Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

As excited as I am about Tony/Khabib, Moose/Lima, Bader/Nemkov, and Stylebender/Romero, etc - I am already missing this dude - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WClTwwnvsp8&t=

I honestly believe he's one of the very best fighters in the world, yet because he got stopped in his last fight and his return to America got cut short, he isn't considered as such. I just hope he can return to full fitness and prove me right in the years to come. 

• Paid Members

Justin Willis has signed up with the PFL. Thats a good signing for them I think, and a good move for him as well. He could do good things for both his win record and his bank balance with them.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/2/11/21133459/ufc-vet-justin-willis-signs-with-pfl-looks-forward-to-being-on-a-different-level

• Paid Members

Interesting read here. Boxing trainer Joe Goossen (has trained guys like Amir Khan, Shane Mosley and Diego Corrales) gives his thoughts on Stipe Miocic, Francis Ngannou and Jorge Masvidal’s boxing.

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/28653496/could-mma-fighters-cut-boxing-ring?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

He really rates Masvidal. Always nice to see Boxing and MMA guys talk positively about each other. Between this and Teddy Atlas having the likes of Masvidal and Poirier on his podcast, there’s been more of that lately. 

Rizin didn't do a broadcast with English commentary for their show this morning. 

I watched Mikuru Asakura's fight on Youtube (with Japanese commentary). Asakura is probably Rizin's best homegrown fighter. While it was his brother (Kai) who famously beat Horiguchi last year, it is Mikuru who is thought by many to be the more talented of the two Asakura brothers. Mikuru continued his winning streak this morning by stopping Daniel Salas - a fighter who apparently appeared on one of the Latin editions of the TUF. 

Afterwards, Nobuyuki Sakakibara entered the ring with Kotetsu Boku - a 42 year old who is coming off a 3 fight losing skid in One FC. This set the table for a fight between Boku and Asakura at Rizin's next show in April. 

In short, don't expect Rizin to be overly interesting until Horiguchi returns and Cape defends the BW belt. 

Edited by jimufctna24

On 2/16/2020 at 9:07 AM, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah, there was another clip from later on the same show, of a different ref doing it. Maybe it’s a common thing over there.

Most fights in Thailand are fixed, because betting on bouts is huge. There are men taking bets at ringside, in the bleachers and proper booths.There was a big thing of a lot of the dutch american guys winning fights within the first round, because that first round is used as a feeling out process and to bring in the bets. So the natives weren't expecting to have to defend properly early on. The ref dropping along with the guy getting KO'ed shows that the fighter has dropped once he was given the signal by the ref. It's also to help protect the falling fighter's head.if it's a legit KO.