Looking great in defeat

Carbomb

• Paid Members

Probably been discussed a million times on here but Jeff Hardy came out of his ladder match with Taker looking a real star, didn't do much for his career at the time though (probably his own fault.)

That's the first match that came to my mind when I saw this thread. Taker (as a no nonsense heel) raising Hardy's hand after the match made it even better.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

HHH after his loss to HBK at SSlam 2002. Smashed the shit out of Shawn and was World Champ the next week.

Was that HBKs only singles pinfall victory over HHH from his comeback?

It can't have been, can it? That feud was so fucking interminable, HBK must have at least more than one singles pinfall win over HHH?

• Paid Members

It can't have been, can it? That feud was so fucking interminable, HBK must have at least more than one singles pinfall win over HHH?

It just might have been. The short feud they had at the end of the year had Shawn take the title in the Elimination Chamber and drop it straight back to Hunter at Armageddon, then if you ignore the tags and six-mans during most of 2003, their feud got reheated at the end of the year when Shawn actually pinned Triple H on Raw but Bischoff called a draw because Shawn's shoulders were down (which was bollocks because Trips had no body weight on Shawn, so couldn't be said to have been pinning him). They had the decent-but-too-long Last Man Standing match at the Rumble, the two triangle matches with Benoit, and then were required to have a blow off match after Hunter had cost HBK a title match with Benoit on Raw and then Shawn returned the favour, fucking Hunter over at the end of the Iron Man match between him and Benoit. The blow off was the Hell In A Cell match, which lasted about three weeks, and that Triple H won.

Correct me if I'm wrong but after SummerSlam 2002, Shawn did not pin Hunter in a singles match on TV again.

Shawn and Hunter also had a one on one match at Taboo Tuesday 2004 where Shawn had a bad leg - HHH won there as well.

I seem to recall Eddie Guerrero looking great in defeat following the no holds barred match with Edge on Smackdown in 2002 - the crowd gave him a standing ovation IIRC, despite the fact he was a heel.

One of the few times TNA has done this well was when Kurt Angle beat Kazarian in 2007 or 2008. It was the match where Kaz was saying "this close" with a big grin on his face afterwards. I remember thinking he looked brilliant afterwards, but then they had him play Suicide and fucked him for a few years. loltna.

It just might have been. The short feud they had at the end of the year had Shawn take the title in the Elimination Chamber and drop it straight back to Hunter at Armageddon, then if you ignore the tags and six-mans during most of 2003, their feud got reheated at the end of the year when Shawn actually pinned Triple H on Raw but Bischoff called a draw because Shawn's shoulders were down (which was bollocks because Trips had no body weight on Shawn, so couldn't be said to have been pinning him). They had the decent-but-too-long Last Man Standing match at the Rumble, the two triangle matches with Benoit, and then were required to have a blow off match after Hunter had cost HBK a title match with Benoit on Raw and then Shawn returned the favour, fucking Hunter over at the end of the Iron Man match between him and Benoit. The blow off was the Hell In A Cell match, which lasted about three weeks, and that Triple H won.

Correct me if I'm wrong but after SummerSlam 2002, Shawn did not pin Hunter in a singles match on TV again.

Nailed it Air Raid. Going back i would of had HBK beat HHH at Bad Blood 2004 to set up a Benoit v Michaels PPV singles title match and totally scrapped the HHH is Eugenes friend angle.

• Paid Members

Bret at survivor series, i think 90 when dibiase pinned him. Piper was great on commentary.

The ending to that match left such an impact on me, it inspired me to start a thread not long ago :

https://ukff.com/topic/131890-when-was-the-first-time-wrestling-broke-your-heart/

In a similar vein, Bam Bam Bigelow in Survivors 1987. Not only did he look brilliant with his speed and agility in the early going, at the end he entered a great performance when left alone with One Man Gang, King Kong Bundy and Andre the Giant, in the prototype for Bret's 3 on 1 valiant defeat. Bam Bam's body language in particular is awesome when he pins Bundy and his mannerisms just scream "I'm fucked, but I've got to go on," and it seems like a miracle when he pins the Gang as well.

tumblr_nn1wijbvWk1svsahho1_500.jpg

Sadly a knackered bloke - even a bloke as hard as Bigelow clearly is - fighting Andre the Giant, is not a fight that lasts long. However at the end of this match, sod Hogan and his poor loser routine, I sit there thinking "they just Bam Bam look hard as nails."

Nailed it Air Raid. Going back i would of had HBK beat HHH at Bad Blood 2004 to set up a Benoit v Michaels PPV singles title match and totally scrapped the HHH is Eugenes friend angle.

The finish to Benoit/HHH at Vengence only serving to further the HHH/Eugene issue left a really bad taste in my mouth. Between that finish and Shawn's interference in the Iron Man match, they seemed real keen that Benoit not be permitted to cleanly beat Triple H in singles on TV. Not that it would have particularly done anything for Benoit that him convincingly winning the Mania XX main event did, in my eyes, but it felt like a conscious effort to not portray "The Crippler" as capable of beating Tripper in a one on one setting. Hunter also lost to Benoit in Gold Rush due in large part to interference from Batista although did eventually lose cleanly to him in a televised singles match on the Eddie tribute SmackDown, which by that point was a bit incongruous of their relative positions on the food chain and much like Rey pinning Shawn Michaels was a "because Eddie" result.

Kane, Royal Rumble 2001.

One of my favourite Rumble performances. He was in for over 50 minutes and eliminated 10 guys, including The Rock in the final three. I was an Austin guy at the time but I desperately wanted Kane to take this after his performance. Austin winning was the right choice but I hadn't cared much for Kane for a long time before this. Gave him that monster aura he had lost during 99-00.

.... Maybe not quite the level of some of these bouts... But they had the chance this year to do something similar with Reigns at Mania. He did look the part in that match, but how it was killed off the next night by Shit booking made it irrelevant

Was it Royal Rumble 2003 when Benoit got the standing ovation after running Angle close for the SmackDown belt? He came out of that match looking like a supremely proficient wrestler who was almost able to beat an olympic gold medalist at his own game (and Angle probably cheated or something as well, I can't remember the details). Was among the first times a workrate crowd made themselves heard at a WWE show. Cena probably woke up in a cold sweat that night and couldn't put his finger on why.

Archived