UFC bans Helwani

jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Man if they stay true to that. Helwani will get the biggest pop at the UFC 200 media events.

"However, in our opinion, we believe the recurring tactics used by its lead reporter extended beyond the purpose of journalism."

What do they mean by that? Don't be so good at your job?

ESPN Sports Centre just interviewed Helwani. In the interview Ariel confirmed that the ban has been lifted. He also said that the UFC reached out to SB Nation and instigated the discussion of lifting the ban. The Nose looked visibly happier during this interview.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm glad they lifted the ban, they really didn't have much choice after his performance on the MMA Hour and the coverage this was getting, but I still think this has given them a huge black eye. They've came across terribly. That snide line in the statement also proves that they're still dickheads, just dickheads who had to cave in because it went so public.

• Paid Members

Bravo Helwani. His mini press tour, which was getting all sort of coverage by folk that aren't known for covering a lot of MMA, did a lot to expose the UFC.

It just shows the power Helwani now has, because they've done this before apparently and it's never blown up in their face like this before. Almost every article and interview I read on the subject by respected journalists and what not all seemed to be calling UFC small time and a dictatorship. Awful bit of PR, but at least they realised we should be talking about 200 and not their petty bollocks.

It ain't over though. They'll probably try and low-key fuck Helwani in the future.

• Paid Members

It ain't over though. They'll probably try and low-key fuck Helwani in the future.

Sadly, I think you're right. Revenge is a dish best served cold & everyone knows that Dana & Co hold grudges. Let the press storm fly over, people will quickly forget & they can do it on the quiet.

It's instances like this that remind fans that despite their claims of wanting the UFC to be a top sporting company like the NFL, NBA et al really they just want to run it like an entertainment company. Sporting journalists break stories every day about contract negotiations, rumoured signings & such. It's part & parcel of the industry and accepted as such. When the UFC react like it's 'AintItCool.com' publishing leaked set pics of the new Batman or some shit it's straight up embarrassing.

• Paid Members

Glad he's back in the fold, he's obviously the best around, but hope this doesn't change how he does things, or give him a bit of an ego.

Have there been examples of the Pro Wrestling media sitting on stories about big surprises? I'm struggling to think of one off the top of my head, but I'm sure there has been.

• Paid Members

Whilst the UFC lifting the ban is the right thing to do, part of me wants Helwani to tell the UFC to go fuck themselves. I know for the sake of his job that he can't do that, but what they've done to him over these past few years has been a disgrace.

What he's done for the sport really is incredible. I know for a fact that I wouldn't be as heavily into MMA as I am today if it wasn't Helwani and for the UFC not to recognise his contribution is disgraceful.

Personally I thought the details he revealed yesterday made the situation beyond repair. The fact he's detailed things got physical should set off alarm bells to every journalist who covers the sport.

I just can't see how things can carry on as they were to be honest. For starters his sources will probably no longer reveal any news to him (or anyone else for that matter), and even if Helwani gets the news he will now be hesitant to release it until someone else has. 

That said, what made Helwani great wasn't his scoops anyway. It's his interviews that set him apart from everyone else.

I think the UFC might try and save face. Don't be surprised if Dana tweets a picture of himself and Helwani at the next UFC card. However, I expect that Helwani will get the cold shoulder from most UFC staffers from here on out. He will have made a lot of enemies yesterday by blowing the whistle, and it must have bruised a few fragile egos at Zuffa HQ when they were pressured into over-turning the ban.

• Paid Members

Phew, that was close.

Just as an aside, did anyone notice in the post presser for 199 that Dave Sholler claimed to know nothing about the Brock announcement until it happened, either?

Makes you think that they, for whatever reason, were totally sold on the idea of keeping it a secret. Explains a bit why they might've overreacted so badly

• Paid Members

Phew, that was close.

Just as an aside, did anyone notice in the post presser for 199 that Dave Sholler claimed to know nothing about the Brock announcement until it happened, either?

Makes you think that they, for whatever reason, were totally sold on the idea of keeping it a secret. Explains a bit why they might've overreacted so badly

That's more than likely a load of shite. 

The company made a promo to air during UFC 200. For someone as high up as Sholler to not know is unlikely. 

No doubt they wanted the news to be a surprise to everyone, but they need to do a better job keeping it secret from now on.

Anyway, so much for Dana's statement that Helwani won't be credentialed as long as he's president. Let's hope that means they've now sold the company.

• Paid Members

I thought that at first. Why would he lie though? It made him look unimportant and the company badly run for someone at his level to not know.

He came over a bit sheepish when he said it.

The Helwani interview cities several times instances where the UFC have lied about fight announcements. Given Stoller's position, Helwani will have touched base with him often, so it's probable that Sholler has a record of lying about this sort of thing. 

• Paid Members

Whilst the UFC lifting the ban is the right thing to do, part of me wants Helwani to tell the UFC to go fuck themselves. I know for the sake of his job that he can't do that, but what they've done to him over these past few years has been a disgrace.

What he's done for the sport really is incredible. I know for a fact that I wouldn't be as heavily into MMA as I am today if it wasn't Helwani and for the UFC not to recognise his contribution is disgraceful.

Personally I thought the details he revealed yesterday made the situation beyond repair. The fact he's detailed things got physical should set off alarm bells to every journalist who covers the sport.

I just can't see how things can carry on as they were to be honest. For starters his sources will probably no longer reveal any news to him (or anyone else for that matter), and even if Helwani gets the news he will now be hesitant to release it until someone else has. 

That said, what made Helwani great wasn't his scoops anyway. It's his interviews that set him apart from everyone else.

Nah, the way Helwani handled yesterday was masterful. He made sure to paint UFC in a terrible light and build sympathy without fully burning that bridge, while also going on a media tour featuring some reputable names in the sports industry backing him; names that don't cover MMA too much. Basically, he made it into a bigger story and in doing so completely turned his ban into a big black eye for the UFC. It was pretty majestic watching it unfold really, as the UFC have done similar things in the past and it never gets this amount of heat. It shows the UFC that, at least publicly anyway, they can't be messing with Helwani in such a way, as he has the rep and you can say power to counter punch.

As discussed earlier though, UFC will probably be ultra careful next time when they want to stop him doing his job. The interview thing is one aspect, because he's so good at it, but Helwani has much respect from a lot of fighters, so it's no guarantee they'll listen to UFC.

• Paid Members

It's UFC. How many times has Dana done stupid things that the figurehead of a company really shouldn't be doing. I honestly wouldnt be shocked if Helwani isn't getting any more than scrum and low level fighter interviews. I really can't see Dana and Lorenzo thinking 'well he got one over on us, lets make things right'

Although whoever it was that said there will be a smiley Dana / Ariel photo is bang on

I love that the UFC caved. Helwani completely owned them. They never even spoke to the media and despite dropping the ban, they've came out of this looking horrible. Total bush league stuff. You can't talk about wanting to be the NBA or NFL of the MMA world and act like that. I love that all of the respected sports journalists from said leagues jumped all over this and slammed them.

It's funny what happens when the sports media takes notice of what's going on in the MMA bubble. This lasted one day. They were not going to let it drag on anymore and I think they got nervous. Ariel pulled the curtain back on them an inch and they shat themselves - I can't imagine how many real skeletons they have in their closet and what other dirt he has on the UFC.

I love the UFC and have defended them so much, but this shows that they're still bush league when compared to the other big US sports.

• Paid Members

You've pretty much summoned up Bollocks why it is beyond repair though.

As you say, he made sure to paint the UFC in a terrible light. Do you think think they will simply be happy to let this slide? The fact that he actually admitted the company got physical with him really is huge. 

I agree completely the way he handled it has been fantastic as he's been able to keep his journalistic integrity in place, but I do think the whole thing is beyond repair. For example, you will never again see him interviewing Dana and the way Helwani can do his job really won't be the same.

Again though, as long as we get the things that make him brilliant at his job, then I don't care. 

Archived