Ranking the WrestleManias - The Bottom 10

Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

I thought about 7 and 16 when typing my earlier reply. 7 has a load of filler but has the magnificent Warrior/Savage match, the really good opener, decent effort from Bossman/Perfect and the Tag Title switch. That's more than enough to keep it clear of the real dross like 1, 2, 4 & 11.

16 is really poor in the context of the year it was in but the brilliant ladder match, the Benoit/Angle/Jericho match and the main event are decent and the hardcore title rumble is fun.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say any Wrestlemania that has at least one very good to great match (subjective as that is) shouldn't be considered as anywhere near the worst, so you're looking at

I've only seen up to 20 so obviously can't add anymore til I get round to watching them on the network

So, for the next three weeks, we're going to be doing a series of podcasts debating the rankings for all 30 WrestleManias in order, from worst to first in blocks of ten, and would like to get some feedback to read on the shows.

I've written an article on what I feel are the bottom 10 (if you're interested you can read it here: http://steelchair.co.uk/ranking-the-wrestlemanias-the-bottom-10), and want to hear what agreements or disagreements people have with it, what they would rank higher or lower, and why.

For those who don't want to read the whole article, the bottom 10 are:

#30 - WrestleMania 9 (1993)

#29 - WrestleMania 11 (1995)

#28 - WrestleMania 4 (1988)

#27 - WrestleMania 2 (1986)

#26 - WrestleMania 1 (1985)

#25 - WrestleMania 15 (1999)

#24 - WrestleMania 6 (1990)

#23 - WrestleMania 5 (1989)

#22 - WrestleMania 29 (2013)

#21 - WrestleMania 27 (2011)

We'll be debating the order on the shows and reading your responses and crediting you accordingly, so what do you think?

Can't argue with most of your selections, apart from 5 & 6, which are two of the better ones from the first nine. Wrestlemania 12 deserves to be in the bottom ten IMO, unless you have a high opinion of the iron man match then it's a very dull show. Similarly, 3 is largely awful apart from Savage-Steamboat and the hype of Hogan-Andre. 18 isn't great either.

My memory of Wrestlemania's isn't nearly as good for the recent ones so I can't recall if 27 & 29 were worse than the others from around then.

7 is really awful!

USA propaganda, cashing in on an real life war, many awful matches, rotating commentators, a terrible main event. Only saving grace is the obvious Warrior v Savage match, but it doesn't scream Wrestlemania at me. More house show surrounded with the american flag plastered everywhere.

It's a horrid show

Skolbocks!

7’s a wonderful 'Mania. One of the best. Every match that they gave any time to was great. The only black marks were the bits of undercard filler which bloated the card a bit, but they were so short and never interfered with the marquee matches, so were insignificant. I’d have it top 5 easy, and even higher when the nostalgia effect’s been factored in.

Agree with most of whats been said about 11 and 27. They were just rotten and deserve to be right down at the bottom. 15 was absolutely brutal too, and more than deserves its spot on there also - in fact I’d have it even lower, maybe even at rock bottom.

1 and 2 were shite also, but we can cut them some slack because they were just finding their feet with the concept, and it’s probably a bit unfair to even compare these two to later WMs. To me, Wrestlemania really began with the fantastic III.

5 and 6 have no place being so low on that list imo. Both of them were fine, and probably deserve to be somewhere in the middle (although 6 is still a big favourite of mine for nostalgic reasons).

9 would be another that I’d have in the middle 1/3. It’s one I’ve always enjoyed and maintain that it was one epic, memorable match away from being widely considered a cracking show. Most of it was perfectly enjoyable fare, but when you don’t have that classic at the top, folk tend to look more to the midcard and have higher, unrealistic expectations.

13 was a bad, bad show too. Having arguably the match of the decade doesn’t change that when you still have two and a half hours to fill and the only worthwhile thing you’ve got to show for it is a fun streetfight. I think 13 is interesting for showing up what different folk value in their wrestling shows. For some, they just want a classic or two; for others it’s simply the whole equals the sum of the parts. But for me, I watch a show from the beginning to end, so I want steady entertainment throughout. I’d rather watch a show that was a solid 3 hours of goodness (e.g WM14), than 2 hours of shite and one of greatness (like WMX)

Last but not least, the most striking thing about that original list, and the first page or so of comments is, where the hell is WM18?! What a pile of steaming horseshit that was!

A blindfold match which got exposed in the first couple of minutes, Demoltion thrown into a random tag match instead of facing LOD, the worst main event of any mania EVER and tons and tons of filler.  Add that to what I posted before and it's shit awful.  No matter how epic ONE match was, that doesn't redeem the show.

I honestly didn't really like Wrestlemania 20, at the time or now. The cruiserweight open, Goldberg/Lesnar, Taker/Kane all being particularly bad. The fact that it was 20 as well, cause I was expecting something special, makes it seem worse to me. The main event was good, but I can't remember any other stand outs from the show.

• Paid Members

Mania VII has these good matches

Rockers/Faces of Fear

Bulldog/Warlord (shockingly good match)

Harts/Nastys

Blindfold Match (fucking genius psychology, who cares that it wasn't a match, Jake was never about the matches).

Career Match with THAT post match, being one of best wrestling moments ever.

The IC title is bloody decent and some fun stuff worked in it.

Virgil/DiBiasi is good angle building.

Main Event is not terrible, there has been worse.

To argue some other brought up points. Demolition were the perfect choice to job to the SWS lads. They had a deal with the SWS and the Demos were on there way out. Power & Glory were the newer team and were going to lose a competitive match before Roma and Herc took injuries. The LOD/Demos feud was done by Survivor Series and drew on the house shows which was where the feud money was in those days a lot of the time. Also Mania VII has Dino Bravo getting jobbed out clean and quick, so its a fave of mine.

Archived