Podcast/Interview Thread (MMA/Boxing etc) 🎧

Egg Shen

Well, I jumped in and got myself a subscription to The Athletic, mainly for the boxing and MMA coverage.

It's pretty good. There's two podcasts that throw out new episodes weekly, one featuring Josh Gross and the other Chuck Mindenhall and Shaheen Al-Shatti, as well as plenty of long-form in-depth articles.

I'm sold on it. Most of the other MMA sites are just junk now.

I've been tempted by The Athletic mainly for Ben Fowlkes and Chad Dundas. I've been listening to their CME podcast for years now and miss their writing on other sites.

I've relied on MMAJunkie and MMAFighting for my MMA news for probably 10+ years at this point but neither site is worth visiting anymore unless you want to read articles that basically boil down to "Conor McGregor has done a tweet"

Yeah, if anyone is thinking of checking it out I'd advise trying the free trial and seeing how you get on. 

One thing I would say is that I signed up for the US site. There's a UK version that's focused mainly on football, but I'm not sure what difference it makes. I know I'm paying $9.99, and I think the UK version is £9.99.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

I've relied on MMAJunkie and MMAFighting for my MMA news for probably 10+ years at this point but neither site is worth visiting anymore unless you want to read articles that basically boil down to "Conor McGregor has done a tweet"

i used to be the same but MMA news just gathers together on social media these days so i very rarely hit the websites anymore.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

i used to be the same but MMA news just gathers together on social media these days so i very rarely hit the websites anymore.

Totally true. If you use twitter regularly you would be as well just following Helwani, Okamoto etc. That's pretty much how I find out about every fight of note being made.

I've found myself really enjoying Luke Thomas on Youtube recently.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Speaking of Thomas. He has a new show under Schaub's Below the Belt banner (may have mentioned this previously). Its basically Thomas and Brian Campbell chatting about the events of the week. Campbell is probably my favorite combat sports journalist, very knowledgable but has fun with it all and is very entertaining to listen, him and Thomas have great chemistry.

That along with the MMA Reporters are my 2 must listens these days.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Bisping’s podcast ‘Believe You Me’ is always worth a listen. Even though I find his co-host Luis J Gomez annoying, my love for all things Bisping overrides that. 

Here’s the latest episode (I think); 

Skip to around 1:15:00 for Bisping talking about his brother Conrad and why he considers him the toughest man he’s ever met. Mad story and a sad one at the same time. 

I’ve had Bisping’s book for weeks now and haven’t got around to starting it. 

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

anyone catch TJ Dillashaw on Helwani last week? Its his first proper interview in awhile and he opens up about the EPO thing. I dont fully buy what hes saying, and the Mayweather callout at the end is laughable given the situation hes in.

https://youtu.be/XuxuLD9AP6U

(videos wont embed for some reason)

• Moderators

Was just listening to that this morning. I really struggle to believe his story about being anemic given that in previous stories we've heard about how much testing and shit Sam Calavitta was doing with him. So its either that Calavitta knew and said "get on this" or the anemic thing is BS.

• Paid Members

i dont buy for one second that Calavitta didnt know what was happening, id be surprised even if he wasnt the one helping Dillashaw do the EPO. Dillashaw spoke about Calavitta like a mad scientist on the Rogan podcast. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

anyone catch Max Holloway on Rogan this week? good listen. Sometimes Rogan's deep dives into nutrition and techniques can grate, so to have Holloway just be so blase about the whole thing was refreshing. If you didnt know better, you'd never realise that Rogan was speaking to one of the greatest MMA fighters of all time.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I didn’t know Holloway was going on Rogan’s podcast. Cheers for that. Love Max. Not only one of the best fighters in the game but easily one of the nicest. Plus he never misses weight, never any PED controversy, never punched old men (well...apart from Frankie Edgar that time) or smashed someone’s phone up or any of that. But he’s got a certain charisma, I think, without having to resort to being a dick. He’s one of the few guys in MMA who I think everyone likes. 

Are the UFC ever going to Hawaii? It’s been talked about for bloody years and years now. From back when BJ Penn was in his prime. It’d be cool to see Max headline a card there at some point.