Crime dramas

Nexus

• Paid Members

Having spent the last week watching Seasons 1-3 of Luther, and Seasons 1-4 of Whitechapel, my interest in crime TV has gone up again. Trying to think back to other crime shows I used to enjoy, there's also Jonathan Creek, Sherlock and Monk.

What sorts of crime dramas do you all like, and why? Any you'd recommend/get me to steer clear of?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first series if In Deep with Nick Berry and Stephen Tomkinson is quality 4 1 hour episodes, different story each week. Also Tomkinkinson done an excellent 2 part crime drama called Marion again....think thats what its called. Very chilling. Cant find either of these online tho.

I watched the first episode of By Any Means and found it disturbing. I was okay with the Hustle as a light entertaining look at conmen because they had some semblance of a code or morality which was a nice twist and because they're not representing the state, I'm not however keen on a stylish ncie representation of a section of the police who can do whatever they want. That's just disturbing. Not Batman "you're all idiots so corruption is the only method of saving you" levels of disturbing but still too nagging an issue to sit back and enjoy it.

Going back a bit but I always liked a Touch of Frost. David Jason is pretty good in the role, there are two stories which don't coincide but are pretty good and sometimes it gets really dark.

Also like Castle but I'm in love with Nathan Fillion, so I'm a bit bias.

• Paid Members

Rockford Files! Really easy viewing with some absolutely cracking epiosdes, plenty of crime, action romance etc and the relationship Jim has with his dad and best friends is quite funny. It must have been hugely expensive for a week to week show.

Crime is my absolute favourite genre, and I did my PhD on crime dramas. The list of all the ones I like is too long to do justice to here, but I have different tastes depending on the mood I'm in. For an easy afternoon/Sunday watch, you can't go wrong with Quincy, Columbo or Monk. If I want something hard-hitting and visceral, it's The Shield, Braquo and Oz. If I want something that's a bit more cerebral and I have to really concentrate on, it's The Wire, The Killing and Wallander for me. I think it's such a versatile genre in general that it's hard to narrow down my list any more than that.

• Paid Members

nice thread, i just started on Sherlock so i'll be on the look out for some more crime stuff in abit. I've neglected a lot of the UK crime drama stuff, i really need to check some of it out.

Anyone like The Messiah? A mate of mine harped on about that for ages, ive still not watched it though.

Cracker and Prime Suspect are great British crime dramas.

In recent years Luther is probably my favourite.

I enjoy A Touch Of Frost, in the same way as Columbo - mindless afternoon or late night solid entertainment.

I got the Burnside dvd (The Bill spinoff). Great coppa. Hope the Beech is Back specials are released soon.

Anyone like The Messiah? A mate of mine harped on about that for ages, ive still not watched it though.

Is that Messiah with Ken Stott and then latterly Marc Warren? I've only seen the Ken Stott ones, where Michelle Forbes is his deaf wife and they are excellent 1 and 2 particularly with lots of actors/actresses in roles that you wouldn't normally associate them with throughout the series and a Se7en-esque vibe, especially for the first one. It's well worth a watch. Nearly made my TV list for top shows. There are a few gaping logic plot holes throughout the series that may spoil things if you are in to that kind of thing though

Archived