Looking great in defeat

Carbomb

There's that awesome TV match HHH had with Taka Michinoku in early 2000 where Hunter made it look like Taka had a legitimate shot of beating him. Taka didn't seem much going on but came out as a guy who pushed the world champion hard. It never went anywhere and Taka pretty soon phased into a jobber but he looked good there. HHH was really good at that early in his career. Foley looked really good losing to him at KorR 97, rock looked awesome in the ladder match at Summerslam 98 and even Bob Holly was allowed to look like a star during that match they had on Heat in 2000.

Triple H was so good at that in late '99 / early 2000.  Making jobbers/mid card stars look real strong in defeat.

I remember when there was a lottery on SmackDown to find an opponent for Triple H to show that the McMahon-Helmsley era was about opportunities.  The draw was supposed to be rigged and the Fink messed up and pulled Rikishi out of the hat.  Rikishi went close and Triple H managed to make him look like real threat.

Same with the SmackDown match between Triple H and Chris Benoit, the Thursday after the Radicalz had appeared on Raw.

Triple H made Jericho in WWE.  Chris would agree, I'm sure. There are two different nights in 2000.  There was the "title win", where the fans erupted on Raw when Jericho pinned the Game, only for the decision to be reversed because of Earl Hebner's fast count.  Jericho lost against Triple H later in the night.  Then there was the last man standing match at fully loaded.  Arguably, Jericho should have gone over, but he looked so strong coming out of that match.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has to be Edge and Christian after losing the first tag team Ladder Match to the Hardy Boyz. Everyone came out of that match looking like an absolute superstar. 

Fairly safe to assume Jeff, Edge and Christian wouldn't have become World/WWE champions without it. (Fuck you Matt)

• Paid Members

There's that awesome TV match HHH had with Taka Michinoku in early 2000 where Hunter made it look like Taka had a legitimate shot of beating him. Taka didn't seem much going on but came out as a guy who pushed the world champion hard. It never went anywhere and Taka pretty soon phased into a jobber but he looked good there. HHH was really good at that early in his career. Foley looked really good losing to him at KorR 97, rock looked awesome in the ladder match at Summerslam 98 and even Bob Holly was allowed to look like a star during that match they had on Heat in 2000.

Triple H was so good at that in late '99 / early 2000.  Making jobbers/mid card stars look real strong in defeat.

Taka was pretty good too, and held up his side of the match - he wasn't bad before he joined the WWF, but watch his All-Japan and K-Dojo matches since he went back to Japan, and you see how great he got during his time there.

I remember when there was a lottery on SmackDown to find an opponent for Triple H to show that the McMahon-Helmsley era was about opportunities.  The draw was supposed to be rigged and the Fink messed up and pulled Rikishi out of the hat.  Rikishi went close and Triple H managed to make him look like real threat.

Same with the SmackDown match between Triple H and Chris Benoit, the Thursday after the Radicalz had appeared on Raw.

Triple H made Jericho in WWE.  Chris would agree, I'm sure. There are two different nights in 2000.  There was the "title win", where the fans erupted on Raw when Jericho pinned the Game, only for the decision to be reversed because of Earl Hebner's fast count.  Jericho lost against Triple H later in the night.  Then there was the last man standing match at fully loaded.  Arguably, Jericho should have gone over, but he looked so strong coming out of that match.

There was also the Sunday Night Heat match against Hardcore Holly which was far better than it had any right to be. I was really invested in Holly for a while after this and thought he was the bollocks, possibly smoke and mirrors in retrospect.

There was also the Sunday Night Heat match against Hardcore Holly which was far better than it had any right to be. I was really invested in Holly for a while after this and thought he was the bollocks, possibly smoke and mirrors in retrospect.

Oh God yes - completely forgot about this.

A lot of people bitch and moan about those that Triple H made look bad, but I think there's an equally long list of guys that Triple H has made look great.  

I'd also throw in the following Mick Foley matches - I believe that his ability to take an absolute sick bump sticks in the mind and is so iconic, you remember the moment over the winner of the match.

Mankind vs Shawn Michaels (Mind games 96)

Mankind vs Undertaker (King of the Ring 98)

Mankind vs the Rock (Royal Rumble '99)

Cactus Jack vs Triple H (Royal Rumble 2000)

Randy Orton vs Mick Foley (Backlash 2004)

Edge vs Mick Foley (WM22)

I'd also throw in the following Mick Foley matches - I believe that his ability to take an absolute sick bump sticks in the mind and is so iconic, you remember the moment over the winner of the match.

Mankind vs Shawn Michaels (Mind games 96)

Mankind vs Undertaker (King of the Ring 98)

Mankind vs the Rock (Royal Rumble '99)

Cactus Jack vs Triple H (Royal Rumble 2000)

Randy Orton vs Mick Foley (Backlash 2004)

Edge vs Mick Foley (WM22)

And Cactus vs Sting (Beach Blast 92)

Cactus vs Vader (Halloween Havoc 93)

Mankind vs HHH (KotR 97)

Mankind vs Undertaker (Revenge of the Taker 97)

Mick Foley was really all about getting more over the more he got beat. Even in that match with Mil Mascaras at Clash 10, he made people really sit up and take notice by taking that mad bump off the apron, even though he got zero offence in during the match. It helped that JR and Cornette put him over brilliantly on commentary too.

Archived