Insane Championship Wrestling

the mullet

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If ICW pull in 1000 drunks in Edinburgh or even Glasgow then what threat is that to a family freindly promotion who runs Glasgow and the surrounding areas?

Yet another post with a wee dig at ICW I see. You have a hidden agenda my man, of that there is no doubt.

• Moderators

I'm not saying it's a direct threat to their market; that again is a very BritWres fighting-over-crumbs way of looking at things, but certainly in any industry it is worth casting your eye over what the competition is doing from a business opportunity perspective.

"Entirely different market" is a bit of a stretch.. It's all wrestling fans at the end of the day.

To give an example - they're at least as similar as WWE and UFC, which are not very similar but Vince and Dana certainly have an interest in each others' businesses.

It also should be remembered that the promotions have totally different business models. PBW and SWA for example both generate income from their training schools whereas ICW don't. PBW (and probably SWA although I'm not sure) also have a well stocked merch stall at shows as opposed to just t-shirts and wristbands at ICW. The reason for that should be obvious because 1 10 year old kid is much more likely to want a Sin Cara mask or a Ryback figure and the ICW crowd want Grado tishirts, Wolfgang t-shirts and t-shirts that have the word 'Cuntasaurus' on them.

PBW have had 800+ in the Pavillion Theatre two years in a row and SWA have a tie in with Zero-1 in Japan. Both companies to the best of my knowledge are doing very well just now even if they haven't exploded and rapidly gained populairty in the way that ICW has and in genereal I'd say both companies look to be making forward strides in their own venues and areas that they run. Having followed Scottish wrestling since 2005 the shows on offer from PBW and SWA in 2013 are vastly superior in every way to those that were on offer 8 years ago.

Yeah. Hidden agenda right enough. A hidden agenda to PULL ICW DOWN FROM THE VERY CORE with some comments on the UKFF. I didnt even start the thread. Trying to ignite some discussion on a discussion forum. I answered the OP's question. You're making that assumption based on my username. Which i submitted in 2009 when ICW was still in a hall in front of 30 people. I mean her'es a guy who supposedly lives in Spain but is jumping to the defense of ICW like it's on it's last legs. Every single thing that gets said he jumps back. But he doesnt attend shows of course. But ultimatley gives a huge fuck about them.

Benoit Is Innocent - that was exactly my point. I don't think SWA, BCW, PBW etc are remotely interested in ICW and what they do or who they draw. Becuase it doesn't affect their business. If anything it IMPROVES their business because I know of one or two adlts who attend ICW and they take their kids along to the family shows.

I dont see where the dig at ICW was in my last post. Again it's 100% accurate. And not really negative at all.

Didn't take it as a dig at the promotion but "pulling 1000 drunks" is almost certainly insulting to a number of fans. Makes it sound like it's a sell out of alcoholics.

The point is fair though, on the different markets. Pretty sure SWA's promoter mentioned this on a radio show actually, or it might have been PBW's.

Smallest crowd ive ever had in Garage is just over 500, never done any less than that, routinely around the 650 mark. We've pulled the staging out of the hall once to get 800 in but venue said never again as it was far too packed, so we have since capped shows in The Garage at 650, which we get on a regular basis. The bit about us claiming we had a bigger crowd in after having 800 in the month before for the Square Go is news to me, first I've heard of such a claim. Also when we ran the Classic Grand back in the day there wasn't a single show that we weren't over capacity for.

We have in 4 years sold out the majority of our shows and every other show we've ran hasn't been far off.

Ill write a little bit about the promotion in this topic later tonight when I've got some free time to fill in anyone who has no idea who we are just to give them a bit of a back story on us. Always happy when anyone shows an interest in ICW. Both negative and positive, as long as your talking I'm happy.

P.S FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

I only know of ICW through the workers I know on their cards, and the recent wave of publicity. I was watching YouTube videos yesterday from Grado/Cabana and so this thread caught my eye.

Bearing in mind the only show I work these days is Triple X, I can't compare ICW to anything current, I don't attend British Wrestling shows. What I wanted to say is that if they've managed to drum up publicity that's infringing on my limited view they're definitely doing something different to most other promotions. They seemed to have developed their own atmosphere, which in my mind is always key to well run promotion. If they have a sense of identity, which the fans can buy in to, then they're on to a winner. Certainly the wrestlers who work there talk very highly of it.

My hope would be that a company like this, with a promoter like this, can push their reach so they can expand to a wider geography and develop more. I'd just like to see wrestling widely accepted as an entertainment option, as a fan. If this product helps that, then surely everyone involved in wrestling should support it?

I mean her'es a guy who supposedly lives in Spain but is jumping to the defense of ICW like it's on it's last legs.

Supposedly lives in Spain? What the fuck are you talking about? As for "jumping to the defence" of ICW, I hardly think that's the case. As you say, you're "trying to ignite some discussion on a discussion forum". Well, here it is.

Every single thing that gets said he jumps back. But he doesnt attend shows of course. But ultimatley gives a huge fuck about them.

So, I'm only allowed to comment if I attend lots of shows? Is that how it works? Some of us need to work, and some of us don't have the advantage of living close to Glasgow. I already said, I've been to a number of shows before I moved abroad, and if there's a show on when I'm home I try my best to make it.

Benoit Is Innocent - that was exactly my point. I don't think SWA, BCW, PBW etc are remotely interested in ICW and what they do or who they draw. Becuase it doesn't affect their business.

You honestly believe that? If a person is in business he should be interested in every company that is making a success of things, especially if that company is operating in the same fucking industry as him!

For the guys who run SWA, BCW or PBW to say "well, ICW are tearing shit up here, they're all over the media and are making a bit of a name for themselves, but hey, who gives a fuck? It's not affecting our business!" would be completely ridiculous (just for the record, I don't believe for a second that the people running those companies think that way).

They would do well to look at what ICW are doing well, and seeing where they can implement some of their ideas to improve their own product. In fact, I have no doubt that this is already happening.

Anyway, this discussion spiralled from me pointing out that you've been overly negative towards ICW, who just so happen to be the most popular independent promotion in Scotland. It doesn't take a fucking rocket scientist to figure that you have some sort of agenda.

I dont see where the dig at ICW was in my last post. Again it's 100% accurate. And not really negative at all.

Referring to the ICW fanbase as "drunks" isn't you being negative? Fucking hell...

• Paid Members

Virtually all of ICW's output is recorded and then turned into their 'ICW Worldwide' YouTube show. I've been putting plenty of links to matches etc in the UKFF UK50 thread so you can make your own mind up.

Making it up to see an ICW show live is certainly something I'm looking to do as soon as it falls right.

Benoit Is Innocent - that was exactly my point. I don't think SWA, BCW, PBW etc are remotely interested in ICW and what they do or who they draw. Becuase it doesn't affect their business. If anything it IMPROVES their business because I know of one or two adlts who attend ICW and they take their kids along to the family shows.

That's not really what I was getting at. I don't think it would be accurate to say that the promoters of other Scottish companies aren't remotely interested in what ICW does. For one thing all of the promoters of the companies you mention have worked for ICW and one of them is currently in a very high profile position in ICW. Secondly they also have trainees of theirs who have gone on to appear on ICW cards. Even if SWA, PBW and BCW are doing well in their own venues they would be stupid not pay attention to what's happening in ICW, learn from it and use that knowledge to better their own promotions.

Archived