Popular Wrestlers you just can't get behind

kidkris

Ok so this may have been done in the past but i thought i would ask anyways.

What wrestlers are in and around the scene that you just cannot get in too.

one guy that not only can i stand as a wrestler, I cannot get behind his gimmick or see why he is as over as her is........... Sha samuels.

I follow various uk promotions alot closer than i follow any american stuff at the moment and sha is in and around all over the place, When i watch him live i just instantly turn off which is a shame because 9 times out of 10 he is in there with someone that i can tollorate.

So yeah let us know what are your picks

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a fan of Sha Samuels myself. Only seen him live twice, against Grado and against Tencozy, so just lucky I saw him against 3 wrestlers I really like which kept me interested. I understand his presence as a midcarder in an indy, however as he brings some humour but I would not be fussed if he was not a card but I will watch if he is and also not want him headlining. I think I just find the gimmick a bit stale, his brawling style is fine. 

He is facing Jimmy Havoc in a 6 man at high stakes next week which I am going to. Sadly I am not a big fan of Jimmy Havoc either who seems to be one of the favourites in the UK at the moment. I am not a massive hardcore fan, I like no dq matches that wrestlers like BT Gunn does in ICW but struggle with the Havoc style which is often used. However I have seen him in matches where he closer to the no dq style which I quite enjoyed. However his gimmick is based on being a sick bastard. Again I understand people enjoying it, just not my cup of tea. I struggled to get into his match at RPW Uprising but the crowd was loud so RPW are right to use him in their big shows.

I think in general there are a lot of shit wrestlers on the UK scene. That's not to say that there aren't some fantastically talented guys out there too. 

One thing that puts me off is the 'come on!' - clap clap clap - 'make some noise'... style faces. It's incredibly low rent and the UK does it wonderfully!

For me I just can't like Johnny Storm. It's not because he is a bad wrestler, far from it. It's mainly because he doesn't look the part at all. But then that is not exclusive to him. 

I think the clap clap clap wrestler is fine for many family based shows, especially in openers. I don't enjoy it but it can help get a crowd going so do not hate it.

With regards to shit wrestlers, there are plenty in whichever country you go.

I think I understand the Johnny Storm thing. I was a big fan of his 2000-06 but not sure I would be if he came about as a new guy now. That erer with FWA and IPW-UK gave an impression, not looks but style. That may have just been a reaction in being fed up with the roid filled WCW and WWF. Sadly 10 years later I think looks mixed with style is important.

I remember another, Chris Renfrew. I want NAK to lose so am happy with them being on the card (although I feel the gimmick has started to become over used) but would rather it was just BT Gunn, Wolfgang, Kay Lee Ray and Stevie Boy. Not a fan of his matches and some of his promos are annoying. I saw a match of his last year on ICW Alex Kidd in London and it was poor. However he seems really popular so again he will carry on being used.

Yeah I have always thought of jonny storm as overated, Grado i get but ill be honest it pissed me off when he got the belt from drew at fear & loathing. I like everyone else saw it coming a mile off.

Jimmy havoc is by far one of my favourites but he has the same sence of humor as me and he's a massive cunt

2 things massively in common.

Yeah I have always thought of jonny storm as overated, Grado i get but ill be honest it pissed me off when he got the belt from drew at fear & loathing. I like everyone else saw it coming a mile off.

I think everybody did. He's a guy I love seeing, one of my favourites to watch, but just rather he was not champion. It should of been Joe Coffey or Damo. However that is more critical of the booking rather than Grado himself.

I think everybody did. He's a guy I love seeing, one of my favourites to watch, but just rather he was not champion. It should of been Joe Coffey or Damo. However that is more critical of the booking rather than Grado himself.

Do you reckon Joe or Damo taking the belt would have gotten the reaction Grado did though?  Not that both guys aren't excellent members of the ICW roster but that crowd wanted Grado to win much more than they would have for anyone else.

Not to come off as a blind defender of Grado, we all know that he doesn't have the same skill level as some of the other guys on the ICW roster, but his matches invariable provoke the loudest crowd reactions and put more bums in seats (or legs standing up I suppose).

I suppose looking at it that way grado is one of the uk's biggest success stories, whether he deserves it is the bigger question.

There are so many worthy candidates in icw tho from any of the NAK members to mickey whiplash

Grado just has a lot of exposure at the moment

• Paid Members

Wrestling's about selling tickets and (if there is any) merch. The way to getting there is getting over. If you've gotten over without injuring anyone through negligence, you deserve any success you get, regardless of technical ability.

• Moderators

Yeah, but it's still a valid question as to whether it's a good decision to put the belt on him. Does he need it? Would the narrative be better if someone else had it?

If you look at the idea of "deserving" it in this context, then it's worth considering - i.e. is he portrayed as and believable as the top dog in the company.

Do you reckon Joe or Damo taking the belt would have gotten the reaction Grado did though?  Not that both guys aren't excellent members of the ICW roster but that crowd wanted Grado to win much more than they would have for anyone else.

Not to come off as a blind defender of Grado, we all know that he doesn't have the same skill level as some of the other guys on the ICW roster, but his matches invariable provoke the loudest crowd reactions and put more bums in seats (or legs standing up I suppose).

I love Grado but he gets massive cheers, sold tickets and merch just being an upper midcard. Damo and Coffey come across as the hard guys in the promotion. The title could of made them bigger members. I actually think Grado as a whole is a very good wrestler, he can hook you into any match.

Grado for me is the ultimate underdog act and it's a believable one in my opinion.  I get the appeal of Joe and Damo and I think their day will come.  For me, putting the belt on Grado on the biggest show in British Wrestling for years was perfectly booked.  It looks like this year is shaping up to be ICW Vs The Black Label Vs The NAK which provides a number of fresh scenarios and matches.  Traditionally ICW don;t switch their top title often but I think we might see a quick hotshot or two this year to help build a massive angle that'll be blown off at the Hydro.

Anyway, on the original topic there's one guy I'm not entirely sold on who get's massive props everywhere - El Ligero.  Seen him maybe half a dozen times, admittedly on shows where I'm much more interested in other matches, and while he is obviously a talented wrestler I don't see him as being any better than a lot of his contemporaries.

Archived