UFC 185: Pettis vs Dos Anjos

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

So, with all the major shit kicking off early this year this seems to have fallen into obscurity almost. The event is this weekend and we are only on page 2.

This for is the best main card of the year so far and I'm probably wrong here, seems to have survived the current injury bug. Even the women's title fight is interesting with the polish fighter's name no one can pronounce.

Can't wait for Cejudo's flyweight debut where everyone needs to pray he makes the weight, Nelson vs Overeem is just fascinating as fuck but either Nelson is getting battered or Overeem is gassing, Brown vs Hendricks is fucking awesome, and Pettis is Pettis.

Just immense.

• Paid Members

So, with all the major shit kicking off early this year this seems to have fallen into obscurity almost. The event is this weekend and we are only on page 2.

This for is the best main card of the year so far and I'm probably wrong here, seems to have survived the current injury bug. Even the women's title fight is interesting with the polish fighter's name no one can pronounce.

Can't wait for Cejudo's flyweight debut where everyone needs to pray he makes the weight, Nelson vs Overeem is just fascinating as fuck but either Nelson is getting battered or Overeem is gassing, Brown vs Hendricks is fucking awesome, and Pettis is Pettis.

Just immense.

It was only yesterday I realised this was on this week. I thought, given the quality of the card, they would be spacing this stuff out. 2015 is a great year for us lot (so far).

It's a card with zero filler, which is remarkable. Sadly, it doesn't seem to have the buzz some cards have received in recent months, but I suppose that's somewhat down to being overshadowed by Rousey being Rousey.

Genuinely has the makings of an all-time great card under Zuffa. It's stacked with so many beasts.

• Paid Members

All that fucking stupid Rousey vs. Men thing was everywhere.

I know but Rousey vs Cyborg is a dream fight.

:p

I fucking love this card but even I forgot it was this week. With work and other stuff going on at the minute, one week is just blending into the next, the months seem to be flying by. This show has come around quick. Doesn't seem five minutes since fights like Pettis vs Dos Anjos and Overeem vs Nelson were announced. Now they're here.

It's a quality card though. It's been lost in the shuffle because so far this year all the PPVs have had either a huge main event (Jones-Cormier, Silva-Diaz) or a big star headlining (Jones, Silva, Rousey). Pettis is just as awesome as those names but he's not quite the star they are just yet, plus hardly anyone is giving Dos Anjos a shot.

All it's lacking is that one huge fight but as a whole card, yeah it's definitely the strongest top to bottom so far this year for me. What the card lacks slightly in huge names, it more than makes up for in depth. I can't wait for pretty much all of it for one reason or another.

- Pettis is always must-see. And I'm happy to see Dos Anjos get this opportunity. Despite me thinking he's going to lose.

- The women's fight is interesting for the contrast in styles. And the fact that Esparza is a twat and JJ seems cool. Also, the winner of this is probably fighting Joanne Calderwood in Scotland (providing Calderwood wins her fight on the Poland card next month). So that adds another layer of interest for me.

- Overeem vs Nelson is either going to be a quick KO either way or both of them breathing through their ringpieces after three minutes and having an ugly as fuck fight. I think someone's getting decked though.

- Hendricks vs Brown, despite me really not fancying Brown's chances, could well steal the show.

And the rest of the card has plenty to look forward to. Cejudo's getting a tough test both in Cariaso and the scales. Pearson vs Stout is a cracking fight.

It's a really, really solid card.

Pettis's fight with Melendez reminded me a lot of Anderson's fight with Hendo. After a tough first round, Pettis capitalized on a slight opening to stun Melendez, and sink in a submission.

Pettis just has the aura about him at the moment. You just feel that if he is given a sniff in the striking department, he will end the fight in an instant. Only Anderson in his pomp, and to a lesser extent Cro Cop (2004-2006 version), have evoked that feeling. Rousey has it, but more so in the grappling department.

A lot of fighters have an aura where they seem unbeatable, but very few give you the feeling that they will end the fight after one favourable striking exchange.

Looking forward to this on Saturday!

• Paid Members

Yeh i think Pettis is on that cusp of mega-stardom, the guy looks the complete package, a few more standout performances and he's there...and its great to see him staying fit.

• Paid Members

Yeah, the scary thing with Pettis is he's lethal on the feet and the ground. I mean, look back at how many submissions Bendo escaped against Cerrone in their first fight. Pettis tapped him in a round. Melendez has had a long career and I don't recall anyone coming close to submitting him, yet Pettis tapped him.

And in both cases it was his striking that set up the grappling attacks. His striking compliments his grappling so well. It's not like he's just good at both separately, he blends them together seamlessly. In that way, he's very Anderson Silva-like. He's beating the absolute best guys in the toughest division in the sport, and he's beating them in ways no-one else can beat them.

This highlight is pretty badass;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=QoMKixD4Oqw

Archived