Podcast/Interview Thread (MMA/Boxing etc) 🎧

Egg Shen

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

the full podcast is available on audio but Brad Pickett's One Punch podcast is now with BT Sports, the youtube channel post clips from the show, decent little watches if you got 10 minutes. Here's Brad chiming in on the Conor/Khabib thing:

• 2 weeks later...

"Sakibara fuck you"

GwYzQSs.gif

He's right about the rematch with Coleman at Pride 26 being a dud.

It didn't help that the American broadcast of the event did such a stellar job of hyping the fight. They billed it as the feature attraction, even though Fedor vs Fujita and Cro Cop vs Herring took top billing in Japan

The American broadcast emphasized the bad blood that existed from their first fight, and how this was Frye's chance for redemption. They told a great story and really made you want Frye to win. So it was a damp squib when Coleman dominated for 15 minutes in unspectacular fashion. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Yeah that was a really boring fight. I already knew the result by the time I watched it, which didn’t help, but it was a letdown after the buildup. 

I rewatched Frye vs Ken Shamrock a few months ago and that was better but still not as good as I’d remembered. My main memory was of them both throwing and Frye dropping him in the exchange, and Frye surviving the leg lock. The rest of it was mostly them just stood clinched up in the corner occasionally hitting each other in the ribs. Didn’t really hold up to my memory of it. The buildup to that was class though. 

His fight with Tank Abbott at Ultimate Ultimate 96 is a favourite of mine though. Short, violent and chaotic. Then there was the first Gary Goodridge fight, the quick KO of Thomas Ramirez, the vicious beatdowns of Mark Hall (first fight) and Amaury Bitetti, those mad fights with Gilbert Yvel in Pride and Akebono in K-1 HERO’S. And it goes without saying the Takayama fight should be on everyone’s list of all time classics. Maniacs. 

E9F54B91-87C4-4A0E-AA5F-5A961DA248A5.gif

• Paid Members

Yeh the little sequence of Frye dropping Ken with the punch combo saved the fight. I had the DVD with Shamrock/Frye on and there were countdown style special features on them, came off like a huge deal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:57 PM, Egg Shen said:

the full podcast is available on audio but Brad Pickett's One Punch podcast is now with BT Sports, the youtube channel post clips from the show, decent little watches if you got 10 minutes. Here's Brad chiming in on the Conor/Khabib thing:

Really enjoying this podcast. Mike Perry was their guest this week & his interview made me do a bit of a 180 on him, always thought he was a bit of a prick but he came across as very self aware & quite likeable. Hope this podcast continues as they've snagged some good guests via the BT Sports endorsement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...