This is the worst match, I've ever been in...

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

"OH MY GOD! A HURRICANRANA!!! This is your chance, KID! You're inches away! EIGHT MORE RUNGS TO GO!!!!"

Said it all before but I hate that ladder match so much. JR at his worst, trying to scream drama that wasn't there into the match. Don't think I've ever seen a more obvious case of someone deliberately slowing themselves down so their opponent can keep up-than Hardy in that match.

I need more of a think to come up with his very worst match. There's a shitload to think of just from the early 2000s alone.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Undertaker vs Hogan 2002 Judgement Day was just the absolute pits for me. It just didn't seem like it ever wanted to end. The entire bout just was so slow and boring with the screwed up finish too.

It was a match that just didn't sit right for how Hogan had fought since returning, way past his best and with his body beginning to break down. Taker as previously mentioned wasn't having the best year match wise either.

Taker Vs Hogan from Judgement Day 2002 was pretty dire too. Made both blokes look old. Again, not one I've watched back but I seem to recall numerous run ins in that one too.

Edit: ^^^^beat me to it^^^^

Other than the SummerSlam 98 match (which was good but not great) I was always disappointed by Taker's matches with Steve Austin. They had some which were ok, but some were awful. I think the buried alive match from '99 was the worst but I remember really not enjoying the triple threat they had with Kane at Breakdown in 1998 as well.

I thought Undertaker's match with Ken Shamrock at a PPV in 1999 was absolutely awful. Shame really. It went on forever too.

Was that Backlash '99? Always loved the finish to that match, Tombstone reversed by Shamrock into another Tombstone position then Taker finally reversing it again and hitting it for the win, I know he did that spot with Austin a couple of years earlier but thought they did it a lot more fluidly

Anyway, my pick is a month after that match, Over The Edge '99 against Austin, can't blame either bloke as obviously they wouldn't have cared about match quality after what had happened but they should have just rattled through a quick match rather than having the dullest brawl ever with a load of shite run ins, again neither of them can be blamed for it but it was probably the worst Undertaker match I've ever seen

I immediately go to HHH at KOTR 2002 for this one, but as that's been said already, I'll take the absolutely stinking match he had with Bret Hart at the 1996 Royal Rumble. An unapologetically boring match, one which I think hasn't long finished actually. The finisher was a bigger "fuck you" than the one Nash gave with his middle finger too. Both of them ought to be ashamed of assembling that dull piece of shit.

He had his business-exposingly bad moments in 2001 when he was ploughing through the Alliance too, but much of that was on theme with half the TV feuds of the time, so it technically played into angles I suppose.

Somebody's already alluded to this, but I've never truly been a big an Undertaker fan until about 2008, mainly because as a kid his style bored me, as a whingy teen HE WONT PUT OVER THE YOUNG GUYS and by the time I really started to like him, he would only wrestle a few times a year.

Backlash 2002 seemed to go forever, he'd wrestled Austin 1000 times, and Steve wasn't very motivated at the time. Throw in a dodgy finish and it was a chore to watch.

Wouldn't be the worst, I assume those early/mid 90s monster matches would be worse, but I haven't seen too many. Giant Gonzales was probably the most shit of what I've seen.

• Paid Members
Undertaker vs Hogan 2002 Judgement Day was just the absolute pits for me.

Taker Vs Hogan from Judgement Day 2002 was pretty dire too. Made both blokes look old.

This could have been my winner too. I was at the peak of my smarky "go away old men" stage and even though I loved the nostalgia element of Hogan coming back, him being champion again was ridiculous to me, and Undertaker was on a solid run of really shit matches that convinced me he was running out of steam. I went into that match with low expectations, and it still managed to fail to live up to them.

My actual winner though is the Flair match from WrestleMania XVIII. It's boring in places and a mess in other places, the result was a foregone conclusion and the finish is horrible. I've genuinely come to hate it because I've encountered people that think it was a great match, and it fries my brain. All that match had to write home about was Double A.

This could have been my winner too. I was at the peak of my smarky "go away old men" stage and even though I loved the nostalgia element of Hogan coming back, him being champion again was ridiculous to me, and Undertaker was on a solid run of really shit matches that convinced me he was running out of steam. I went into that match with low expectations, and it still managed to fail to live up to them.

My actual winner though is the Flair match from WrestleMania XVIII. It's boring in places and a mess in other places, the result was a foregone conclusion and the finish is horrible. I've genuinely come to hate it because I've encountered people that think it was a great match, and it fries my brain. All that match had to write home about was Double A.

The Tombstone making a return after a lengthy absence was good too. I seem to remember really enjoying the match, but I've only watched it the once.

Sorry, air_raid, but I remember liking that match too.

The worst one that immediately springs to mind is versus Big Show and A-Train at WM19. It was supposed to be a tag match with Nathan Jones as his partner, but supposedly Jones was so bad that Taker refused to go out there with him and it became a handicap match at very late notice. Two big, slow guys beating up another big, slow guy in match that had clearly had no planning, and then a pisspoor Jones run-in that killed his career.

• Paid Members
The Tombstone making a return after a lengthy absence was good too.

You and I have got different ideas on what "lengthy" is. He'd done it to Shane McMahon as recently as Survivor Series, off the top of my head.

• Paid Members

You and I have got different ideas on what "lengthy" is. He'd done it to Shane McMahon as recently as Survivor Series, off the top of my head.

In WWE world, that's ages.

In WWE world, that's ages.

It was a move that was over but just not used much anymore and added to the match. I presume he would have used the Last Ride if he hadn't have been in there with Flair.

In regards to the A-Train/Bigshow match at WM19, I don't personally think it deserves as much of the bad press that it receives. Not a 5* match in any regards, but the A-Train Tombstone at the end was a great visual and sometimes that one little thing can alter your perception of a match completely.

Archived