General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
2 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Call me old fashioned, but I miss proper strike partnerships when every team had two strikers up front. I was talking about it to my brother-in-law the other day, that nowadays football refers to "forwards" and you hear "striker less and less. Players like Ronaldo and Messi have carved a niche that means they score millions of goals each season despite not actually being strikers, and so teams try to emulate the formations/style that their clubs play.

It also means that the market for actual centre forwards has become a bit odd over the years. There're naturally less strikers about as big clubs are only looking to sign and regularly play half as many as they might have 10 years ago. With Chelsea signing Morata and making it out to be a huge, marquee signing, it's like if your your club in the 90s made a massive deal over signing one half or Sutton and Shearer and it being Sutton.

Who are considered the best centre forwards in the world now? It just seems that the 90s premiership had more top stikers in the league than we have in the entire world right now.

Maybe I just don't follow football enough?

No, I agree with you.

I'm forever trying to persist with a 'big man, small man' combo in Football Manager, to very limited success. I still can't get my head around the fact that wingers whipping in balls to lumbering 6'2'' target men is something that's becoming less and less common.

Controversially perhaps, I have always preferred watching Real over Barca and have never fully appreciated Messi simply because nice passing football doesn't do much for me tbh. Blame it on watching too much non-league standard over the years, but give me a pacey counter attack or a 25 yard screamer over a build-up involving all 10 outfield players or something like that.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

No, I agree with you.

I'm forever trying to persist with a 'big man, small man' combo in Football Manager, to very limited success. I still can't get my head around the fact that wingers whipping in balls to lumbering 6'2'' target men is something that's becoming less and less common.

Controversially perhaps, I have always preferred watching Real over Barca and have never fully appreciated Messi simply because nice passing football doesn't do much for me tbh. Blame it on watching too much non-league standard over the years, but give me a pacey counter attack or a 25 yard screamer over a build-up involving all 10 outfield players or something like that.

I'm not a fan of all the tippy tappy stuff either. Both Keith Hill and Lee Johnson tried it when they were manager of Barnsley and it was just turgid and frustrating to watch. Paul Heckingbottom, our current manager plays an attractive, quick direct game using quick wingers and full backs and it's great to watch...

• Members
1 hour ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Daniel Levy opens up a bit about his view on current spending on transfers and our lack of activity:

http://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/daniel-levy-spurs-transfer-window-13384441

I've had issues with him in the past, but it's clear he loves the club and wants to leave a lasting legacy. I wouldn't swap him for anyone else to be honest, he's on the ball. 

• Paid Members

Daniel Levy talks about Spurs' lack of transfer activity:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40722879

I'm getting this strange feeling of deja vu, perhaps another club from North London saying virtually the same thing ten years or so ago whilst paying for a stadium. All we need is a comment about wanting to give younger players a chance instead and they've gone full Arsenal 2007...

"Our position on transfers is that we have a coach who very much believes in the academy, so unless we can find a player that makes a difference we would rather give one of our young academy players a chance."

Uh-oh!

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Guy Bifkin said:

Do Tottenham really need anyone for their first team? They are a pretty young side, very talented, incredibly fit and getting more big game experience every year. 

That's what I think.

There was a massive panic buy last year to buy Sissoko, which was just a waste of money. I can't think of anyone out there, within Spurs' means/willingness to pay, that would improve the first XI, although perhaps a promising youngster or two is still a possibility.

The academy set-up is very good though, and Spurs are one of the very few teams at the top end of the table who actually give them a chance instead of hoarding youngsters to stop other clubs from signing them (I'm looking at you Chelsea and City). 

I'm worried for Welsh youngster Ethan Ampadu who signed for Chelsea a few weeks back, I can see years of loan moves and career stagnation there.

1 hour ago, BigJag said:

I see Adam Richmond (Man Vs Food), Balor, I think Ledley King, and I'm unsure who that is in the white top. Is this recent?

it looks a bit like one of the guys in Ballers - the comedy drama The Rock has made about American Football. I don't know his name though.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Guy Bifkin said:

Do Tottenham really need anyone for their first team? They are a pretty young side, very talented, incredibly fit and getting more big game experience every year. 

I think out of all of the top teams, they have no obvious weakness in their starting XI. I wouldn't really look at improving that as such.

It's the depth however, that's where they need to invest. Wimmer isn't that good and also looking to leave and Dier isn't suited to CB- therefore when one of the Belgian defenders are injured it affects the team in a big way. All of the big clubs need 3-4 decent centre backs, more if they're playing 3 at the back.

Spurs are playing their second consecutive season in the Champions League and were pretty dreadful in it last season, they need a bigger squad to compete on all fronts. If Kane is out, they're absolutely fucked unless they win penalties for Janssen to put away. Their first XI is as good as any in the league, perhaps even the best (I feel physically sick saying that), but their second XI is perhaps the weakest out of the top 6.

Chelsea had the best XI when they won the league a couple of years ago but didn't have a deep squad, they were blessed with few injuries and consistent form. The following season, with a few injuries and when some (well, most, in this example) of the players' form dropped, they were fucked. It's a squad sport these days, not a team sport.

Archived