F1 2014 season

windoesnot

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29499545

Bianchi is out of surgery and is now in intensive care and breathing without any apparatus which is a positive sign. I haven't seen the incident but I can envisage what has occurred, it is miraculous that Bianchi hasn't broke his neck. Questions will be asked why the crane was allowed to be on track-side in the first place. Surely there should have been space on the perimeter of the tyre wall for it to reach over and move Sutil's car. Hopefully Bianchi can make a full recovery, it must have been a horrible sensation hurtling towards the crane without the power to move out of the way.    

Bianchi is on a respirator at the moment and not breathing for himself.

From what has been reported at Sky:

A few updates from Sky Sports News now and their F1 correspondent Craig Slater, who says that unfortunately, Bianchi is not yet breathing unaided.

"We're not getting any official updates from the hospital but I understand that Jules is in a very critical condition, still fighting for his life, and I can clear up a couple of pieces of misinformation which have been picked up by the French media and a couple of outlets in the UK," he said.

“I can confirm that Jules is not, unfortunately, breathing unaided. My understanding is that he is still relying on a respirator at this point to be able to breathe.

"I can also confirm that he has not undergone a second surgical procedure. My understanding is that he went through one medical procedure at about 11pm Japanese time and he has been intensive care since then."

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read that he was initially conscious after the accident in the car, which at least means he wasn't brain dead on impact.  Also, looking at the pictures it was the back of the car that went under the crane, rather than a front-on collision.

Am I wrong in remembering it as them having the safety car out already at the point he crashed?

No the Safety Car left at the same time as the Medical Car. 

Its really weird IMO as Japan is held in high regard for the standard of their steward and marshall's and is considered up with Silverstone and Monaco for the quality. Yet in the video you can clearly see the green flag being waved, when it should have been waved yellows at least.

With regards to the cranes and JCB's coming onto the track, Hungary has this problem and some of the lesser circuits have always used cranes and diggers and such to move cars.

We can only hope that Bianchi recovers as well as he possibly can.

Fucking HELL.  It'll be a miracle if he survives that.  I was wrong, he did have a head-on impact, it's just the car went all the way under and back out the other side.

Nasty.

Elio was criminally underrated. He out-performed a young Nigel Mansell as teammates. Then he ran into the driver who many (including myself), consider the greatest of the modern era in Senna. Under the right circumstances, Elio could have at least fought for a WDC. A stong car can make a decent driver look immortal.

Loki - I am surprised you have not bumped this thread sooner. You must be over the moon with how Vettel has been walloped this year. 

D.R is over 50 points ahead of Vettel, is winning qualifying 9-6, and is 8-3 up in races where both have finished

Alonso said last year that to really prove his quality, Vettel had to win grand prix in an average car.

Well, he's not been able to. And another season getting shown up by Ricciardo would lessen his worth, hence the move to Ferarri now.

Conversely, Alonso confirms he's in a class of his own by making another world-class teammate look average by comparison.

100% agree.

R.B is a cracking car this year, not even average. It would be near perfection if it was not Renault powered. Yet despite D.R winning 3 races when the Mercedes drivers have had issues, Seb has not scored a single win.

I have Alonso and Lewis as the best drivers in F1. Give D.R a few more years and he could join them.

Its really weird IMO as Japan is held in high regard for the standard of their steward and marshall's and is considered up with Silverstone and Monaco for the quality. Yet in the video you can clearly see the green flag being waved, when it should have been waved yellows at least.

With regards to the cranes and JCB's coming onto the track, Hungary has this problem and some of the lesser circuits have always used cranes and diggers and such to move cars.

The green flag being waved was applied correctly. Marshals are told to wave the green flag at the first marshal post after an incident on-track and they would have been told to show a green flag at that post as it was situated after Sutil's incident. Nothing wrong with that, the marshals were doing their job and by the letter of the law, it was correct.

Horrible accident for Bianchi and hopefully he'll pull through. As bad as it sounds, I'd be amazed if he makes a full recovery on this one and even if he does, it'll be a long journey and I'd be genuinely amazed if he races an F1 car again.

Latest statement from Marussia and the Bianchi family on Marussia's website

The following statement is provided by the family of Jules Bianchi, in conjunction with the Mie General Medical Center, and is distributed on their behalf by the Marussia F1 Team.
“This is a very difficult time for our family, but the messages of support and affection for Jules from all over the world have been a source of great comfort to us. We would like to express our sincere appreciation.
Jules remains in the Intensive Care Unit of the Mie General Medical Center in Yokkaichi. He has suffered a diffuse axonal injury and is in a critical but stable condition. The medical professionals at the hospital are providing the very best treatment and care and we are grateful for everything they have done for Jules since his accident.
We are also grateful for the presence of Professor Gerard Saillant, President of the FIA Medical Commission, and Professor Alessandro Frati, Neurosurgeon of the University of Rome La Sapienza, who has travelled to Japan at the request of Scuderia Ferrari. They arrived at the hospital today and met with the medical personnel responsible for Jules’ treatment, in order to be fully informed of his clinical status so that they are able to advise the family. Professors Saillant and Frati acknowledge the excellent care being provided by the Mie General Medical Center and would like to thank their Japanese colleagues.
The hospital will continue to monitor and treat Jules and further medical updates will be provided when appropriate.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuse_axonal_injury

Well...shit. That doesn't look good. At this point, it looks like him just regaining consciousness will be major victory.

Archived