The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

12 minutes ago, herbie747 said:

He holds none of those above Mayweather.

If Mayweather was in his physical prime and fighting regularly, you'd probably be right. But Mayweather is 40, past his physical prime, and as much training as he might put in before the fight, he'll still have been out of action for two years. Floyd Mayweather fighting under those conditions is an unknown quantity, and until we've seen what Mayweather actually looks like when he is fighting under those conditions, we don't know what advantages he may or may not hold over McGregor, physically speaking.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

There's always that chance. Although you can't beat Father Time, Mayweather is known for taking good care of himself. I don't think he's someone who abuses alcohol or drugs (just women) and he's not exactly been in a bunch of wars from his fights that we've seen. You can probably count on one hand the amount of really tough fights he's had. Gym wars might be another matter but he's not your typical 40 year old boxer who's had a long career of wars. He's looked after himself. 

Now eventually, age is going to catch up to him and slow him down. That's just natural. But it hasn't yet and, other than wishful thinking on my part, I don't see why it necessarily would now. 

He took a similar amount of time off after he beat Ricky Hatton in 2007. He never fought again until 2009 when he came back and just schooled Juan Manuel Marquez. Granted, that was years ago and he wasn't 40 then but it shows that ring rust maybe doesn't effect him as badly as some fighters. And he wasn't fighting an 0-0 boxer back then either. Marquez was smaller and it was seen as a bit of a mismatch but Marquez was still a much more skilled, technical, crafty and trickier boxer to go against than McGregor should be. Floyd trounced him. 

While he's been out 2 years, he's not the type to sit around on his arse watching telly or letting himself get out of shape. 

If McGregor ever had any chance of catching him, I guess this is the best chance he's going to get given Floyd's age and time away. But it's still a massive, massive ask. 

On 22/07/2017 at 10:47 AM, d-d-d-dAz said:

Bunce absolutely is one of the ones who's been shitting all over it. Fucking carnie, taking that payday.

Has he? Any time I've heard him talk about it on his podcast he's been fairly positive about it, even if he is calling it what it is. A show.

He's even went as far as saying that Conor is his favourite fighter right now.

On 22/07/2017 at 11:04 PM, Noah Southworth said:

If Mayweather was in his physical prime and fighting regularly, you'd probably be right. But Mayweather is 40, past his physical prime, and as much training as he might put in before the fight, he'll still have been out of action for two years. Floyd Mayweather fighting under those conditions is an unknown quantity, and until we've seen what Mayweather actually looks like when he is fighting under those conditions, we don't know what advantages he may or may not hold over McGregor, physically speaking.

I think I'd agree with you if Mayweather was coming back at 40 years old with a two year lay off to face a top contender, but he isn't. If we're being realistic Mayweather could limit his camp to just cardio work and getting in shape, with zero boxing training and still win pretty handily.

On 7/24/2017 at 11:03 AM, David said:

Has he? Any time I've heard him talk about it on his podcast he's been fairly positive about it, even if he is calling it what it is. A show.

He's even went as far as saying that Conor is his favourite fighter right now.

Seriously? That's a massive change of tune if so. Bunce has hated MMA and trashed it at almost any point possible over the past few years. Interesting.

• Paid Members

its gonna be insane if it somehow happens.

has anyone else realised that there's a Golden Boy promoted Cotto/Kamegai PPV running on the same night as the fight in the States? wonder how many buys that does.

33 minutes ago, seanz25 said:

Seriously? That's a massive change of tune if so. Bunce has hated MMA and trashed it at almost any point possible over the past few years. Interesting.

Yeah, have a listen to the podcast of the 5 Live Boxing with Costello & Bunce if you get the chance, the episode dated July 17th.

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

its gonna be insane if it somehow happens.

has anyone else realised that there's a Golden Boy promoted Cotto/Kamegai PPV running on the same night as the fight in the States? wonder how many buys that does.

Surely that'll get moved or air on free TV prior to McGregor/Mayweather.

Cheers for the mention David. Gave it a listen. Bunce has massively changed his tune, at least on Conor anyway. Still seems to hint at the "us vs them" agenda when it comes to boxing and MMA but he's always gonna be like that. He's deluded though if he thinks the Eubank/Abrham PPV streaming numbers where astronomical compared to any previous PPV event ever :laugh:

31 minutes ago, seanz25 said:

Cheers for the mention David. Gave it a listen. Bunce has massively changed his tune, at least on Conor anyway. Still seems to hint at the "us vs them" agenda when it comes to boxing and MMA but he's always gonna be like that. He's deluded though if he thinks the Eubank/Abrham PPV streaming numbers where astronomical compared to any previous PPV event ever :laugh:

Yeah, he's still an old school boxing guy for sure, but it's refreshing to see someone at least be objective once they see how it's all playing out.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, thevestofdeanambrose said:

The self destruction of the boxing fans on Facebook if Conor won would be beautiful

That's my #1 reason for hoping it happens. It trumps all other benefits.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, seanz25 said:

Surely that'll get moved or air on free TV prior to McGregor/Mayweather.

my mistake, the show is actually free on HBO.

did he really say that about Eubank/Abraham?

6 minutes ago, herbie747 said:

That's my #1 reason for hoping it happens. It trumps all other benefits.

My #1 reason for hoping it happens is to see how Floyd reacts to losing as a pro for the very first time. I don't necessarily hate Floyd, even though he is a complete scumbag. I just want to see how a person like Floyd reacts to being beaten, especially at the hands of someone he undoubtedly believes is an easy route to history. My #2 reason isn't far behind, though, and it's to see the epic meltdown of, not just boxing fans, but the boxing establishment, many of whom have steadfastly refused to give MMA the respect it deserves, simply because they either don't understand it or because they feel threatened by its success.

7 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

my mistake, the show is actually free on HBO.

did he really say that about Eubank/Abraham?

I think he's only just cottoned on to the whole streaming malarkey, and still hasn't gotten a proper grasp of it. He was trying to make the point that ITV putting the fight on PPV was a bad idea, and that there was likely to be more people illegally streaming the show than actually paying for it.

I think.

Archived