Best Royal Rumble PPV Ever?

Liam O'Rourke

So for this week's podcast, inspired by a thread I saw at the Pro Wrestling Only board, we're doing a retrospective of Royal Rumble Pay-Per-Views by asking you - which Rumble PPV do you feel was best, and why? The key is rating it based on the show as a whole, as I assume that 92 is very much a consensus if we're grading by Rumble match alone.

So whaddya think takes the prize for best Rumble PPV overall for you, and why? As always we'll be reading the best feedback on the show and crediting you accordingly, and am interested to see how much variance there is on this...

As an extension, if you'd also like to suggest a "Worst Rumble PPV ever, please do, explaining why.

UPDATE - The podcast is now up, and can be found in my sig, and many of your replies below we're read on the show.

• Paid Members

2001 for me by far. It has everything. Twists, great suprise entrants, multiple strong stories going in and throughout the match, the two biggest stars of all time facing off and Kane putting in the best performance of his entire career.

• Paid Members

I'm probably clouded by nostalgia, but for me 1990 is easily the best. A super roster, a dynamic Rumble match including the first major showdown between Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior. It has a surprisingly cracking undercard for its time, including a really good match between 'Rugged' Ronnie Garvin & Greg 'the Hammer' Valentine. Under-appreciated.  

I'm probably clouded by nostalgia, but for me 1990 is easily the best. A super roster, a dynamic Rumble match including the first major showdown between Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior. It has a surprisingly cracking undercard for its time, including a really good match between 'Rugged' Ronnie Garvin & Greg 'the Hammer' Valentine. Under-appreciated.  

Totally agree with 1990. Might have something to do with being one of the first events I actually saw, but I reckon top to toe it is just a tremendous PPV. Even love the opener despite the Bushwhackers being in it. Just shows how good the Rougeaus were to carry those two buffoons to an entertaining contest.

Still watch it on DVD from time to time.

• Paid Members

An opinion cannot be wrong by it's very nature but when you answer this question with anything other than 1992 you completely disprove that. The Rumble match itself is way above and every other one. It's got a unique stipulation, it has brilliant commentary, it's full of ex-World Champions, it has the right amount of eliminations so that the ring doesn't get too full and winds down in the middle to allow it to tell stories properly and kick into gear at the end. The Flair/Hogan, Flair/Piper, Hogan/Taker, Jake/Savage, Hogan/Sid stories all beautifully intertwine in the match. Plus it has the single greatest one man performance perhaps in history. It's utterly perfect.

The rest of the PPV is hit and miss. Very good opener, great moment when Roddy wins the title and then one and a half stinkers. They can't drag it down though. The rest is too good.

2000 is the next best. The set is great, the tables match is brilliant, Tazz's debut was epic and the title match is fabulous. It also has a pretty good Rumble with some great spots that is only spoilt by the winner being utterly predictable and the only other contender, The Big Show, being a fat pile of shit.

Aside from 1992  1991 always gets lost in the mix, which is a shame The Rockers vs Orient Express is epic and the ongoing feud with Macho Man/Sherri and Warrior throughout the show was aces. You also then have Sgt Slaughter Bumping around like a loon, Virgil's split from the Million Dollar Man. Greg Valentine and Rick Martel putting on decent shifts in the Rumble.  Nice show, always overlooked because of 90 and 92

The swimsuit competition where Miss Kitty got her kittens out (i was 14 at the time, what an epic moment it was...) 

It was Mae Young who got her prosthetic saggers out in 2000, not Miss Kitty.

Edit: More minor nitpicking. WWE always mention that The Rock won in 2000, but in the weeks leading up to No Way Out, even though Rock was declared the winner, didn't they prove with photographic and video evidence that both of Rocks feet hit before Big Show did? It's all for nothing regardless as Big Show was in the Mania main event that year anyway, but they never officially reversed the decision.

1992 is absolutely the best. I'm sure eventually too, that every man in that match will be in the Hall of Fame and I'm sure that this is the only rumble that this will ever be possible.

The obvious aside, the 2002 rumble match is up there. The returns of Goldust, Godfather, Val Venis and of course Mr Perfect are fantastic. Perfect hitting the Perfectplex on Angle got a pop most of today's current roster could only dream of.

Undertaker vs Hardys early in the match was tremendous followed by Maven eliminating Taker and getting absolutely decimated as a result.

Triple H vs Stone cold standoff that actually got a reaction (I'm looking at you Cena/Orton).

Couldn't give a toss about the rest of the card, but the Rumble March itself if fantastic and can be watched back infinitely and each and every time that I do I will pop as soon as Perfects music hits.

Aside from 1992  1991 always gets lost in the mix, which is a shame The Rockers vs Orient Express is epic and the ongoing feud with Macho Man/Sherri and Warrior throughout the show was aces. You also then have Sgt Slaughter Bumping around like a loon, Virgil's split from the Million Dollar Man. Greg Valentine and Rick Martel putting on decent shifts in the Rumble.  Nice show, always overlooked because of 90 and 92

Do not forget Bossman vs Barbarian, high impact heavyweight action at it's best. A truly fantastic show and entertaining rumble match

• Paid Members

Aside from 1992  1991 always gets lost in the mix, which is a shame

1991 is the winner for me. It is one of my favourite PPVs of all time. The 1992 Royal Rumble is the best match of all time Rumble but the PPV is let down by a terrible Bushwhackers/Beverly Brothers match and post-match shenanigans that I believe is still going on, and in general an undercard that doesn't have the "zing" of 1991.

The Rockers/Orients match is the best opening match I've ever seen due to its pace, state-of-the-art technique and sheer adrenaline. The segment with Warrior and Sherri is effective and relevant to later events. Boss Man vs Barbarian is a really exhilarating match with a few moments that put it a notch above what you might expect from the pair of them. The WWF title match is highly dramatic and sets up a supervillain for an inevitable confrontation with the Hulkster. The Rhodes v DiBiase & Virgil match sets up superbly one of the most enjoyable and emotionally charged face turns I can ever recall. Finally the Rumble itself is packed with talented wrestlers and colourful characters, has some great moments and stories running through it and above all else sets up the perfect feelgood ending and precisely the result everyone wanted - all before an utterly rabid crowd.

I often put the tape on just to watch Rockers/Orients just for some wrestling to make me smile, and end up watching the whole show. I don't think there is another Rumble PPV, ever, that I would just stick on and watch in its entirety without skipping anything. That makes it the winner for me.

Archived