Ranking the WrestleManias - The Bottom 10

Liam O'Rourke

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

No no, the '95 Rumble. I was convinced that Bundy was winning and Bret was getting the belt back and we were finally going to be "treated" to the Bret v Bundy series that the WWF Magazine had been hinting at in the autumn.

My mate that taped it off Sky for me was convinced Mabel was going to win because he was even fatter.

Love the responses here, and am happy to say I was able to read a great many of them on the show, which is now up to listen to at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/aixp2f/SCGRadio31-RankingtheWrestleManias-TheBottom10.mp3

This ended up being a really fun podcast, breaking down the different elements of all the shows in the Bottom 10 and debating the order of the list itself. Check it out and let me know what you think!

• Paid Members

Assorted thoughts :

• Use of the WrestleMania single (WOAH, WOAH, WrestleMania!!) just because it's awesome.
  • A couple of points about the "positives" for Mania IX ; Michaels vs Tatanka is worthy of more praise than it gets because Shawn was carrying a shoulder injury, and Steiners vs Headshrinkers actually is a mild disappointment in my eyes, because while it's OK on its own merits, the two teams had much better matches in WCW before this one.
  • Agree with the gutless finishes for Mania IX. Shawn vs Tatanka is the one you discuss and is obvious for the guy that isn't losing the belt VS the guy we're not ready to beat on TV yet, but we also need to talk about Mr Perfect vs Lex Luger - we need Luger to win because he's going to be running with Bret, but Perfect is going to be challenging Shawn for the Intercontinental belt, so we can't beat him clean. Basically, everyone needs protecting, because the roster is piss weak.
  • "The fact the Harris boys got on WrestleMania (XI) pains me to some degree" - aces.
  • "I'll just say for the record ; I don't like Salt 'N' Pepa." - good work Carl. Took me by surprise with that one.
  • "I think I had a birthday in the middle of (Mania IV)" - BAZINGA. You're all spot on about the dead crowd at Mania IV-V, the reason being that a hell of a lot of those in attendance are freebies for mates of Trump, corporate giveaways, parts of package deals "Come to Trump Plaza and gamble, also wrestling" style. It's not a hugely "wrestling fans" crowd.
  • I wish I'd chipped in on WrestleMania XXIX - the biggest weakness that show had, was that it felt completely pointless to watch, because the results of ALL of the top three matches were foregone conclusions. I watched that show with four other guys, and we had real problems giving a shit, because every match was just THERE, with an air of "wait patiently for Taker/Hunter/Cena to win." Nothing to do with match quality, but there was no excitement. The results were just THAT predictable. The show literally felt like a waste of my life watching it.
  • I'm with you 100% on buying into Hunter possibly ending the Streak where I never bought into Shawn beating him. That match had a ton of drama/storytelling built into the home stretch and I don't have any time for the argument that it was spot-spot-spot. I actually believed that Hunter was going to beat him after that Tombstone - probably the only time in a decade I thought Taker was actually about to lose at a WrestleMania. Even when Brock was hitting the third F5 last year, my thought was "Wow, they're killing the F5 here" and I didn't give it a chance of being the finish. That's how much drama there was to Taker/Hunter... it may have been my most recent favourite Taker match.

Here's the backstory of Hogan getting the belt back at Mania IX, to answer your "was it always the plan" question, which none of you seemed sure of an answer to, according to two of the guys involved :

If you believe Bret('s book), Vince told him only on the day of Mania IX that he was now losing the title to Yoko and then Hogan would win it, and then Bret would win it from Hogan at SummerSlam before Hogan left again.
Hogan says this, but it's in his book so it's probably lies. But they're entertaining lies.

The main event would pit Yokozuna, a seven-hundred-pound challenger, against the champion, Bret Hart. Yokozuna was slated to win that match and take the heavyweight belt. But when I got to the building, I told Vince, "Look man, we both know I'm done here. The moment has passed, the love affair is over. But I've got an idea that will allow me to pass the torch." "And what's that?" Vince said.

"After my tag match is over, when Bret Hart gets beat by Yokozuna, how about if I come out to protest the way Bret lost? Yokozuna's manager, Mr Fuji, can challenge me to get into the ring against Yokozuna - and boom, I beat Yokozuna to win the title. Then I go to the next Pay-Per-View and drop the belt right back to Yokozuna, and I'm out of here."

That was the deal. Vince agreed to it and I thought, Boy, I just stole me a couple more big paydays. And I didn't mind doing a job for Yokozuna because I loved the guy to death. It was all set.

Bret book quote :

On April 2, 1993, went to my room just in time to answer a call from Vince, who asked me to come to his suite to talk. I knocked on his door and he answered it with that goofy grin. We sat down, and Vince said, “This is what I want to do. I want you to drop the belt to Yoko tomorrow.”

This was not what I had expected. I sat there dumbstruck as he went on to explain how Fuji would screw me by throwing salt in my face, blinding me. After Yoko was handed the belt, Hogan would rush to my aid and in some kind of roundabout way Hogan would end up winning the belt from Yoko right then and there!

Like I was handing Vince my sword, I told him I appreciated everything he did for me and I’d do whatever he wanted.

So, there's something of an answer.

I only just realized ; I'm shocked there are apparently 10 WrestleManias worse than 12. The only things I like about Mania 12 are the nostalgia of Warrior coming back, and Sunny's tits, but they don't count because they were Free-For-All. So to speak. But that will come up in another thread. Apologies in advance too for cut n pasting my thoughts on Mania 16 into your next thread for the "middle 10" - because I'll be shocked as shit if it's made the top 10.

Lex blamed Curt for fucking up his debut WrestleMania match. Luger reckons that he forgot every spot that was planned for their match as soon as they were in the ring.  Unless Luger's just passing the buck, but going by various tales that we've heard about Perfect it's probably true.

According to Bret the same thing happened with Davey Boy during their Wembley match. But yet that match turned out to be a cracker.

• Paid Members

Pretty sure Curt was hanging out of his arse, so it's probably true.

According to Bret the same thing happened with Davey Boy during their Wembley match. But yet that match turned out to be a cracker.

Well, the muscle head forgetting all the spots because he's been smoking too much crack with Neidhart but the ring general being able to walk him through it is one thing, but I'm sure Lex (who by his own admission was a limited wrestler) was the one reliant on Hennig to guide him through it, so when it's the one leading the match that's fukd/bombd, you've got problems.

Archived