NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members

There are a couple of lads in his group he will be permitted to beat. Admittedly the main feature of the New Japan/Noah deal thus far has been "send Suzuki-gun to Noah to make it better" (which for me has worked a treat) but I wouldn't put it past them to allow Nakajima to upset Shibata or Omega so they can do a rematch in September where the regular gets their win back.

2016 Super J-Cup participants. Matches take place on 20/7 & 21/8.

Jushin Thunder Liger, KUSHIDA, Will Ospreay, BUSHI, Ryusuke Taguchi, Matt Sydal, Taiji Ishimori, Taichi, Kenou, Daisuke Harada, Titan, Yoshinobu Kanemaru, Yuma Aoyagi, Eita, Kaji Tomato, Gurukun Mask.

Not sure whether this is just a 2-day affair or perhaps there are more dates to be added. Looking at the listings below, I'm thinking more dates, otherwise it doesn't seem to make sense - no quarter finals.

NJPW Produce "SUPER J-CUP 2016", 20.07.2016
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: Matt Sydal vs. Kaji Tomato
2. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: Gurukun Mask vs Kenou
3. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: Yuma Aoyagi vs Taichi
4. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: Jushin Thunder Liger vs Eita
5. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: Titan vs Will Ospreay
6. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: BUSHI vs Yoshinobu Kanemaru
7. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: Ryusuke Taguchi vs Daisuke Harada
8. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: KUSHIDA vs Taiji Ishimori

NJPW Produce "SUPER J-CUP 2016", 21.08.2016
Tokyo Ariake Colosseum

2. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 2: Jushin Thunder Liger/Eita vs. Yuma Aoyagi/Taichi
3. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 2: KUSHIDA/Taiji Ishimori vs. Gurukun Mask/Kenou
4. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 2: Ryusuke Taguchi/Daisuke Harada vs. BUSHI/Yoshinobu Kanemaru
5. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 2: Will Ospreay/Titan vs. Matt Sydal/Kaji Tomato
6. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Semi Final:
7. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Semi Final:
8. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Final:

Neither am I sure why 21/8 starts with 'match 2'. We'll assume this is provisional (?)

Edited by KingofSports

Can you sign up and then cancel straight away like netflix, or will that mean you can't then watch it for the rest of the month that you've paid for? Thinking of signing up for one month only from tomorrow till the end of the G1, but don't want to get charged another month if I forget to cancel. 

Saw night 1 of G1 Climax. Missed the undercard but the actual tournament has some top quality matches. Tenzan vs Ishii is brilliant, a real double hard bastard match. Okada vs Marufuji  is really good as the Chaos vs Noah main event. I felt Sanada vs Tanahashi was fantastic, a match I was looking forward to when the blocks were announced and it did not disappoint. After a short rest you could see Tanahashi is still high quality and also you could see Sanada will be a main eventer at some point. 

Sadly the other 2 tournament matches were not as good, Fale vs Goto was boring. I only watched Makabe vs Tonga as so many bad reviews were about that I just had to see it. It isn't horrible but just feels like a set of moves. The crowd don't care about Tonga and I am not sure we will see him after this tournament. His face paint and his trousers were very bright and he was shouting whoo and doing loads of Stinger Splashes. He came across as if he should of been the good guy but you knew he wasn't. I really liked him last year in 6 man matches but outside of them this year he has been shit. Such a disappointment. 

Block A looks fantastic with all matches with Marufuji, Okada, SANADA and Tanahashi against each other being a must see for me. Tenzan looked like he was trying and hope he carries it out throughout the whole tour. You know Ishii matches usually deliver at good at the very worst. Goto should have better matches with others. It seems really like it is the Bullet Club really ruining this group. 

All them head butts in Tenzan/Ishii made me wince, just no need for it, I'd say of all the moves around at present the double head butt spot where both guys go for it and have forward momentum makes me cringe the most.

I like the way they are building Tanahashi in this, looks like he will be fighting an uphill battle coming off the injury, great match that was, meant a lot for Sanada and at the same time planted a seed for a story they can take right through the tournament - can Tanahashi get back to where he was.

Day 1 seemed to be put NOAH over day. That'll change, or maybe not if NJPW have ownership / a considerable stake in that Company.

SANADA can still die for me, the little shit. I'm behind in my viewing, but recently saw him get owned by Sekimoto in the BJW Strong Tournie, which is exactly the way it should be.

• Paid Members

Dumb predictions time.

Naito will win. In New Japan, for me, it's always the second title reign that defines you, not the first, and Naito is earning himself that second run. He's drawing and selling a fuckton of t-shirts.

Tana v Okada is the final match on the first night in Sumo Hall. For me, that spells out that either the winner of that match is winning the group or they go broadway allowing someone else to sneak in. Which is probably fucking safe predicting given that a Marufuji or Sanada win would be a massive curveball. Final match in B Block is Naito v Omega, meaning either Naito wins to come top or loses to come 2nd. It's the former, it really is.

To enable those last two matches to have the gravity, we'll get "closing day upsets" which have been as predictable as opening day upsets in recent years. Tana, Okada, Sanada and Marufuji will likely all go into finals day with a chance of topping the group, but on the night Goto will beat Marufuji and Tenzan will get a feelgood win over Sanada, allowing the two of them to decide Naito's opponent. Over on the other side, EVIL will beat Shibata and possibly Elgin over Nakajima if he's in with a shout.

Who does Naito fight though? Possibility would be Naito over Okada with Okada retaining until Wrestle Kingdom XI, although I'm not sure about that. Not so much because it gives a lengthy Okada reign filled with predictable successful defences, but because the "champ beaten in the final" trope is something they've largely abandoned and definitely has not been visited since they switched from the title shot being in September to being at Wrestle Kingdom. I entertained the thought of Tana unseating Okada in the interim so Naito gets the rub of taking the title potentially from Tana at the Dome, but I don't think they want to do Okada v Tana for the belt any time soon. So.... Naito v Tana final? Except, that's been done. Fair enough, with a completely different dynamic but.... I dunno.

Theoretically they could throw a curveball. Marufuji could make the final and they could do the old-fashioned "use an outsider to put your guy over big" as Akiyama did for Tenzan back in the day, but I can't see it. Naito wins beating Tana or Naito. I'm going.... Tanahashi.