Best promo/commentary zingers

Carbomb

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one is my all time favourite.
Please allow me to set the scene, 1PW is having financial problems & has had to change the venue of it's next show from The Doncaster Dome to the truly awful Granby working man's social club (the roof was leaking, wallpaper hanging off the walls & it's barely bigger than the actual ring!).

Sterling James Keenan (now Corey Graves) turned heel at the last Dome show, which ended with him telling the whole audience to "Go to Hell!". Keenan arrives in the UK thinking he is working the Dome as the 1PW management dare not tell him the details of the relocation, for fear he no-shows after already paying for his plane tickets.
Keenan starts the show off in his street clothes & addresses the fans with this opening gambit:

"Cast your minds back to the last show all you Limey Trumpet Suckers, I told you all to "Go to Hell", now i don't know what i find more shocking? The fact that you actually took my advice or the fact that i flew over here to join you!" :D

SJK always called us “Limey Crumpet Suckers”, based on that stereotype where many Americans think all English people have Tea & Crumpets every day.

I went to most of the shows at The Dome but never visited The Granby. Didn’t they bring Superfly Jimmy Snuka over one time for a match in the smaller venue?

7 minutes ago, dopper said:

SJK always called us “Limey Crumpet Suckers”, based on that stereotype where many Americans think all English people have Tea & Crumpets every day.

I went to most of the shows at The Dome but never visited The Granby. Didn’t they bring Superfly Jimmy Snuka over one time for a match in the smaller venue?

Sorry i thought it was Trumpet as a reference to oral sex? I think 1PW did a show in Barnsley with Snuka on? 

16 hours ago, TheKayfabeMonster said:

Keenan arrives in the UK thinking he is working the Dome as the 1PW management dare not tell him the details of the relocation, for fear he no-shows after already paying for his plane tickets.

This part isn't true.

I don't understand how it would have made a difference to SJK or Abyss at the time.

Surely their fee would have been arranged in advance rather than as a percentage of the gate?

So whether it was a full Doncaster Dome or an empty Granby their pay would have been the same, other than a few extra people buying their shirts and promo pics?

14 hours ago, TheKayfabeMonster said:

Was Abyss informed when he slummed it at The Granby? I seem to remember reading that it was an unexpected surprise as he arrived at that God forsaken place.

Don't rightly know - as Abyss was booked through TNA I had no involvement - that would be upto Gauntley to run it by Bob Ryder - whether he did or not I don't know - but wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't though, to be honest.

I only know SJK was because I personally told him.

8 hours ago, dopper said:

I don't understand how it would have made a difference to SJK or Abyss at the time.

Surely their fee would have been arranged in advance rather than as a percentage of the gate?

So whether it was a full Doncaster Dome or an empty Granby their pay would have been the same, other than a few extra people buying their shirts and promo pics?

I doubt it did make any difference from a financial point of view.

From a performance point of view, a busy Doncaster Dome must have been better for morale than a shithole with a leaky roof (it even leaked in the middle of summer) were you wiped your feet on the way out!

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:16 PM, TheKayfabeMonster said:

Sorry i thought it was Trumpet as a reference to oral sex? I think 1PW did a show in Barnsley with Snuka on? 

Yep, me and a mate walked through a fire door and he was there with his manager for the night. Friendly guy who came over and we had a surreal chat about Barnsley bitter.

That was the show where Williams and Carino (I think)  had a 1 hour time limit draw that went 50 min

4 hours ago, Sheffbag said:

That was the show where Williams and Carino (I think)  had a 1 hour time limit draw that went 50 min

It started at well after midnight on a show where a lot of fans had been in the building since early afternoon watching some football match on the TV.
I believe it was reported as 'the hottest day in years' or some shit too.

I remember that Jay Phoenix was stood next to the TV and cheering whenever England conceded a goal or lost control of the ball and that was also the show Ruffneck [I think] kicked off at him too.

Archived