General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Hernandez at £13m is an incredible bit of business. West Ham have done very well this window with Zabaleta on a free and Hart (who despite being pretty shit is still an upgrade on what they have) on loan. Poundshop Zlatan is their big money signing and he is definitely what they need- he just needs some consistency.

I can't believe Hernandez is 29. Where the fuck did time go.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

You're not going to get much better than that for someone that knows they will barely get a run-out behind Kane, though.

Janssen in fairness scored like 135 goals in his final season in the Dutch league, and he's proper wank.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

You're not going to get much better than that for someone that knows they will barely get a run-out behind Kane, though.

Janssen in fairness scored like 135 goals in his final season in the Dutch league, and he's proper wank.

This is it. Hernandez would have been a fine back up Kane. This is the issue that we have at the moment. We need to sign a couple of players who are going to have the quality we need whilst also happy playing second fiddle. It's difficult.

• Members

He's not wank, he just needs time (and a diet, and a first touch, and some confidence)

That was my point, Hernandez is at his level. There must be a youngster out there that we can buy. I don't watch Scottish football, would Dembele do well in the prem? 

2 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

This is it. Hernandez would have been a fine back up Kane. This is the issue that we have at the moment. We need to sign a couple of players who are going to have the quality we need whilst also happy playing second fiddle. It's difficult.

Kane cannot play every single game though. If Spurs are serious as a football club they need quality throughout the squad. Kane cannot be expected to play in every competition every 3 days. 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Briefcase said:

Kane cannot play every single game though. If Spurs are serious as a football club they need quality throughout the squad. Kane cannot be expected to play in every competition every 3 days. 

True, but I'll they're not going to get a player anywhere near as good as Kane just to play second fiddle are they? Look at every other club's second choice striker compared to their first choice. Real had arguably the best second choice striker, and he's just left them so he can establish himself as first choice at Chelsea.

@johnnyboy I bet the intern handling the Spurs Twitter account has that image ready to go whenever there's a penalty. "Go on Vincent, it's your time to shine. Smash it down the middle"

• Paid Members

On the current market, £16 million for Chicharito is nuts. West Ham got a bargain and a bigger club is going to look pretty stupid if he has a great season and end up buying him for a lot more off the back of that.

• Paid Members

You don't get many playing two up front these days. Some are starting to do it more and the popularity of three at the back helps. Monaco and Atleti have often played two up top lately.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

Call me old fashioned, but I miss proper strike partnerships when every team had two strikers up front. I was talking about it to my brother-in-law the other day, that nowadays football refers to "forwards" and you hear "striker less and less. Players like Ronaldo and Messi have carved a niche that means they score millions of goals each season despite not actually being strikers, and so teams try to emulate the formations/style that their clubs play.

It also means that the market for actual centre forwards has become a bit odd over the years. There're naturally less strikers about as big clubs are only looking to sign and regularly play half as many as they might have 10 years ago. With Chelsea signing Morata and making it out to be a huge, marquee signing, it's like if your your club in the 90s made a massive deal over signing one half or Sutton and Shearer and it being Sutton.

Who are considered the best centre forwards in the world now? It just seems that the 90s premiership had more top stikers in the league than we have in the entire world right now.

Maybe I just don't follow football enough?

I know you being an Arsenal fan, it's not the sort of thing you want to hear, But Kane has got to be one of the best "old school" strikers around hasn't he? Certainly the closest England have had to Shearer-esque striker for a long time anyway...

• Paid Members

In the Premiership, Mourinho takes a lot of the blame for that, sadly. His 4-5-1/4-3-3 made good old fashioned 4-4-2 obsolete in the Premier League for a while, because as Mourinho pointed out:

"Look, if I have a triangle in midfield – Claude Makelele behind and two others just in front – I will always have an advantage against a pure 4-4-2 where the central midfielders are side by side. That’s because I will always have an extra man. It starts with Makelele, who is between the lines. If nobody comes to him he can see the whole pitch and has time. If he gets closed down it means one of the two other central midfielders is open. If they are closed down and the other team’s wingers come inside to help, it means there is space now for us on the flank, either for our own wingers or for our full-backs. There is nothing a pure 4-4-2 can do to stop things".

Teams had no option but to adapt, as Mourinho made a complete cock out of everyone else, during his early Chelsea years.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, scratchdj said:

I support Liverpool, but yeah, I think Harry Kane is the most "old school" striker in the premiership. It's just that 10 years ago, he'd have had another good striker playing alongside him and I miss that a bit.

Completely agree, It's one of the aspects of the modern game that I'm not a fan of. The link up play between the likes of Sheaer & Sutton or Sheringham & Kilnsmann was brilliant watch. I think it's one of the reasons that I enjoyed Leicester's title win so much(despite a strong dislike for them because of the underhand way they have overspent and cleared debt in the past), because they went back to the 442 with some proper strike partnerships... 

Archived