UFC bans Helwani

jimufctna24

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dana's clearly not letting this shit go;

UFC chief Dana White has hit out at MMA journalist Ariel Helwani, accusing the reporter of holding a “pity party” and pulling a “weasel move.” 

Helwani broke the news that Brock Lesnar was set to return to the sport at UFC 200 on the day of UFC 199, where a promotional video was aired revealing what was supposed to be a surprise inclusion. During the event, the journalist was asked to leave and told he was banned from covering the promotion for life, sparking criticism of the company.

Speaking about the incident on the UFC Unfiltered podcast with Matt Serra and Jim Norton (warning: contains NSFW language), White was scathing of the way Helwani conducted himself afterward. He stated that the journalist “threw a big pity party for himself” and “almost blew up a huge relationship” with the WWE, who allowed Lesnar to compete despite being under contract.

White also stated that he was unable to hand Dominick Cruz his title belt on the night of UFC 199 because of Helwani’s “weasel move.”

Helwani, who works for MMA Fighting as well as hosting The MMA Beatand The MMA Hour, opened up about the incident on the latter show and became emotional when discussing his ban:

Although White had previously told TMZ that Helwani’s ban would be upheld for “as long as I’m here,” he has since been reinstated along with his colleagues, who were also asked to leave the premises at UFC 199.

“Ariel Helwani knows I've done a lot of s--t for Ariel Helwani,” added White when speaking on the podcast. “The way that he did it had a lot of people pointing fingers at each other.”

“Nobody else does that,” he said of the decision to break the news. “When you're a real journalist, you reach out and say 'Hey, this is the rumour, this is going on and everything else, and I'm going to run with it’.”

There are plenty in sport media spheres who came out in support of Helwani in the immediate aftermath of the event, including Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix.

Looking to the future, White stated that the whole affair will change the manner in which the UFC guards information. “You better f--king believe it, brother,” he said when asked about the matter. “You better believe it.”

• Paid Members

Aye, I gave the UFC Unfiltered a go because I used to really like the Opie & Anthony show and Matt Serra is good value (it's decent enough). The two points of interest were the fighters pay (White said Cerrone got paid 200k for his fight and that Calderwood was getting a bonus plus a new deal) and his words on Helwani.

No surprise White still hates Helwani and if it wasn't for his masterful "pity party" he'd probably still not have his credentials. White kept saying Helwani leaking the news nearly ruined a major relationship "15 years in the making". Any idea who or what that is? I immediately thought WWE.

EDIT: Having read the article above fully. Aye, they seem to think it's WWE too. Wonder why WWE were so bothered about it getting leaked? Contract maybe?

• Paid Members

What an absolute load of shite that is from White. Does he really expect every single journalist to ask them whether or not a rumour is true? That's the whole point of sources.

As Helwani already stated, he's actually done that on several occasions in the past, told to sit on the story, and for some other journalist to break the news anyway. It's crazy for White to think they should be given a call prior to every story that is published. 

Again, if he's angry with someone, it should be the people who leaked the story to begin with. They were the ones who nearly jeopardised the relationship between them and the WWE. Frankly, why the fuck should any journalist be bothered about a sports organisation's relationship with an entertainment company anyway?

Although, I have to admit that Helwani has that "sneaky cunt" quality about him, a bit like Louis Theroux. He looks genuine but you get the feeling there's more to him than his innocent "I'm just a reporter" schtick.

Does anyone remember his facial expression when he was asking Dana questions during the presser that McGregor never showed up to? He was consistently pushing the issue on the fight still being on the card despite White having said numerous times that it wasn't, and he had this smug grin on his face the whole time.

Fuck it, Dana should knock him the fuck out. Fuck Helwani, the pencil-necked geek that he is.

Dana also said it in that podcast that Fedor would have had to been killed for them to stop thT fight in Russia, he did complement Fedor on how tough he was and how he managed to turn things around a bit.

He said it did big numbers on Fight Pass. So interest is still there at least among fans, I see them offering him at least one fight maybe a rematch with Big Foot who has looked awful for a good while.

• Paid Members

Even if Dana's right about Helwani (which he's not), he's such a wanker himself that, quite frankly, I'm glad whenever anyone lower down the pecking order gets one over on him.

Fuck Dana White and his Tesco menswear.

Archived