General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if anyone is watching the first Match Of The Day (Premier League) but watching Hanson & Lineker talk about the pass back rule changing and how teams will need to adapt feels so strange. Lineker in particular predicting keepers kicking the ball into the stands will happen more and defenders maybe one day being comfortable. Flash forward to today and you have the likes of Peps teams playing from the back and sweeper keepers. 

Also I miss Barry Davis on commentary. 

• Paid Members

Thought Wolves looked the business tonight. Going away in the Championship and playing what is almost 3-2-5 should suicide but they had the class to do it. Nuno has got them set up great. Neves is as good as you'll ever see in this division.

We're decent but those Allam cunts have fucked about again all summer and we just don't have the squad to compliment the 7 or 8 really good players we've got. Depth of Wolves squad way better than ours. And Abel Hernandez looked badly injured. Fucking game.

13 hours ago, Briefcase said:

Not sure if anyone is watching the first Match Of The Day (Premier League) but watching Hanson & Lineker talk about the pass back rule changing and how teams will need to adapt feels so strange. Lineker in particular predicting keepers kicking the ball into the stands will happen more and defenders maybe one day being comfortable. Flash forward to today and you have the likes of Peps teams playing from the back and sweeper keepers. 

Also I miss Barry Davis on commentary. 

I watched this last night and it was a nice piece of nostalgia. How Giggs never got a penalty was mind-blowing and how Eric Cantona did not get sent off for that basement drop-kick I do not know. Some pretty shocking ties by the pundits as well. 

• Members
2 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Where can I find that? I'm a sucker for watching old football broadcasts

On the iplayer. Go to the sports category.

Watching this is fun. Motson mentioning the backpass rule a hundred times, only 3 subs(!!!), and the youthfulness of Lineker.

Also, anyone that's watched this or knows, how come a free kick was given in the area for a high foot and not a penalty?

3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

On the iplayer. Go to the sports category.

Watching this is fun. Motson mentioning the backpass rule a hundred times, only 3 subs(!!!), and the youthfulness of Lineker.

Also, anyone that's watched this or knows, how come a free kick was given in the area for a high foot and not a penalty?

I thought I heard Motson mention that half time had only just been extended from 10 to 15 minutes that year as well.

A high foot comes under Rule 12.2 (playing a dangerous manner) which results in an indirect free kick. 

Nowadays it'd probably go down as a reckless, careless or excessive challenge, yeah, but it's all down to interpretation really. I'm not sure how much the wording of the rules has changed in the past 25 years, just the guidelines.

14 minutes ago, KJHenley said:

When was the last time an indirect free kick was given in a notable match? Feel like I haven't seen one in years, which is no bad thing, as they're shite.

They're given in every match with players caught offside (so basically all of them), but if you mean indirect free kicks given for any other reason, then nothing springs to mind for me either.

Archived