Dan Severn vs Brock Lesnar (prime for prime) who you got?

JakeRobertsParoleOfficer

Hi guys

Watching Severns shoot with Hannibal he says he was past prime when he got into MMA and that forget Lesnar a real beast was Severn aged 25!

Obviously we don't have 25 yr old Severn to go with but let's say Lesnar of Couture fight vs 92-95 Severn

Who you got?

I'm Severn all the way!

• Paid Members

We pretty much saw this when Mark Coleman crushed Severn. I think Brock would've done similar. He's just too big, strong, agile and athletic for Severn for me. Even if you somehow could fuck with time and make then both be in their primes at the same time, Lesnar was just a different breed physically. I like Severn but he'd have probably got hurt in this one. He couldn't do much on top of Royce, for fuck's sake, and he had a good size advantage in that one. I can't see how he'd have ever coped with Brock.

Lesnar vs Coleman would've been more interesting IMO. Not so much in 2008 when it was actually going to happen though.

Let's be fair Gracie is/was one of the greatest fighters ever so I can give Severn that one.

It's a tough one though as some see Severn as being one of the all time greats and others think the most padded MMA record ever!

That said I think the following f Lesnar up bad

Prime Co cop

96/97 Coleman

And weirdly a 100% Pedro Rizzo

TBH I think Rizzo is one of the most underrated MMA fighters ever! His record over MMA stars is quite something.

You can't really tell, I think Brock could beat him in a NCAA match (freestyle) Severn learned on the job, Brock basically knew the blueprint set out by the great wrestlers before him, so would have an advantage but I don't know who would win if neither knew anything about fighting.

I defo think Severn is leagues above Lesnar from a NCAA perspective. Well at least according to reports etc as he was robbed of an Olympic spot was he not?

There is footage (or there was on YouTube) of him f****g up guys at amateur level post Olympic exclusion and he looked like a killer.

I do think Lesnar MMA career was more bonanza than substance as Mir caught him. The far smaller and far older Couture was doing well till caught and Overeem battered him as did Velasquez.

His only top level wins were over a 45+ worn and withered Couture, Mir in the rematch and Arguably Carwin.

I really don't think so Baz. Severn was a big, strong and weighty bloke who could also spoil like hell. Lesnar never really suplexed anyone all over the show in MMA. No way does he ragdoll Severn!

Of course the flip side is that Severn never met a physical specimen like Lesnar

It could end in an ungainly maul on the floor as Lesnar main vulnerability is to a striker and that side of the game for me was Severns weak point!

• Paid Members

Let's be fair Gracie is/was one of the greatest fighters ever so I can give Severn that one.

Royce was the man back then but Severn had so much weight on him that he probably should've been winning that one. He controlled the whole fight doing nothing on top, then seemed to just doze off and fall into a triangle. It was almost the original Silva vs Sonnen 1 finish.

Lesnar would fuck Severn up. Severn's way to win was always to wrestle and control guys on the ground. I can't envision him controlling Brock at all. And his strikes were so shit I doubt he'd have been ground and pounding Brock to a TKO. Whereas if Brock got on top I can't see any way he doesn't make hamburger out of Severn's face and punch that moustache off his face like he was Steve Mazzagatti. Like I said, Coleman proved that if you were the bigger stronger wrestler you could take Severn out. Coleman did what he wanted. And Brock's even bigger than Coleman, faster, more athletic etc and his ground and pound was pretty brutal. Severn would be outmatched in every area except facial hair.

• Paid Members

It's hard to call because Severn fought Gracie when BJJ was still very much a bit of a mystery. Severn entered MMA as a succesful wrestler but even though he fought 100+ times he relied on very basic wrestling skills with added submissions to fight his whole career. If Severn had entered MMA at 36 (like he was at UFC 4) the same time that Brock Lesnar entered MMA and they both started from scratch under todays training standards it's probably a flip of the coin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I would've thought a more intriguing match would've been a prime Lesnar vs. a prime Don Frye. Think Frye would batter Lesnar though.

Or, if you're going for the wrestling hook, prime Lesnar vs. prime Aleksander Karelin (although I'm aware Karelin never fought MMA, even if it was an MMA match, it'd probably be mostly irrelevant in a match between two wrestler).

I would've thought a more intriguing match would've been a prime Lesnar vs. a prime Don Frye. Think Frye would batter Lesnar though.

Coleman grapplefucked Frye on two occasions. Once in the UFC, and once in Pride I could easily see Brock doing the same thing, unless Frye caught him early on, and made Brock dance. 

Archived