General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

I think we can all agree FFP has been a roaring success.

The fact people only talk about FFP when it's a "sugar daddy" boogeyman team spending money proves that it's doing the exact job it was designed to (especially now as it's a "historic club" as the "victim"). Barca spent upwards of £150m in total on the same player, much of it from outside the clubs own money, after jotting down a bogus fee on their accounts. UEFA never punished them. And that's if we're just pretending it only happened with Neymar alone.

It's the most Barca thing ever to go crying to UEFA about another team breaking a rule that they're exempt from themselves.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
20 minutes ago, Glenryck Pilchards said:

I have only just spotted this @Shy Dad. I am planning to run a second edition of the Brain of the UKFF but there will be a couple of tweaks. The major one will be not using Sporcle, I will reveal all once my baby will allow me to sleep more than 4 hours per night.

Best news of the year so far 👍

Oh, something about Neymar...yeah load of money but it really is irrelevant in this day and age isn't it? How much is Suarez worth, £200m? Messi, £500m? 

Its just numbers on a screen.

Neymar will annihilate that league, PSG will piss it like they did 2 years ago by 30 odd points, especially with Monaco being torn apart, he'll have a decent WC, but still come 3rd in the Ballon D'Or and we can all continue with our lives. 

Barcelona have a huge transfer left in them this summer. Could it be Sanchez?

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

Unless PSG win a few European cups I cannot see Neymar being taken that seriously against Ronaldo/Messi.

Why not? I don't see why he has to win a few European cups to be considered the best player in the world. That's never been a pre-requisite for any other player. Ronaldo & Messi have won it consistently because nobody has come close to showcasing their talent better. Neymar now has that opportunity to do so.

It's an enormous amount to spend on one player, and it's also very easy to dismiss it as being too much without truly knowing what commercial effect this signing will have. It's also wrong to assume that kit sales will help recoup this- because it won't really, PSG have their fee already agreed with Nike and therefore the manufacturer will reap the benefits here. However, you would imagine the deal will include something in relation to Neymar's image rights, and then the financial benefits start to stack up for PSG.

They will have potentially the most marketable footballer in history. He is infinitely more marketable than Messi and probably more so than Ronaldo (who to many has an unforgiving arrogance about him). He has a highly marketable image- he's not a bad looking guy, often has distinctive hairstyles and is already a face for many fashion brands. This combined with the potential to be the best footballer in the world, which is certainly true, mixed with the fact that football has never been bigger and is growing still at an alarming rate, means he could very well become the biggest name in football since the impotent Brazilian Heskey (Pele, btw). By having the John Cena of football on board means they can secure more lucrative commercial deals, which is where most club revenue stems from these days.

Also worth noting that Nasser and his friends who run PSG also have significant business interests, including their own sports network which runs across the Middle East, Africa and North America. PSG haven't signed Neymar, the Qatari royal family have. He'll be all over their commercial interests.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

We've seen with Cannavaro etc that a great World Cup can be enough.

Oh of course, being a key player during the World Cup - especially for the winning team - can help massively. It's not the same as having to 'win a few European cups', though. If Brazil win the tournament next summer (and to be honest, looking at the talent they currently have they must be one of the favourites), and Neymar has a blistering tournament, he already has a good chance.

24 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Also worth noting that Nasser and his friends who run PSG also have significant business interests, including their own sports network which runs across the Middle East, Africa and North America. PSG haven't signed Neymar, the Qatari royal family have. He'll be all over their commercial interests.

Indeed. And hold on, Qatar are hosting the World Cup in 5 years time, aren't they? I wonder who might be the poster boy for that tournament, with the possibility of Messi and Ronaldo having retired? Hmmmmm!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Briefcase said:

Neymar is decent but £198m? Wow. 

He's not decent though, is he? He's easily one of the best players in the world and when all things are considered, the price is completely justifiable. 

• Paid Members

Out of interest, has the official world transfer record shot up this much (more than double) this quickly before? As PunkStep typed early, Pogba seems like a bit of a bargain now.

Certainly, Barca thought their £198M release clause was essentially a "fuck off". Oops.

• Paid Members

In terms of value, obviously not. But in terms of % I wasn't sure it would be- but apparently it is.

Going by pound sterling and not taking into account inflation: The £198m PSG will pay for Neymar will be 122% higher than the previous world record fee (£89m for Pogba).

The closest to this increase is Bernabe Ferreyra, who moved from Tigre to River Plate in 1932 for £23k- which was £12.1k higher than the previous record- a 111% increase. In the post-war era, the two closest were Cruyff (£922k from Ajax to Barca in 1973- 84.4% increase) and Maradona (£3m from Boca to Barca in 1982- 71.4% increase). Heh, look at that- Barca inflating the market on two occasions there. Makes this Neymar situation even funnier.

In the Premier League/Champions League era, Vieri's move from Lazio to Inter in 1999 for £32.1m (45.83% increase) is the largest hike.

Perhaps I should get back to work...

2 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Nevertheless, FFP has been a shit show. I'm not defending Barca or any Spanish club, I too dislike them. The reason I brought it up is because it's £198M on one player.

Without attempting to sound like im justifying that sort of money, because im not. But, its just a % of a clubs revenue. By the standards of the 90's, players that are going to record fees are reasonable value. Pogba for instance cost less as a percentage of Uniteds annual revenue than say Van Nistelrooy, Veron or a Ferdinand. PSH paying such a big fee for Neymar is just going back to the days when Figo, Zidane, Vieri and others were going for huge chunks of a clubs revenue. In this instance, when it is clearly on a highly talented player, I cant really argue with it.

I do laugh that Barca apparantly paid Neymars dad £20m+ as a loyalty payment on July 31st, which was a clause in his new contract. Barca really have thrown bucket loads at Neymar and his family.

5 hours ago, PunkStep said:

t's an enormous amount to spend on one player, and it's also very easy to dismiss it as being too much without truly knowing what commercial effect this signing will have. It's also wrong to assume that kit sales will help recoup this- because it won't really, PSG have their fee already agreed with Nike and therefore the manufacturer will reap the benefits here. However, you would imagine the deal will include something in relation to Neymar's image rights, and then the financial benefits start to stack up for PSG.

You're right, but it is quite 'fortuitous' for PSG having their new away kit being quite marketable for a Brazilian star:

QQ_20170630095222_large.jpg?v=1498789790

Archived