Podcast/Interview Thread (MMA/Boxing etc) 🎧

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I'm glad he mentioned staying off the fence. When was the last time we saw Khabib fight going backwards? His game plan is usually to pressure you against the fence then he goes to work. Khabib is nowhere near as effective getting a takedown when he has to shoot for one in the middle of the octagon.

We've seen in the past that Gaethje is the type of nutter that will take a few shots or ten to land his one or two back. With Khabib I think gaining control of the octagon is as important as anything to stopping the takedown. "Feetwork" indeed.

The only round that Khabib has clearly lost since 2012 was against McGregor. In that round, he defended well against McGregor's strikes, but spent much of the round on the backfoot. 

If Khabib is going to lose anytime soon it will probably be against a fighter who is able to stay positioned in the middle of the octagon and have him moving backwards. Gaethje is perhaps the only lightweight with the skills to implement that gameplan against Khabib. 

At the moment, I think it is a 50/50 fight. Khabib is the better fighter overall, but styles make fights, and Justin is all wrong for him. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

@Egg Shen just an idea, but now we seem to be moving the Boxing chat over here, I’m guessing Boxing podcasts are good in here now? Maybe a change of thread title is due?

I’m posting this because I just stumbled across this on Twitter. ‘The Darker Side Of Boxing’. Seems it’s going to be an ongoing series looking at the more tragic and dodgy stories behind the gloves. Only listened to a bit of the Arturo Gatti one so far but thought it might be worth whacking in here.

https://share.transistor.fm/s/82e3d71a

The links to the podcast on Apple, Spotify and Google are in there.

• Paid Members

They've stopped it now, it was only like a 6 episode thing. They did 1 bonus won to talk about Fight Camp about 2 weeks ago.

My boxing listening dropped off over lockdown because i couldnt handle the fantasy fight debates and the Mike Tyson comeback shite, but im slowly starting to get back into it. 

• Moderators

My podcast listening has fallen off a cliff since lockdown, really because I'm only commuting to the living room for work now. The only podcast I regularly listen to still is The Matburn Podcast with Keenan Cornelius and Josh Hinger - its pretty infrequent but they are pretty funny and have good insight into the world of BJJ. Of course, with the BJJ world being full of babies this turns into a bunch of drama.