Harold "Egon" Ramis Has Died

Steve Justice

• Awards Moderator

Oh no! This is really sad news. Ghostbusters is one of my favourite films and the Egon character was such a major part of that. And when you've written Animal House AND Caddyshack AND Groundhog Day in addition to being a Ghostbuster, you really have a major comedic legacy.

I even quite liked Year One...

RIP Harold Ramis.

• Paid Members

Oh my God, fuck no! Honestly, this is horrendous news. Absolutely love him and his froggy voice. Even to this day I say "I'm not gay, but I am willing to learn" when the opportunity to crowbar that gag into everyday conversation arises. What a shame. As far as Ghostbusters III goes, if it was ever going to happen it would have been really shit and involved putting people over in some way. Russell Brand as Peter or some shite, so his death isn't going to affect that. I'm just sad he's died.

Thanks for Ghostbusters, Stripes, Groundhog Day and Multiplicity.

Well, that's pants!

Always liked Caddyshack Groundhog Day, Ghostbusters and Stripes. He has a neat cameo in Airheads too, as a smarmy record exec.

Looking through some of the tributes, I never realised he'd been so ill recent nor had upped sticks in the mid 1990's away from LA to go to Chicago to get away from 'The Rat Race'

Fascinating man. Sad times RIP

• Paid Members

Nah, it'll probably make it easier for them to do a third one now Egon's dead. All they want is to reboot the franchise and make some money at the box office. Its why Bill Murray hates the second one. He feels there was nothing funny about it and it was made solely to get on board the popular cartoons success. Now they dont need to pester Bill Murray. Dan Akyroid did a Blues Brothers sequel, so he's bound to do this.

• Paid Members

Very sad. Caddyshack and Vacation are two of my all time favourite movies and I frequently listen to the Audio Commentary for Vacation when in bed as it helps me nod off due to his jolly fatherlike approach to everything.

Even in the Rodney Dangerfield documentary, he just comes off as the nicest man.

Shit shit news.

• Paid Members

That's shit news, like so many people Ghostbusters and National Lampoon's vacation were staples of my childhood and caddyshack and Groundhog day were great too. He seemed like a content jolly guy so I trust he had a great life with few regrets RIP.

...also fuck off anyone who makes the obvious Bill Murray/Ghostbusters III reference/shit joke.

Sorry for bringing negativity to this thread but I hate it in a case like this when someone rushes to say "I hope no one says this" it's really not that different to actually saying it yourself.

Got to be honest, my favourite thought of him is when they did one of those 'Top 50 Comedy Films' things and they brought up Ghostbusters and he said one of the best things was when his friends ring him up with there kids scared of ghosts, and he puts on the Egon voice and tells them he scanned there area and it's clear of ecoplasmic activity.

Awesome man, RIP.

Archived