This is the worst match, I've ever been in...

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
I thought his matches with Kama where particular dull. Nothing in those matches grabbed me. But then taker came off a string of shit matches w Yokozuna, Gonzales, Bundy and others. In fact looking at it now it's shocking how the character lasted and became the icon it did.

There you go.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Taker/Khali was pretty good as far as Khali matches go and it was pretty cool to see Taker putting someone over like that. The second match was pretty unique though in that it seemed they made a conscious call to stop Khali working on live TV, I don't know if that was ever confirmed though...

I thought his matches with Kama where particular dull. Nothing in those matches grabbed me.

I thought the SummerSlam 95 match was actually pretty good given the standard of early 90s Taker.

The Bret Hart match from the 95 Rumble is a good call. It's amazing how they had matches that were so much better a couple of years later.

I thought his matches with Kama where particular dull. Nothing in those matches grabbed me.

I thought the SummerSlam 95 match was actually pretty good given the standard of early 90s Taker.

The Bret Hart match from the 95 Rumble is a good call. It's amazing how they had matches that were so much better a couple of years later.

The Rumble match was actually 96, which I'm not noting for pedantry but actually just to say they had a terrific match just weeks later on an episode of Raw. It's such a staggeringly bad affair, the Rumble one. As an enormous Bret fan at the time I was in massive denial that he could be such a boring bastard sometimes, about 10 minutes after Shawn had lit up the PPV as usual. Sometimes the booking could be blamed for positioning those two the way it did in the run-up to Mania, but not on that night.

The Rumble match was actually 96

Of course - it was Hart vs Diesel at Rumble 95, which was pretty good considering.

• Paid Members
Of course - it was Hart vs Diesel at Rumble 95, which was pretty good considering.

Considering what, exactly? They'd had a great match at King of the Ring, it was a virtual certainty that the rematch would be as good or better.

Considering what, exactly? They'd had a great match at King of the Ring, it was a virtual certainty that the rematch would be as good or better.

The dynamic at KotR was different though. Hart was face and diesel was heel. At the Rumble, both were face which I would say makes it harder to get heat and keep it exciting. I think this was partly the problem Hart and Taker had the following year.

Diesel and Taker had similar deliberate styles at the time. Considering how poor the Taker match turned out to be, I would say the Diesel match (or both matches) was/were surprisingly good.

Speaking of Rumble '95, Taker/IRS wouldn't be out of place on here either. Irwin in singles didn't half bore the tits off you. In fact, did he even have one single match that was halfway decent? I can barely think of any. Even matches v the hitman, Razor, Bulldog and Savage were insomnia cures. And the Kid one at Sumerslam was nothing either. Shame too as I quite liked his talking, as "can't go wrong" as it was.

Actually, despite that crap, and the less than star studded rumble match itself (which at least was short), the other matches compensate and still make this a fun event imo.

Archived