Who don't we talk about enough?

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Just a random thread for people you think don't get enough love. Whoever you like. Sure we'll all learn something from which ever random Memphis second match dude Butchi is into this week.

SST/Headshrinkers - What a cracking team. They were unlucky enough to come along at a time where the NWA was full of outstanding teams and then moved to the WWF in the middle of the nadir when finding a decent team to work with was a fucking chore. The gimmick being at least ten years out of date didn't help them either. Despite that, they had good matches with tons of teams and in the WWF particularly, brought the excitement on some really stale shows. They flew around like little dudes despite being the best part of 20 stone each and sold brilliantly. Could never understand why they didn't have a run with the belts when I was a kid considering the utter shite that held them between LOD and their eventual little run.

I actually like them more the older I get and the more I watch. They were fun squashing jobbers and equally selling their hearts out in big matches. I always liked them after that. Probably the only person in the world who liked Make a difference Fatu.

Repo Man - I loved this gimmick. Being an 11 older spanner, I didn't even know it was Smash. Everyone should throw themselves into a gimmick like Darsow. No matter what shite you're given. I liked the cheesy promos, the terrible innuendo and his cheap heel work.

Tully Blanchard - Been watching a bit of his stuff lately and he really was tremendous. As a kid, I only knew him from the Brain Busters and then I learnt about the Horsemen and the Dusty feud as I got older. He was a tremendous hand and a cracking promo. Great look, great body. He had the lot. I think on the recent "against the grain" show on SCG Radio someone suggested he was better than Flair. I found myself nodding along. I think he was a better, more creative worker and as good a talker. I think Flair's gimmick was the difference, it was a star gimmick and Flair always carried it off like he was the star and people bought it. For pure talent though, I think I'd go Tully.

Goldberg - Funny one this, I know, but topical given he's all over their WWE 2017 adverts. I might be on my own but I really feel he doesn't get anywhere near the credit he deserves. It used to be that smart arses claimed he couldn't work or he only had three moves or whatever but I think with the way wrestling has gone, even the dumbest of people can see that he brought an intensity, a credibility and star-power that made his work and his matches more must see than any technical or flippy stuff. However the more WWE re-write history, the more I feel like his star is diminished. Obviously WCW was just this flash in the pan that bought success for a bit before Vince put them in their place and Goldberg was a bit part of that. The fact that he was as big as Austin and drew similar numbers seems to be lost on most people. Austin wasn't a megastar for much longer either and neither was The Rock really. To be fair to WWE, it's not all them. WCW didn't have any fucking clue what sort of a star they had in Goldberg either hence him playing second fiddle to cunts for a lot of his time. Despite him being the attraction, he was never the focus. Anyone that stupid deserves to be a footnote in history.

*That wasn't a dig at Butchi btw, I love his "acquired" taste.

• Paid Members

Can't believe you mentioned Headshrinkers. I maintain they are probably my fav team ever. I loved everything about them, hard hitting agile lads who rocked the racial stereotype card perfectly.

Only as heels mind you, I struggled abut with the face version.

I also mentioned this chap in the against the grain thread and I'm going to copy it word for word:

Skinner

I've forgotten which video it was on, possibly a rampage vhs, but it was my first time seeing the tobacco spitting, knife wielding, alligator boot wearing son of a gun. I thought he looked absolutely boss. On top of that, he was a scary looking bastard who really seemed like he could snap at any point.

We all remember him as fodder for the upper mid card for Bret and... Errr.. the others, but looking back, they had a brute of a heel ready and waiting with him.

His vignettes in the swamp... they were awesome. His actual wrestling ability was really good if you consider others around his level on the card at the time (warlord, bezerker, nailz, Demento and co) were utter shit. He was the only character to share the same mold as the ultimate warrior #3 Hasbro figure.... yes, that's right.

I feel old Stevie Boy was unlucky as I believe his character was before its time. Yes he's a simple swamp man, but he had the devil in his eyes man. With a minor tweak he wouldn't be out of place in the Wyatt's.

Anyway fuck it, bring him back, put a bra on him and call him Abigail.

As a kid, I was pretty scared of him, as an adult I look back and think... unlucky Steve, unlucky. Such a shame they turned him in to the shit doink.

Good idea for a thread, until it inevitably descends into us all rowing because 'X' gets spoke about all the time. I could talk for four hours on how fucking ace Shawn Michaels was in the 90s, because there's been more than a bit too much bashing of that for my liking round these parts lately. But bashing still counts as discussion, so I'll leave well alone I s'pose. You're dead wrong if you think it though. Anyhow, for my contributions:-

The Twin Towers - I got into wrestling right around the time these two were splitting, but I still loved their big bastards match at WM6 even though it was basically a squash. Their brilliance captured forever on the cover of, and tape itself, of Survivor Series 88, as a couple of fatties who could both move about when needed, I totally bought them as a threat. They even colour matched in a roundabout sort of way with all the blue too. Chuck in Slick's entrance music to get them down the aisle and I'd say they were probably one of my favourite teams to re-watch as a kid. I remember watching WM5 for the first time during the period I was gobbling up every show I could find at about 8/9, expecting to see The Rockers get flattened, and when they did I felt it was totally believable. They were great for bringing the drama in their matches with Hogan/The Megapowers, and they had a match on Fan Favourites (I think) vs the Harts that I really, really loved. And they were always a team in my figures promotion too. The Bossman got the odd run with the belt, but they were generally a reliable duo for the imaginary crowd to hate if I wanted some big thugs to rough up a top guy.

The Opener to Survivor Series 1995 - I'm not fucking about when I say this, I think it might be my favourite opener in PPV history. It's got so much going for it. It's shitting quality wrestlers for starters, with virtually everybody involved having something decent to bring to the table. My eyes just about popped out the first time I saw Skip use the Blonde Bombshell, Hakushi was an unreal talent, and as well as being completely re-invigorated as a wrestler when I watch it now, I also get a lot of enjoyment watching how much of a prick the Kid is, and how white hot that turn was to the crowd, because they loved both him and Razor and believed the friendship. (With good cause, obviously). I suppose what this match is reflective of is how actually fine the WWF in 1995 was when watched in a vaccum, but I must have discussed that in a hundred threads in here. Memories, or 'memories' from thart era are far too clouded with years of Powerslam, Meltzer, DVDs showing clips of Man Mountain Rock in his pyjamas basically trivialising it all as a cartoonish mess. Standing alone as a load of wrestling matches, I bet tons from then holds up better than say...2009 in 21 years time.

IRS. What a f*cking top heel/worker he was. Great gimmick (How can anybody ever like a Taxman?), a solid heel move set (not one flashy move), perfect tag team partner in The Million Dollar Man, wrestled Hogan at mania (does it get any bigger realistically?) and what a legacy we have today in his sons.

This man doesn't not get anywhere near the attention he deserves

Monty Brown seems to have been almost forgotten. He was phenomenal. Loved him in TNA. Really energetic for a big guy. Went to WWE as Marcus Cor Von. Certainly could've had a decent midcard run had he not retired to be with his family. Which is understandable.

• Paid Members

they had a match on Fan Favourites (I think) vs the Harts that I really, really loved. And they were always a team in my figures promotion too.

The first thing I thought when I saw their name was how much I loved those Hasbros. I fucking adore the Boss Man, particularly the big fat heel version but enjoyed them as a team. I "discovered" that match with the Harts making a Boss Man compilation a few years ago and it's really good.

IRS. What a f*cking top heel/worker he was. Great gimmick (How can anybody ever like a Taxman?), a solid heel move set (not one flashy move), perfect tag team partner in The Million Dollar Man, wrestled Hogan at mania (does it get any bigger realistically?) and what a legacy we have today in his sons.

Genuinely might be my least favourite wrestler of all time. Still, I've definitely banged on about that more than enough!

• Moderators

This man doesn't not get anywhere near the attention he deserves

Mike Rotunda is quite literally one of my very least favourite wrestlers ever. So, so, so dull. I suppose he was ok in the US Express and Varsity Club the first time around but even in those instances he was the lesser part of anything good he was involved in. Then there was shitty Captain Mike, shitty Michael Wallstreet (Terry Taylor's York Foundation was far better), shitty IRS, shitty VK Wallstreet, shitty M. Wallstreet, then a shitty rehash of the Varsity Club.

The man was responsible for a whole lot of shitty.

watched 2002 ROH not long ago, and Michael Shane was one of the stronger heels they had, just great at being a dick and was having some nifty matches with the likes of London and Kendrick. in TNA he seemed overshadowed by the likes of AJ, Daniels, Sabin, Shelley Williams etc., perhaps overlooked/underutilized. Then he seemed to fade away, no idea what he's up to now.

Second the Monty Brown pick too, I've mentioned him a few times on here in the past. He was knocking it out the park in TNA before they aligned him with the fucking Kings of Wrestling. THA POUUUUUUNCE. PERIOD.

Good thread.

As mentioned earlier Skinner is a good shout. I loved his vignettes and his match with Bret Hart for the IC title at Tuesday In Texas was a solid match, felt the WWE could have used him more and his burial at Wrestlemania VIII was unnecessary.

Another for me, The Natural Disasters. I maybe in the minority but I loved that tag team, I remember watching Tugboat's turn at the time against the Bushwackers and being shocked, in fact it was probably the first heel turn I ever saw (I started watching wrestling around May 1991) I enjoyed their match at Summerslam 91 (some could call it a guilty pleasure) I would have loved to seen more matches against the likes of The Rockers and LOD. Sadly, with the face turn I lost interest in them and even at the time I could not take those two as babyfaces seriously.

I also get a kick out Scott Steiner's WCW title run, at the time it was probably the only thing worth watching Nitro for...... Well, unless you was watching the programme on the German Channel DSF, in which case the best part was the adverts!

• Paid Members

And further to that, I can't bare Bray Wyatt and have stopped pretending to give a shit about Bo Dallas too. Probably time to stick them both in shirts and ties like Dad and do a total reboot.

I think I'll probably be the last Wyatt fan standing. I still think he's got everything. His work is good, his signature spots are way over, his mannerisms are good and his promo delivery is phenomenal. Between him and the writing team though, they've just no idea what the fuck to do with all that.

I say it every week in the TV show threads but people want to cheer him. They want him to focus on the gold and to direct his energy and his creepy promos into it. If he's a heel they just need to create a clear purpose. Whether it's to win gold, take out people he's jealous of or take over the show while amassing an army 9f lost souls - Flock style. It really shouldn't be hard.

• Paid Members

Skinner

He was the only character to share the same mold as the ultimate warrior #3 Hasbro figure.... yes, that's right.

No it's not. Skinner's figure had its own mold. Shirt and trousers on, the lot.

Mold was the wrong word, I meant action and even then i'm wrong because i forgot about Gonzales. Thats how good he was, his own mold, & he made me lie.

Archived