Popular Wrestlers you just can't get behind

kidkris

• Paid Members

It's got to be Marty Scrull.

He was shit at DG and tends to bore me on uk shows when he's not with Zack (whose a boss)

My stock answer used to be Mark Haskins for similar reasons. You could lose him in a multi-man and he'd be OK, but I never understood why everyone raved about him when there were plenty of other British guys every bit as good. He was nowhere near as good as everyone else seemed to want him to be and as he thought he was, and the way DG:UK seemed to want to set him up as a guy to follow Pac and be good enough to go over and make the transition to Dragon Gate regular.... just, no.

I don't mind him as much now he's toned down a lot of the stuff that bothered me, especially dumping Convoluted Indy Wank Finisher #241.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I've always liked Haskins but I can understand your point of view.

On the couple of times I've had an awkward chat with him (it's the only type I have as you may well know from experience) he was a super nice guy too, which doesn't affect your point but it is always nice to share a positive in this all to oft grim world.

I used to hate Kirby, just couldn't stand him, but then I got to see him outside of putting over some import before the ÂŁ10 in ring photos or stuck working with some uk douche-canoe and I saw some personality to go with his great in ring shtick and he won me over.

haskins- He is one of the ones i watch on progress and just struggle to get behind him.

scurll- I love his theme music, hate his moveset & watching previous episodes of wrestletalk seeing him try to be funny is just embarassing.

Ligero- reasons ive stated above

doug williams- I really like doug, he is a really nice down to earth guy but alot of his matches seem to leave me wanting more & not in a good sence, His team with nigel just seemed to take the excitment away from him.

I suppose in a sence its what your personally looking for in a wrestler/entertainer, I fucking love jimmy havoc his character, his move set and his promo's just appeal to me 10/10. Same with Jack jester and the nak group, I think as im getting older im moving away from the cartoon wrestling wwe presents to you and i love the gritty bare bones stuff alot more.

Haskins I do not mind, he can have some decent matches, I liked his Naito match and his tag match was not bad either. I have seen other matches with him and think he is fine midcarder or losing the odd main event. I am seeing him wrestle Lethal next week and think it will be decent but also feel there are better picks for Lethal than him. However I agree with many that he was overly hyped for quite a while and much was expected of him in a short space and it went tits up.

Never seen Wrestle Talk so never seen what Scurll is like on that. I hated that Party Marty gimmick, it was cringing. I do however like the Villain gimmick. Although not the greatest wrestler ever he has done well to get the chickenwing over as a big move and works well around this. Also the hair style and facial hair make you want him to lose.

Ligero, like Haskins he can have decent matches but another overly hyped guy. I have no problem with him being on the card but I feel his place is now in the midcard, headlining some shows but not winning the title. I think RPW did the right thing in having Dunne beat him for their CW title. Allowing Dunne to beat someone regarded as high quality by many builds his status and feel that's what Ligero should play that role.

I have not seen Doug Williams live since he left TNA and am looking forward to see him again next week. I would be dissapointed if he didn't have a really good match as he was a big favourite of mine when I was young. Only seen him in tag matches for ICW and he looked decent just not the same as he was a few years ago.

I think I still love cartoony to an extent, which is why I love Grado, Naito, Polo Promotions, Rockstar Spud,Tiger Mask and Liger.

That's a bit of revisionist history there Herbie

a) it was 12 days between comment and retort, not 4 months.

b) nobody gave you abuse until you got super defensive about Grado's reply because he happened to refer to your TV channel a rubbish failure. and started throwing out words like 'spacker'

c) a 'big crowd at some recent show' would be the 3000 they drew at the SECC, biggest UK show on UK soil in probably 3 decades.

And the first time anyone mentions him in a negative light, here you are bringing it up again. Not that you're thin-skinned and bitter of course.

a) Fine, it was 12 days. But it was still a few pages into a thread, and he bumped it directly after that show happened, specifically to reply to me. So my comment stuck with him, irritated him, and he came back as soon as that show was over just to 'put me in my place'. So who are you calling "thin-skinned" exactly?

b) I got super defensive? Where exactly? He got personal & I responded - wow - what a dick move. Imagine responding to someone when they get personal... I just stated some facts about TWC, which he claimed went out of business - which it didn't. I corrected false claims - is that what you call defensive? I then also went on to explain why I didn't like his gimmick, which is a personal preference. And I also gave him kudos for being a draw. And finally, I used the word 'spacker' to refer to people who watch Time Gentlemen Please & Mrs Browns Boys - which I apologised for immediately after using it.

c) We drew 3,490 at International Showdown in 2005, but whatever... 3000 is a good number - but I actually thought it was more & they beat Showdown by around 1000 people!?

Anyway - moving on...

They did,they sold 4,000 tickets. They set up for 3,500 and released an extra 500 once they were sold and the 500 extra ones went in the space of a day.

I work for Tickets Scotland and I can see the final numbers or full allocations for various events.

Interestingly ICW have NEVER kayfabed an attendance. Their allocation is always max capacity of whatever venue they run and they more or less sell the lot out no matter where they run.

Very VERY few tickets left for the Barras show which is a capacity of 2300. Which i think is still immense based on the fact they had 4000 in another venue in the city 2months ago. 

• Paid Members

Id be inclined to say Showdown was a better feat given the landscape of the industry in 2005. 

Funnily enough, I'd actually disagree - we had lots of big names on the show and free TV advertising at our disposal. What ICW have done is more impressive IMO. 

Is the industry better now than it was then? As far as show attendance in general, etc?

The British industry as a whole is definitely undergoing a boom period. It's an interesting contrast because whereas the scene now is much stronger, particularly in Scotland, there's less reliance on imports than there was 10 years ago.

I couldn't agree more, now on the British scene you can go out, part ways with your cash and know your going to see a kick ass show.

I think there are certain company's that still base themselves on being the company where you can see former tna/wwe guy and if that's what you want then it's incredible it's on your front door step.

Me on the other hand want good strong style wrestling with guys that go at it because they love what they do

Id be inclined to say Showdown was a better feat given the landscape of the industry in 2005. 

You could look at it in different ways. International Showdown had Williams, Sabin, Samoa Joe, Punk, Scorpio, Misawa, Tiger Emperor, Ogawa, Raven, Daniels and AJ Styles. ICW had Rhyno. I believe they both had Mick Foley. International Showdown sold on 10 more imports, ICW would have sold out without Rhyno and possibly without Foley. It also had a more central location in Coventry than Glasgow. I would also believe they would have been able to sell tickets to u-18's.

However as you said the British scene was much different 10 years ago when to get big crowds you did often need at least 1 import. I think 1pw had well over 10 usually and got about 1500, so it was no mean feat for Showdown. ICW has the advantage that the UK has more younger skilled wrestlers with better physiques and images than 10 years ago. It could be argued either way, but 3400 and 4000 are both impressive.

• Paid Members

I'm not really understanding the critique of Grado's title reign being underwhelming. He won the title in November, defended it on their December 'Raw-After-Mania' show, and defended it on EP3 of Friday Night Fight Club in a match which sees him feuding with Black Label. It's much too soon to call it underwhelming. Maybe ICW's booking of twisting and turning round every corner has given their fans short attention spans?

• Paid Members

I’ve never quite got into Zack Sabre – it’s probably because the first time I saw him live he was doing his grapple fuck stuff in front of a family audience to absolutely deafening silence. It might just also be that I find his low kneepads look really creepy though. I’m open to having my mind changed.

I think it’s harsh to pick Will Ospreay – I don’t think anyone is saying he’s a killer promo or he has a particularly threatening look. He’s just a really good flyer. He’s nailed on to wind up at New Japan or AAA or somewhere eventually. Matty Scurll as well I can’t agree with, he’s a million times better doing the Villain thing than he was doing Party Marty.

If you look at WWE as our “national” level promotion (which really it is, there’re here more than they are a good few US states) – the indie British scene feels much healthier than 10 years ago. Up North especially- it’s not just Ligero and his mates who are any good, there’s great talent all over the place across loads of promotions. It’s not just the con-men booking Undertaker 2 and selling Rey Mysterio masks filling up big places for one off audience’s who’ll never come back. The likes of Progress and ICW are offering something uniquely British rather than that imitation New York indie everyone was trying to do. With everyone seemingly attempting to expand, they won’t all be successful but right now the choice of live shows in most areas has never been better.

I'm not really understanding the critique of Grado's title reign being underwhelming. He won the title in November, defended it on their December 'Raw-After-Mania' show, and defended it on EP3 of Friday Night Fight Club in a match which sees him feuding with Black Label. It's much too soon to call it underwhelming. Maybe ICW's booking of twisting and turning round every corner has given their fans short attention spans?

Just from interviews, and a bulk of watching other wrestlers since getting on demand , he isn't who I would have as champ. I was unfair in my crit.

Archived