UFC bans Helwani

jimufctna24

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

If you missed that segment on TSN, Helwani basically came out with what we already knew, but detailed a little more about what happened. 

Interestingly he seems to point the finger at Lorenzo Fertitta more than Dana. He said that Dana has told him numerous times in the past that Lorenzo isn't a fan of his, and got the impression when White was telling Helwani he was banned that he was he doing it begrudgingly and it wasn't his decision. 

I feel like I should be more on Helwani's side then I actually am. I'm very much in the middle.

I think, as a journalist Helwani has every right, and a duty to his employer and arguably his readers too, to report any verified news that comes his way, even if it scoops the news from beneath the UFC's nose and spoils their surprise.

That said, I don't think he has any right necessarily to be granted privileges, or free access to UFC events. It's Lorenzo's show, at the end of the day and he has a right to run it any way he wants. If he wants to keep secrets then he should get better at it, certainly, but I think he's perfectly within his right to put a block on Helwani's press pass if he wants, providing he can handle the negative press that'll come his way.

I think both men are doing their job the way they think is best.

I'm not saying Lorenzo's not a tit, but its his business and he can be as big a tit as he wants to be.

• Paid Members

The UFC are absolutely within their right to block access for whoever they want. It's totally to their detriment to block Ariel though. Between his fight-week interviews and pre and post-fight specials on MMA Fighting he arguably does a better job at building their shows than all other reporters combined. He probably does a better job than the UFC themselves, for that matter.

• Paid Members

That's exactly it, Supremo. Of course the UFC can do it if they want (they've shown with Reebok and what not, they don't give a hoot), but it's such a silly overreaction for a man that works hard to make the sport better. As fans we're all much worse off without Helwani getting the access he had before the Bisping fight.

It's is Lorenzo right to block anyone from having a press pass but if you wanted to treated and viewed like other major sports leagues and Dana Lorenzo and others have said that for years  then the UFC should not be doing this to any journalist, you can't have it both ways.

• Paid Members

Just finished watching it. If anyone hasn't. Get to it. I usual listen to the MMA Hour whilst working. Today s the first time I've actually watched it live. He's brutally honest about how this has affected him. Shocking treatment by the UFC of someone for being good at their job.

Yeah, sucks to see him so sad as you can tell how much MMA means to him - which is reflected in the standard of work he produces.

Pure spite and pathetic behaviour by Dana/Lorenzo/Sholler for, rather ironically, someone doing their job effectively. Not realising or giving a shit that this could affect his job at MMA Fighting and his ability to provide for his family - all because of a news story that, if anything, got more people watching UFC 199 in anticipation. As people have said, he often promotes their events better than themselves. Especially shit for his colleagues.

Every post on social media by UFC trying to hype UFC 200 (plus Dana and Lorenzo's Twitter) is getting hijacked with #FreeHelwani.

• Paid Members

For the past few weeks I've been bummed out over the idea that Dana and Lorenzo were going to sell the UFC, and it was going to be ran by people who don't have the same eye and taste for sports entertainment as they and I do.

I was super worried that people would take over and run it more as a sport, taking away the fun and fan-orientated booking that has made me a fan for all these years.

But after seeing that? Seeing how upset Ariel was for simply being great at his job? Fuck Dana. Fuck Lorenzo. Fuck all of them. The quicker they sell, the better.

Shame on you, UFC.

• Paid Members

I'm probably the biggest a UFC apologist on here. Maybe the biggest UFC apologist online in general. I'm forever defending Dana and the UFC. There's no defending this. Ariel Helwani, despite not even being employed by them, has done more for their company than a large portion of their roster and office staff. Absolutely deplorable.

• Paid Members

As expected, Helwani handled it with class and was measured with what he said and didn't say. All the talk of "your career is over" is proper nasty business.

Wonderfully, US sport reporting heavyweights like Dan Patrick and Rich Eisen have had him on their radio shows to discuss nothing but his ban. Eisen was particularly nice to Helwani and even suggested doing another sport, which Helwani says he fancies. Gave me the fear that, such a shame if Helwani decides he fancies covering the NBA or something.

Archived