WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

The new one, Alien Isolation.  It was score and sound effects.  I did the motion tracker   :)

Saw this referenced before. Very cool. I'm curious...

1) Did you "only"  do work on the motion tracker? Did you work towards anything else in the game?

2) How long would you spend on that one aspect? How complicated a process was it? 

I'm sure there will be follow up Q's, but I'll just with that.

I probably shouldn't talk about my job on a public forum (in the past I've not even mentioned what games I work on), but to answer your qns:

1) no, I was actually the lead audio designer on this game.  This means I was in charge of the whole audio team and all audio content; the video game equivalent of a Sound Supervisor in film.  I hired and worked with the composers, did casting and worked with the actors, and was the creative lead on all aspects of sound design.  I was also the technical designer, meaning I created most of the systems to play back music, sound and dialogue (I didn't do the programming though!)

2)  I was working on the game for over 2 years, and you tend to revisit important aspects like the motion tracker time and time again until release.  The basic design I did in about a week, but then added more and more bits over time.  It's actually not the same sound as any of the motion trackers in any of the films, as none of them had "proper" designs, i.e they weren't meant to actually be a real piece of kit, just a cool sound.  But I've managed to nail the Alien vibe clearly, as nobody's complained!

It's a massively team effort though so pretty much all my team had a hand in all areas.  It's a very collaborative job, which is why I like it.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I have to say this is all very cool, and from what I've seen from the trailers, the sound design is excellent. You and your team deserve a huge amount of credit. 

• Paid Members

Did anybody here give the Evil Within a punt? If so is it good so far? I'm in two minds whether to get it or not... it's either going to be that of Alien.

It's very much Resident Evil 4 with a load of bells and whistles. I'm enjoying it and it got decent reviews.

• Paid Members

Alien's getting on my tits a bit now...

Blew him out of an airlock a few hours ago. I miss the big lump, because it's just been boring games of hide and hide with the androids since. I'm sure it'll pick up again when he inevitably reappears/a new one pops out of someone's chest.

The fan service has still been great. Just seen someone with a magazine rammed down their throat!

Got The Evil Within to start after I'm done with that. Looks ace, I've been craving more Resi 4 for the last decade!

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

Alien's getting on my tits a bit now...

Blew him out of an airlock a few hours ago. I miss the big lump, because it's just been boring games of hide and hide with the androids since. I'm sure it'll pick up again when he inevitably reappears/a new one pops out of someone's chest.

The fan service has still been great. Just seen someone with a magazine rammed down their throat!

!

Stick with it, it's just a badly paced patch. Bolt gun those androids!

How cool was the planet btw.. That's fan service!

The new Borderlands game is put on Friday. Can't wait. Absolutely loved the first 2.

I'm a fan of Borderlands, but I can't help but feel the new game feels like DLC. I've read they plan DLC for it upto Oct 2015, considering BL series goes on sale nearly every steam sale, I'm thinking of just holding on till some kind of GOTY edition. I did that for BL2. It's going to be cool playing as Jack even if he is a fake version.

I've been waiting on Evil Within as well, but Bethesda came out with some quite bizarre PC requirements for the game that put me off buying it, I've been reading how people are having issues and what not, and those black bars! At least you can remove them on the PC version, but it seems to cause more trouble. I still really want to play it though, but I hope they get some kind of patch out to help.

Had to drop the difficulty level from hard to normal on Alien Isolation

the Alien was scary ruthless!

Completed anyway, quite liked the ending

Not bothering with the Survivor mode, so want to trade in, but CEXs website says they're not taking the nostromo edition???

They'll just take it as the regular edition. I hope, anyways. I posted mine off to them today.

• Paid Members

The new Borderlands game is put on Friday. Can't wait. Absolutely loved the first 2.

I'm a fan of Borderlands, but I can't help but feel the new game feels like DLC. I've read they plan DLC for it upto Oct 2015, considering BL series goes on sale nearly every steam sale, I'm thinking of just holding on till some kind of GOTY edition. I did that for BL2. It's going to be cool playing as Jack even if he is a fake version.

Anything in particular that's making you think it'll be like a DLC?

Just everything about it looks like BL2 and the 4 DLC's, it's not the next step I was expecting for the series. I've heard the main story is shorter than BL2 as well. With everything set on the moon I can't expect there to be much in terms of other areas to explore either, from what I've seen in the trailers theirs not much anyway.It's no surprise the game is not coming on PS4 or XB1, when it feels more like it's stretching BL2 out further. More BL2 isn't a bad thing, I just don't think it's worth the price as a stand alone game.

Edited by The Total Package

• Paid Members

Looking to get a few new games, can anyone recommend me some RPGs that are similar to Oblivion, Fallout:NV etc not fussed about the world it's set in just looking for something that includes plenty of exploration, quests, choices etc that can effect the outcome of the game. Not a massive gamer but i'm a sucker for RPGs like The Elder Scrolls series. 

Looking to get a few new games, can anyone recommend me some RPGs that are similar to Oblivion, Fallout:NV etc not fussed about the world it's set in just looking for something that includes plenty of exploration, quests, choices etc that can effect the outcome of the game. Not a massive gamer but i'm a sucker for RPGs like The Elder Scrolls series. 

Funnily enough, have just finished the first Dragon Age game and would definitely recommend that. I'd also suggest The Witcher 2 as well. Both have new games in the series out in the next few months so may be worth getting into either series now. Noticed there's currently a sale on the Dragon Age games in the Xbox store if you're on 360.

Outside of fantasy worlds, I'd suggest you give the Mass Effect series and also Deus Ex: Human Revolution a try if you haven't played either.

I don't know if it's what you're after, or what console you have, but Darksiders 2 is the free game on Games with gold on XBL this fortnight? From that, I picked up Dishonoured, it's from the studio who did Skyrim and Elder Scrolls and I'm enjoying that.