F1 2014 season

windoesnot

So we are just a week away from the first race weekend of the new season in what could be the most open championship in recent years.

Teams & drivers:

Red Bull Renault

Sebastian Vettel

Daniel Ricciardo

Mercedes F1

Lewis Hamilton

Nico Rosberg

Ferrari

Fernando Alonso

Kimi Raikonnen

Lotus Renault

Romain Grosjean

Pastor Maldonado

McLaren Mercedes

Jenson Button

Kevin Magnussen

Force India Mercedes

Sergio Perez

Niko Hulkenberg

Sauber Ferrari

Adrian Sutil

Estenab Gutierrez

Toro Rosso Renault

Jean-Eric Vergne

Danii Kvyat

Williams Mercedes

Filipe Massa

Veltteri Bottas

Marussia Ferrari

Jules Bianchi

Max Chilton

Caterham Renault

Kamui Kobayashi

Marcus Ericsson

The calendar

16th March - Australian GP

30th March - Malaysian GP

6th April - Bahrain GP (Night race)

20th April - Chinese GP

11th May - Spanish GP

25th May - Monaco GP

8th June - Canadian GP

22th June - Austrian GP

6th July - British GP

20th July - German GP

27th July - Hungarian GP

24th August - Belgian GP

7th September - Italian GP

21st September - Singapore GP (Night race)

5th October - Japanese GP

12th October - Russian GP

2nd November - American GP

9th November - Brazilian GP

23rd November - Abu Dhabi GP

What

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am picking Lewis, but Rosberg proved he could match Lewis in 2013. In races finished ahead when both finished, they tied 8-8. Lewis also only scored 19 points more over the season.

I think both Mercedes drivers have a good chance.

Williams looked good in testing, but I am not 100% impressed with their driver line up. Despite Bottas shining in Canada and America last year, in race trim Pastor was the stronger driver, when both finished Pastor finished ahead 9 times, while Bottas could only manage 5 times. Massa might be a shopworn driver after being battered by Alonso for 4 years. Maybe Alonso made him look worse than he actually is, but time is not on Massa's side.

D.R will present Vettel with a new challenge, and could give Seb a hard time in qualifying. I hope Renault do not solve their problems, as the prospect of another Vettel/R.B domination does not exactly fill me with excitement. I do like Vettel, but it would be nice for a change.

We also found out how good Kimi and Alonso are in relation to each other. That is one mouth-watering teammate head to head.

What happened to Paul DiResta? Seemed to be 'hot property' for some time, but now seems to have disappeared entirely (Unless I'm being blind!)

He lacked sponsorship money, whereas the likes of Sutil and Pastor bring in the cash.

Also, the rumor is he had a bad attitude. He is racing in DTM for Mercedes this year.

di Resta suffered from a combination of having been found out a little bit, some poor team strategy, not having any/enough personal sponsors and not being very PR-friendly. Honestly, I think he'll be better off in DTM. The series is much stronger than it has been in recent years with the introduction of the new models. Anyway, that's for a different thread...

We might be looking at the most interesting season for a while. The first year after major regulation changes always throws up something interesting, and we're now looking at a formula where the engines are going to be the most important thing. A car could be incredibly aerodynamic and have all sorts of amazing bits, but they'll be nowhere with the wrong engine. At the moment, that "wrong" engine looks to be wearing a Renault badge.

They've admitted themselves that they got the calculations a bit wrong with their heating estimates. So when they passed on those calculations to Newey's team at Red Bull, Newey did his usual thing of designing a very tightly packed car with very little margin for error. The result looks to be that whenever they try and push that car, it breaks down. I have no doubt that they'll sort this out by the end of the season through a combination of continued development of both car and engine, though there are some suggestions that they may need to build a B-spec car with a virtually new rear end to combat the cooling issues. As many have said, it's a massive season for Vettel. It's time to see how he copes with a poor car and not being at the front all of the time, though I think this will be the season where he silences a lot of his critics and does some very good things with a car that doesn't look to be giving him championship #5.

Hamilton has looked quick and starts the season as favourite for the championship...but I'd be putting my money on Rosberg. Something just tells me that he might be the one to spring a few surprises and beat Hamilton. Keep an eye out for Williams (and oh my, how beautiful is that car??) since they've been looking strong in testing.

Until the circus gets back to Europe, I think we'll be looking at races of attrition where if you finish, you will be scoring points. Marussia may not be looking quick, but they're looking reliable...and that might get them to the finish and into the points.

Excited by the possibility of a rejuvenated Williams. It's a gorgeous car.

I do think Mercedes will provide the strongest competition to Red Bull this year. I imagine Seb will piss and moan until Red Bull sort out the car.

• Paid Members

I do think Mercedes will provide the strongest competition to Red Bull this year. I imagine Seb will piss and moan until Red Bull sort out the car.

Luckily Bernie has installed his double points nonsense to help Red Bull at the tail end of the season.

Not that I'm suggesting any sort of conspiracy. Not at all.

• Paid Members

Luckily Bernie has installed his double points nonsense to help Red Bull at the tail end of the season.

What's this like?

I imagine Seb will piss and moan until Red Bull sort out the car.

I have missed your Vettel bile ;)

Other than Perez, none of the drivers or teams have said anything positive about the "double points" rule. Most polls I have seen on forums have indicated a 90% disapproval rating for it, and several casual fans I have spoken to dislike the rule.

In short, its too artificial. I get that Bernie want to increase the probability of a last race decider in the interest of TV ratings, but I still hate the rule.

• Paid Members

What's this like?

The final race of the season will be for double points. Bernie wanted it extended to the final three races.

• Paid Members

The Williams is indeed looking hot this year. However, I'm behind Raikkonen all the way. Will be rooting for both Ferrari drivers though as Alonso's been on my list for a while. After losing passion for the sport last year, I'm more optimistic this year and hoping for a boost to the entertainment of it all. Plus, I'm going to Monaco in May so I'll be highly disappointed if it becomes a bloody Vettel-fest again!

Regarding the double points rule for the final race...yes, it's stupid. I would hope it doesn't make a difference to the final result at the top of the championship, though you never know. If a driver/team loses out on the title because of the double points, I can see it being ditched. Might be slightly more difficult for the teams to push that through since FOTA no longer exists, but you never know.

Also, a really fun suggestion I've seen. If they want double points...fine. But double the distance and have a 600km race. You'd have to open it up to include a single fuel pitstop and have more tyres available, but I'd accept a double points thing if there was double distance alongside it.

Also, a really fun suggestion I've seen. If they want double points...fine. But double the distance and have a 600km race. You'd have to open it up to include a single fuel pitstop and have more tyres available, but I'd accept a double points thing if there was double distance alongside it.

:thumbsup:

That was exactly my thoughts on the matter

Archived