface in this match. There's a moment where he's crawling down the ramp back toward the ring, after taking an Angle Slam from the ramp through a table, with a look of complete determination mixed with pain that I totally bought into. One of the only times TNA did drama right. 

2. Kevin Owens - vs Sami Zayn, NXT TakeOver: Rival. I was a big fan of Zayn at this time and really bought into the story of the match. Zayn refusing to stay down, Owens being a vicious bastard and continuing his assault, and I loved the belt changing hands by ref stoppage - just made perfect sense for Owens character at that time.

3. Big Sid - HBK, Survivor Series 96. Always loved HBK bumping like a motherfucker for bigger guys like Sid and Diesel. 

4. Randy Orton - vs Christian, Summerslam 2011. Christian was the best heel in the company at this time and they had a belter at MITB the month before. I probably just about prefer this match because I'm always a fan of dickhead heels getting their comeuppance, and Christian gave Orton so much in this match after winning the title in true dickhead fashion at MITB.. Fantastic finish too, with an RKO onto the steel steps. I do love the Foley Backlash match, mind.

5. Dean Malenko - vs Eddie Guerrero, ECW 1995.Their last match before departing to WCW. As much as I love the Raw 10-man from 2000, this was one of my first experiences of a different style and presentation of wrestling and really opened my eyes, so I'm picking it based on that value really.

6. Kane - vs The Shield, TLC 2012. Fuck Kane. He's rubbish. I'm just cheating and picking this because Liam picked it earlier, and it really was a fantastic debut for The Shield, and Kane probably had nothing to do with it being any good. 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Agree with the first 4 of Bukamania's for much the same reasons....

5. Dean Malenko - personally, I think the match I enjoyed him in most was either him and Benoit Vs. Raven and Saturn from Spring Stampede, or that sexy 10 man from Raw in Dallas. With him, my mind instantly draws to Eddie and Rey, but I much prefer those tags.

6. Kane - Probably the Shield's debut match at TLC. That match was awesome. Any time Kane was in there with a great singles guy, it almost always fell short of the match. But he was great as a side-focus in the six man.

That Malenko/Benoit Vs Raven/Saturn match is an absolute stormer. I love the way it keeps looking like it's going to degenerate into a brawl, but somehow always manages to return to being a traditional tag team match, and it never feels contrived.

1. Jeff Jarrett vs Shawn Michaels from IYH. For the same reasons everyone else unanimously listed, this is easily the showcase match for Jarrett.

2. Kevin Owens vs Sami Zayn from NXT Takeover. Cracking match, excellent emotion and memorable story arc. Probably the best of their many matches together.

3. Big Sid vs Goldberg, Halloween Havoc '99. I was going to select the Survivor Series '96 match with Michaels, but went with this as an alternative as it was an enjoyable, hard-hitting encounter that some people here might not know about due to how otherwise dross this period in WCW was. Sid bled a gusher as well.

4. Randy Orton vs Mick Foley, Backlash '04. The match that made Orton. Foley was in arguably the best shape he'd been in for his entire WWF/WWE run as well, and it was his best match since Mind Games with Michaels.

5. Dean Malenko - Enjoyed his WCW feud with Jericho but I haven't paid enough attention to Malenko's matches to choose an educated favourite match.

6. Kane vs 'Taker, Mania XIV. Yes I know it's not the best match technically, but I found this to be a thrilling big-man brawl and I enjoyed it immensely at the time and for years afterwards.

• Paid Members

Jeff Jarrett: vs Shawn Michaels - IYH 2 - Easily Jarrett's best match of any of his that I have seen. A great match that often get's overlooked when thinking of the best matches from Shawn's career, but automatically pops to mind when thinking of Double J.

Kevin Owens: I have to say, I'm not usually that impressed with Kevin Owens in ring. He's a good promo as well as can be equally good at comedy and being serious, a bit like Angle in that way. However I find the majority of his matches to be complete spot fests. The best of those on the main roster was his first match against John Cena.

Big Sid: vs Shawn Michaels Survivor Series 96. This was an easy pick. Shawn showed just how good he was here by pulling out this gem with the big man. Sid's finest hour. 

Orton: vs Foley @ Backlash 2004. Another one of my picks that is the same as the majority here, but it put Orton right to the forefront and whilst he has came close since in some other matches, I don't know if he ever bettered it. 

Kane: This was a difficult one - most of his best matches have all hovered around the same level. I can't pick, so I'm just going to go with his most famous outing - against The Undertaker at 'Mania XIV.

• Paid Members
On 19/10/2017 at 4:31 AM, L_E_T_H_A_L said:

3. Big Sid vs Goldberg, Halloween Havoc '99. I was going to select the Survivor Series '96 match with Michaels, but went with this as an alternative as it was an enjoyable, hard-hitting encounter that some people here might not know about due to how otherwise dross this period in WCW was. Sid bled a gusher as well.

I just watched this after I'd seen you mention it here and it was a really good scrap, thanks for mentioning it as I'd never watched Havoc '99. Flicking through what is contained in the rest of the show as well, I'm not sure I ever would have bothered. 

Archived