NJPW World

Sphinx

• 1 month later...

Provisional Card: WrestleKingdom X, 4.1.16

New Japan Rumble.
[iWGP Jr. Tag-Titles]: Kyle O'Reilly / Bobby Fish © v Ricochet / Matt Sydal v Rocky Romero / Baretta v The Young Bucks
Bad Luck Fale / Yujiro Takahashi / Tama Tonga v Toru Yano / ? / ?
[ROH Title / Special Singles Match]: Jay Lethal © v Michael Elgin
[iWGP Jr. Title]: Kenny Omega © v KUSHIDA
[iWGP Tag-Titles]: Karl Anderson / Doc Gallows © v Togi Makabe / Tomoaki Honma
Hirooki Goto v Tetsuya Naito
[NEVER Openweight Title]: Tomohiro Ishii © v Katsuyori Shibata
[iWGP I.C Title]: Shinsuke Nakamura © v AJ Styles
[iWGP Heavyweight Title]: Kazuchika Okada © v Hiroshi Tanahashi

Lethal/Elgin will be a Title match, unless the former loses his belt prior to WK10, in which case it'll be a 'special singles match'. At least I think that's the case.

Edited by KingofSports

• Paid Members
Lethal/Elgin will be a Title match, unless the former loses his belt prior to WK10, in which case it'll be a 'special singles match'. At least I think that's the case.

Yes. Lethal defends the title against Styles (assuming his back's up to it) at Final Battle, but I can't image New Japan's AJ Styles will be winning the ROH title, for some reason.

The card is stacked, there's almost nothing on there that's missable filler, even the Yano match has some intrigue to it. I've got a strange feeling there will be a callback to last year and Yano will draft in a couple of Noah lads.

When Sydal & Ricochet were inserted into the junior tag tournament, I assumed they'd win for the sake of getting fresh blood into a division that badly needed it, but I'm dismayed that they're being thrown in there with reDRagon, the Bucks and Vice all at once, straight away, for the same fun but instantly forgettable car crash that's been going on forever, so their freshness is going to be extinguished pretty damn soon. New Japan in general is great, but that division is being booked terribly.

KUSHIDA has to win, doesn't he? They fucked him so badly, he HAS to win here. I sincerely hope Makabe & Honma win too, I'd enjoy that almost as much as I enjoyed Super Best Friends demolishing Gallows & Anderson last year.

Goto v Naito is a bit of a worry for me to be honest, because I worry that a loss for either gives them a "Where do you go from here?" situation. Goto's a lost cause at this point for the big belt, probably, so Naito may as well win, his heel character gives him a chance of cracking the ceiling at last.

Ishii v Shibata will be great (again) and Styles vs Nakamura is a pay off to a wet dream I'm been having for nearly three years, assuming AJ's back holds up. I have no real clue who wins either, and it doesn't matter either way, I'm sure I'll enjoy both matches. Although honestly I'll cheer for AJ because he's my favourite and Shibata because he's The Sex.

Tana v Okada, while I'm looking forward to watching it, might not actually hold as much intrigue for me as perhaps it should, because Jesus wept, the result is obvious. Okada HAS TO fucking beat him this time. He simply MUST.

Cant wait. on one hand, Xmas and New Years coming up but look on the bright side, not long before WK10!

Super looking forward to this. Not that fussed about the ROH match, though I'm a fan of the company. in ROH world I dont buy Elgin as a challenger, in New Japan world I wanna just see him fight guys like Ishii and Honma and get very over. Plus it does kind of spoil the AJ match if injury doesn't.

Any ideas on who Yano's partners might be? Dont often see much mystery like that before a New Japan show, but maybe it's really obvious and I just haven't been watching the tag leagues/build ups/whatever

Couple I'm torn on, absolutely want KUSHIDA to be a big deal, especially now with Ibushi out but Omega is so fucking entertaining, he's fantastic. Love to see him and Machine Gun in NXT

My guess is they probs wouldve done a tag match with Naito & EVIL Watanabe v Goto & Shibata. but Shibata's been put where Ibushi would probably have gone in the NEVER spot. Either way Naito should go over, he is wonderful to watch as a heel, and have it a dirty win with EVIL assistance sure as I do expect Goto to be a bit nowhere in the near future regardless of what happens, although saying that they'll probs just stick the IC belt on him again

Ishii/Shibata and AJ/Shinsuke are just absolutely droolworthy prospects. Nuff said.

I'd laugh so much if Tana somehow won again, new Streak? that contains only 2 people? but yeah... I mean come on. Should be great still but yeah lacking the suspense of their previous outings.

Hopefully they start moving pieces around now and the main event scene can be a bit broadened out, as well as doing what they can with every other belt. Though NEVER belt often steals the show it could do with some new faces. IC belt needs to move on from Shinsuke at some point surely. Tag belts begging to be merged yesterday, you already do plenty of tag matches New Japan, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by sj5522

Naofumi Yamamoto could be due a return(?). Not sure of his current status, buit he was billed as 'Bullet Club hunter', so that'd tie-in. Saku's not on the card, but I don't think it'll be him, though he has tagged with Yano recently. EVIL doesn't have a match either, but there's no logical reason for him to feature. Not likely to be a classic whoever's involved. Mao'll probably be the highlight of that one. That's Yujiro's valet.

• Paid Members

2015 Tokyo Sports Awards: Technique Award: Tomoaki Honma

Fucking hell. Other than that I'm speechless.

Fans like what they like. Just voting for your favourite for ANYTHING regardless of what it is seems very Japanese to me. He'd probably have won sexiest female too if up for it.

• Paid Members

Tokyo Sports awards are voted on by magazine writers. It's not fixed as such, but there's obviously an understanding among the voters that the awards are distributed across different promotions, which sometimes necessitates some questionable individual winners.

They also have an unusual voting system in that everyone casts a ballot, but you only win if you get a majority of votes rather than just getting the most. If nobody gets a majority there's a fresh vote and that continues until somebody gets a majority. Normally in the second round people switch to voting for one of the top-two vote getters from the first round, but if you've got a deadlock or some obstinate voters, you can wind up with a weird result.

In the same awards, Atsushi Onita and Chigusa Nagoya got best tag team, which is beyond comical.