F1 2014 season

windoesnot

I have to agree that the the Suzuka staff and stewards did absolutely nothing wrong. As horrible as it is, this was a mixture of freak circumstances and a mistake by Bianchi. Having seen the footage I can't for the life of me believe that he was driving suitably under the double-waved yellows. He fucking rockets into the tractor. If it had been Maldonado we'd definitely see it in a different light.

I think the only change that might prevent similar accidents in the future is some sort of skirt on any vehicle that comes onto a live track. The only other suggestions I've heard are leaving dead cars on run-offs, only removing them under a safety car or having over-reaching cranes at every corner on every track. They all seem pretty unworkable to me.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a lot of onboard camera footage of F1 free practices from the 1970's.  This one is of Jacques Laffite's run in what was to be the tragic 1978 Italian Grand Prix at Monza.  According to a poster on the 'Patrick Tambay at Spa in Renault RE60B'  "F1 cars had onboard cameras from 1957, but they were not live. The first live onboard camera was in Francois Hesnault`s Renault back in the German GP in 1985. From 1957 to 1984 onboard cameras had (i believe) micro recorder systems" which is confirmed in Hesnault's Wikipedia page.

Cameras were first fitted to film Grand Prix I believe.

Apparently Schumi's not a total vegetable, so there's some good F1 news for a change.

• Paid Members

Andrea de Cesaris died Oct 5th of this year in a motorcycle crash. He was a stalwart of the 80's/early 90's, probably most famous for earning the nickname 'de Crasheris', James Hunt tearing him a new one numerous times on commentary and for his insane accident at the 1985 Austrian GP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsPNpTkdC48

Archived