UFC 185: Pettis vs Dos Anjos

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeh i think Pettis is on that cusp of mega-stardom, the guy looks the complete package, a few more standout performances and he's there...and its great to see him staying fit.

Not when he loses via decision this weekend he won't  :p

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Apparently Hendricks is in the best shape of his life. Be interesting to see how a 100% Dolcefied Hendricks pushes the pace. Easing off cost him the GSP and Lawler fight, good to see he knows this and is looking to put an end to it.

As much as it pains me to say it, if Hendricks does come in at 100%, he beats everyone in the division.

• Paid Members

One thing with Pettis that I think he needs is a true rival. Someone to truly test him.

I still think Khabib Nurmagomedov might be that man.

But we'll see how he looks after the layoff. That injury couldn't have come at a worse time for Khabib. I'd still probably favour Pettis but I can see Khabib giving him some grief. Aside from that, I think Pettis sweeps the current division without too much hassle. IF he can stay healthy and keep up this momentum and form.

Pettis is just incredible. 155 is the deepest division in the sport (although 170 isn't that far behind). It's going to be the hardest division to dominate or clean out. But the fact that we're struggling to think of anyone who can stop him in such a talent rich weight class says everything about how good Pettis is.

I love Dos Anjos though. I love that he's got himself in this position through sheer hard work. He's not someone the UFC would've been itching to give a title shot to. But he's gave them no choice by soundly thrashing Cerrone, Bendo and Diaz. I've been saying he was underrated and the darkhorse at lightweight on here for years, but even I didn't expect him to get to this point. It'll be bittersweet for me whatever the result of this fight, to be honest.

• Paid Members

Over at Bet365:

RDA is at 7/2 to win (which seems a bit long but pretty fair)

Cariaso is 4/1 to win (what the hell ... his last fight was for the title!)

Jedrzejczyk is 13/10 (again, seems a bit long to me).

A triple on those 3 therefore gets you 50/1! Got to be worth a quid.

• Paid Members

Pettis is just incredible. 155 is the deepest division in the sport (although 170 isn't that far behind). It's going to be the hardest division to dominate or clean out. But the fact that we're struggling to think of anyone who can stop him in such a talent rich weight class says everything about how good Pettis is.

His last fight showed why it's going to take a special performance to beat him. One single lapse in concentration or a glimmer of an opening and you're done. People keep saying the Melendez game plan is the correct way to beat Pettis, but I'm not sure there is a man alive that can keep up that sort of pace/concentration for 5 rounds against a 100% Pettis.

It's incredible how many weapons the man has and how quickly he can utilize them on World class opponents.

• Paid Members
I love Dos Anjos though. I love that he's got himself in this position through sheer hard work. He's not someone the UFC would've been itching to give a title shot to. But he's gave them no choice by soundly thrashing Cerrone, Bendo and Diaz. I've been saying he was underrated and the darkhorse at lightweight on here for years, but even I didn't expect him to get to this point. It'll be bittersweet for me whatever the result of this fight, to be honest.

I dunno. He beat Cerrone on a 29/28 decision. I'd need to watch the fight again but from memory I don't remember it being a sound thrashing.

He did beat Bendo, yeah. But Bendo was looking a bit off the pace following his title loss, at the time. (I know he'd won two between RDA and the title loss though).

Then he beat Nate Diaz but only by decision and Diaz hadn't fought in over a year.

Is it more a case of he's really the only option for Pettis?

Looking at the rankings:

1. Pettis

2. RDA

3. Nurmagomedov - Was injured

4. Cerrone - Already beat him

5. Melendez - Already beat him

6. Henderson - Already beat him, possibly moving weight class

7. Johnson - Only 1 win in the last year

8. Thomson - Injured, coming off two losses

I think Pettis blows him away.

• Paid Members

I dunno. He beat Cerrone on a 29/28 decision. I'd need to watch the fight again but from memory I don't remember it being a sound thrashing.

Cerrone beat Alvarez 29/28. But Alvarez was still pretty fucked and could barely stand by the end. Like Dos Anjos vs Cerrone, it was a competitive fight, but who the winner was wasn't in any doubt when the final buzzer went. 'Thrashing' might be a bit strong but Dos Anjos certainly beat Cerrone handily. Cowboy had one decent round, the rest was all Dos Anjos. He even dropped Cerrone in the striking, which not many would've called going in.

He did beat Bendo, yeah. But Bendo was looking a bit off the pace following his title loss, at the time. (I know he'd won two between RDA and the title loss though).

I don't think he'd looked particularly off form at that time. He'd lost to Pettis, no shame in that. Then he squeaked by Thomson. I had Thomson winning that but it was tight. Then he steamrolled Khabilov. Aside from the Pettis loss, he'd looked like the same old Bendo before the Dos Anjos fight. He's had those controversial decisions throughout his entire UFC run. Only two men have blasted through Bendo, and they're fighting each other on Saturday.

Then he beat Nate Diaz but only by decision and Diaz hadn't fought in over a year.

Only by decision? He fucking murdered Nate's legs with kicks, got the better of the standup, controlled all the grappling exchanges. He fucking battered Nate. It was about as one-sided a decision as you'll see. And there were points I thought the fight was going to end on a leg kick TKO.

Usually I'd agree with the 'he'd been out a year' thing but the Diaz's are notorious for their year-round training. I don't think the layoffs are as much an issue for the Diaz's as most fighters because of that. They practically live in the gym as far as I can tell. If they're not booked they're helping a Melendez/Shields/Schilling in camp.

Basically, you raise some valid points but you can nitpick and poke holes in anyone's record if you look hard enough. MMA is that chaotic a sport there's always a bunch of variables you can use to tailor an argument for or against someone's record. But to hold wins, and look as impressive as he did, over three of the top guys in the deepest division in MMA - that's too much to be just down to luck or catching guys at the right time.

All that said...

I think Pettis blows him away.

Probably.

But that's a testament to how good Pettis is, not a knock on Dos Anjos. He's absolutely earned the shot.

• Paid Members

MMA math doesn't apply, simple as.

...but like wand. says Dos Anjos earned his shot and im glad he's getting it, he's one of the most deserving title challengers in some time.

• Paid Members

Interviews from the open work out via mmafighting.com are up. Here's Hendricks talking about his weight cut whilst also disgustingly spitting chewing tobacco into a plastic bottle. I may be alone in thinking this, but to me that's a fucking disgusting thing to do whilst being interviewed by the media. Regarding his weight cut, he may as well be saying "i was a flat slob before as I ate shit between fights".

There really is something unlikeable about him.

• Paid Members

Agreed. He's a great fighter, but there is something satisfying about seeing him get beat up. I went off him during the GSP build up and he's sort of continued to act like a bit of a knob since. Part of the reason the Lawler victory was so great was because it was against Hendricks.

• Paid Members

Wand / Ebb: Fair points fellas. I'm on board and not trying to say he doesn't deserve it. I guess I was just trying to call out the fact that there isn't really another option at the moment. If there were other options, would he be one more win away from the shot?

Here's Hendricks talking about his weight cut whilst also disgustingly spitting chewing tobacco into a plastic bottle. I may be alone in thinking this, but to me that's a fucking disgusting thing to do whilst being interviewed by the media.

Yeah, that bloody grim the way he does that. He does it throughout post fight press conferences too. Worse when the bottle he's doing it into is clear ...

He also punctuates every other sentence with "you know what I mean". Ever noticed that? You won't be able to not notice it now ... :p

Archived