UFC 185: Pettis vs Dos Anjos

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Regarding RDA and PEDs, I have to admit, when watching him last night it was running through my mind.

Nah, Pettis got handled by Guida as well. This was always going to be be a possible outcome to be honest.

I'll also go out on a limb and say that the Pettis/RDA fight would be the blueprint of what would happen if & when McGregor faces someone with above average wrestling and a ground game,such as Mendes.

I'll be waiting with my money for the time that finally happens as well  :smug:

RDA in 2012:

rafael-dos-anjos-11.jpg

And in 2015:

rafadosanjos.jpg

And I'll take a £100 bet with you on the McGregor/Aldo fight if you want.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I dunno, man - think you might want to use different pictures. The baby oil and lighting make a ton of difference in photos. It's not really comparing like for like - too difficult to judge from those two pics.

• Paid Members

Not arsed finding other photos, but my point is just that I think he's on PEDs. Not just because he beat Pettis - but because of his body definition and how much he's improved & the pace he was able to set. I've seen him fight for years; he's always been good, but this was the performance of his career.

Edit: here - no baby oil or professional lighting:

rafael-dos-anjos-11.jpg

rda-200x300.jpg

Regarding RDA and PEDs, I have to admit, when watching him last night it was running through my mind.

Nah, Pettis got handled by Guida as well. This was always going to be be a possible outcome to be honest.

I'll also go out on a limb and say that the Pettis/RDA fight would be the blueprint of what would happen if & when McGregor faces someone with above average wrestling and a ground game,such as Mendes.

I'll be waiting with my money for the time that finally happens as well  :smug:

RDA in 2012:

rafael-dos-anjos-11.jpg

And in 2015:

rafadosanjos.jpg

And I'll take a £100 bet with you on the McGregor/Aldo fight if you want.

Those photos don't really suggest much other than the guy has cleaned up his diet. He's not looking any bigger, just a bit more cut. He has abs.

It was said that he's really stepped up his game over the past few years. He's finding his stride, maturing as a fighter and all that jazz. That doesn't mean he has to be on the gas, does it?

As for the bet, I said I'd bet on something similar happening when McGregor faces someone with above average wrestling and a decent ground game. Aldo isn't that guy.

If he ever faces Mendes or Edgar I'll happily take your money (pounds mind, none of your Euro shite).

• Paid Members

What's most unfortunate about Dos Anjos' suspiciously awesome performance was the fact that they were in Texas, with the Texas commision publically announcing ahead of time that nobody was going to be tested other than on the day of the fight. So essentially you could take whatever the fuck you wanted, provided it was out of your system by fight time.

Obviously, there's always the chance that he was clean, but whatever doubts I had are only intensified by the extremely rare circumstances surrounding the fight. Maybe it's just a sign of the times, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Dos Anjos gets popped within the next few months, especially once they start doing those random year-round tests.

• Paid Members

Sure, there's a chance he's clean - of course. I'm just saying I don't think he is - but we'll never know for sure unless he fails a test. I wonder if his body will get soft when UFC brings in the random testing...

I just think that after recent drug test failures we're now seeing fighters being accused left, right & centre.

"that guy looks in good shape. Probably PED's", "his cardio has improved. PED's", "That guy managed to win a fight he wasn't supposed to win. Likely on PED's".

Where does it end? I doubt if Pettis had blasted Dos Anjos out in the first round without any trouble we'd even be discussing what Dos Anjos abs looked like.

• Paid Members

I just think that after recent drug test failures we're now seeing fighters being accused left, right & centre.

"that guy looks in good shape. Probably PED's", "his cardio has improved. PED's", "That guy managed to win a fight he wasn't supposed to win. Likely on PED's".

Where does it end? I doubt if Pettis had blasted Dos Anjos out in the first round without any trouble we'd even be discussing what Dos Anjos abs looked like.

"that guy looks in good shape. Probably PED's",

I didn't say that though - I'm referring to a change in body type as he gets older, which is unusual. And a level of explosive power he never had before. It's both performance & aesthetics.

"I doubt if Pettis had blasted Dos Anjos out in the first round without any trouble we'd even be discussing what Dos Anjos abs looked like."

Probably not, because part of my argument is based off what we saw ability-wise, in addition to the body & muscle definition. So we wouldn't have seen a 5 round explosive & powerful domination.

Some guys have great genetics and have always looked ripped - Dos Anjos has only looked ripped recently. Sure, it could be diet - but I really don't think so.

• Paid Members

I didn't say that though - I'm referring to a change in body type as he gets older, which is unusual. And a level of explosive power he never had before. It's both performance & aesthetics.

"I doubt if Pettis had blasted Dos Anjos out in the first round without any trouble we'd even be discussing what Dos Anjos abs looked like."

Probably not, because part of my argument is based off what we saw ability-wise, in addition to the body & muscle definition. So we wouldn't have seen a 5 round explosive & powerful domination.

That's exactly it. It was the performance on one good knee that has people suspecting something may be up (and of course the fact PEDs are a hot topic, for good reason). Nobody isn't saying it wasn't brilliant stuff from Dos Anjos, but you're being naive if you aren't slightly suspicious of that sort of brilliance on one good knee.

Some guys have great genetics and have always looked ripped - Dos Anjos has only looked ripped recently. Sure, it could be diet - but I really don't think so.

I could see your point if he was suddenly high kicking people into the mat, but he isn't really. He's doing what he's always done, only now he seems to have it together a bit more.

He's always been a grappling stud, and now he's added to his striking game under Rafael Cordeiro. As Luke Thomas said on fight night "RDA has shown elements of his greatness in pieces, separated by fights. This may be the first time we've seen it as a whole, all in one fight"

His cardio has been off the charts since he faced Mark Bocek, and that was over two years ago., and in the hype show it was pointed out that he's seen more improvements in his game since hooking up with Nick Curson, his new strength & conditioning coach.

Curson, for those who don't know, is the guy responsible for working with boxers like Donnie Nietes & Nonito Donaire, and word is that he may be brought in to work with Pacquiao for his fight with Mayweather. The dude knows his shit.

Throw in the general feeling that Pettis isn't the best cardio-wise and you have a perfect storm.

As a Pettis fan, I am rejecting the notion that RDA juiced.  I would feel like I was indulging in sour grapes and wishful thinking if I entertained such an accusation. 

I would be lying if I said that PED did not cross my mind during the fight, but that is more a reflection of contemporary MMA culture, rather than anything specific to RDA. Currently, at any time a fighter exceeds expectations, the "PED card" is going to be thrown about. There is still a massive mistrust of fighters due what happened a few months back, and it is going to be a while before that mistrust goes away.

I would not be shocked if RDA gets busted in the future, and then we can review the possibility that his Championship win was greatly influenced by PED. But for now, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. 

• Paid Members

It really does suck that we live in a World where even the great Anderson Silva cheated, but it's the way it's going to be until the UFC have their testing program up and running. At least the UFC have realised the damage coming their way by letting things get out of hand and are now working hard to set up something you hope will be hard to get round, if you are on something.

• Paid Members

Boy, did I open up a can of worms.

For the record, I don't even think Dos Anjos is on the gas. Well no more than I'd suspect everyone else in the sport. I wouldn't rule out anyone at this point but I'm not particularly suspicious of Dos Anjos. He's been improving gradually for fucking years. Even if you look at his UFC losses, they've pretty much all got asterisks to them, except the Khabib loss which was just a total ragdolling.

The Jeremy Stephens fight he was winning before getting caught late with the uppercut. Stephens won fair and square but the ending doesn't tell the whole tale of the fight.

The Tyson Griffin loss was razor close and he nearly ripped Tyson's leg off with this wacky leg compression thingy;

3408936289_e7e5bc3b7b_medium.jpg

Remember that shit?

Then the Guida loss, again in a fight RDA was getting the better of, he suffered a broken jaw and was stopped with that weird face crank thing.

All fair wins by the opponents, but it was never like he was really bettered in a UFC fight until the Khabib loss. His losses were all down to close calls and unfortunate circumstances.

He's been on a hot streak for ages. Since 2012, he's 9-1. It's not like he's suddenly got good overnight. He's been adding to his skillset for a long time. He was showing lethal leg kicks back in 2009 when he jacked Rob Emerson's legs up. He showed wrestling improvements in the Anthony Njokuani fight in 2012. He's always been a great BJJ artist.

People have underrated him forever. I remember reading almost everywhere before the Cerrone fight that Cerrone was going to beat him. People were acting like he had to get the fight to the ground or he's fucked. Then the fight started and he was more than capable of striking with Cerrone and even dropped him with a punch.

You never know. Maybe he was juiced for all I know. But I'd say the Pettis fight was more likely a combination of his overall game coming together at the perfect time, and maybe Pettis underestimating him.

• Paid Members

But I'd say the Pettis fight was more likely a combination of his overall game coming together at the perfect time, and maybe Pettis underestimating him.

I'd say it's that too - but in addition to PEDs. I already said I could be wrong - it's just my gut feeling based on how he looked, physically and his outstanding performance. I know he's a stud & an amazing fighter - I know that. But this was something extra. And his body-fat % looked off-the-charts low.

Archived