UFC bans Helwani

jimufctna24

Josh Gross and Greg Savage have re-tweeted one of Helwani's tweets in support. Gross also said that the UFC "shit the bed" with this.

Cool, thanks for that! I remember the Sonnen interview on Kenny Rice, but had no idea there was more after that involved Ariel.

No problem. After all that, it was Rice who turned into the biggest UFC's shill.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josh Gross and Greg Savage have re-tweeted one of Helwani's tweets in support. Gross also said that the UFC "shit the bed" with this.

Cool, thanks for that! I remember the Sonnen interview on Kenny Rice, but had no idea there was more after that involved Ariel.

No problem. After all that, it was Rice who turned into the biggest UFC's shill.

Wow!

It's refreshing to see someone speak out like that against Dana and the UFC.

• Paid Members

It's a tricky situation and you can see why White was livid. If it is indeed Brock ringing Dana going ape shit it would have put Dana in a right mood. 

However, as mentioned, he should be livid with the people who work for him who can't keep a secret, not a journalist doing their job. If there were signed non disclosure agreements then fair enough, but for White to attempt to restrict free speech is a very dangerous game to be playing. The amount of coverage this story has picked up is astronomical. 

The thing is, Helwani will be just fine without the UFC (if the ban stands), he will still report MMA, and continue with his show. It's the UFC who will lose all the amazing coverage he brings to the table.

Jeremy Botter, a journalist (Bleacher report etc) goes ape shit with the UFC during Submission radio's latest podcast. He really goes into depth about his past relationship with Dana White. The video should start at the point he talks about Helwani and White. It's very scathing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXVE31SZDUs&feature=youtu.be&t=38m3s

• Paid Members

To quote a great man that has felt the petty wrath of White in the past, "I'm not surprised, motherfuckers".

This is as typical a move as I'd expect from Dana and co. He just can't help himself when he feels he's lost a bit of control over something; the toys get thrown everywhere. Of course, usually the punishment/reaction is never measured, well thought out or fair, but usually always nasty. It's a shame he's a cunt, but I suppose the UFC may not be what it is today if he was a sweetheart.

As others have said, making enemies with someone like Helwani is ludicrous, because he does such an amazing job enhancing the fights and creating great content that surely convinces people to buy their shit. No better example than the recent Bisping interview on the MMA Hour, where he knew all the right questions to ask, or even that walk in the park with Jones, which did a tremendous job rebuilding his image. In a business where exposing personalities is key in making fans care enough to pay money, nobody does a better job than Helwani.

Very much looking forward to the MMA Hour, this evening. Although, unlike Dana and co, Helwani is far too measured and fair to fully burn a bridge, even if Dana deserves a proper roasting from Helwani, considering the constant shoddy treatment he's received through the years for just being good as his job.

• Paid Members

Of all the fighters in the world I would honestly think that Brock would be top of the list of not giving a shit about stuff like that. This is a guy who is 100% about who will give him the pay day he wants and nothing more (That's not a knock on him at all. hes probably one of the smartest people in wrestling and MMA) Can anyone really see Brock being annoyed about how he is announced? 

• Paid Members

Of all the fighters in the world I would honestly think that Brock would be top of the list of not giving a shit about stuff like that. This is a guy who is 100% about who will give him the pay day he wants and nothing more (That's not a knock on him at all. hes probably one of the smartest people in wrestling and MMA) Can anyone really see Brock being annoyed about how he is announced? 

In all honesty, I can actually see him being pissed off. This is a guy coming from the pro wrestling world remember. He's also someone very particular when it comes to his image and how he's portrayed. 

This is a guy who knows exactly what he's doing when it comes to media and I think by the fact he often goes onto shows like Sportscenter etc to often break his news tells me he likes things being done in a particular way.

There's no doubt that promo would have been a huge WTF moment if the news hadn't broken earlier and I wouldn't actually put it past Brock to be pissed off at all. 

Could/should Helwani have held off until the promo had aired? He could have had something prepared to go. And put it up right after the announcement.

Why should he do that though? He's not a UFC employee, his main concern is drawing eyes and clicks to the site of the company who pay him.

• Paid Members

Could/should Helwani have held off until the promo had aired? He could have had something prepared to go. And put it up right after the announcement.

Why should he do that though? He's not a UFC employee, his main concern is drawing eyes and clicks to the site of the company who pay him.

Was he told in confidence by Dana or with Dana's permission? That's the only reason I can think of for the over-reaction. Well, reasonable reason anyway, otherwise it just appears they are being cunts.

Archived