Insane Championship Wrestling

the mullet

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have heard little bits here and there about the promotion but I have never seen any of their shows, by the sounds of it I should be checking them out.

They put one of their shows on Youtube a while back.

if you fancy checking out their stuff.

They also used to sell their events on DVD as well, although I'm not sure if that's the case now.

The ICW product is very strong, and they've developed a loyal following by being, a lot like ECW, a very different product. There's no denying that selling out 1000 tickets anywhere is damn impressive - has anyone done that in the past few years since 1PW/FWA? The production team are all very professional too, which makes a big difference. They also have that ECW company loyalty from the performers, meaning they will go to any lengths to please the fans.

Honestly I think anyone who watches a company like ICW sell out The Garage time and time again and then sell 1000+ tickets to a show with only two imports and still thinks this isn't a company that will do well is crazy. As long as they are smart about their expansion, and don't piss off promoters in those areas, they could go very far indeed. They appear to have the company loyalty and potentially size of a 1PW, without the huge financial problems.

• Paid Members
I really dislike the comparison to ECW too. Who would want to be compared to ECW? It was a company that crashed and burned.

It was a company that had an incredible connection with their audience. Indy promotions around the world have been striving to build up that kind of dedicated following ever since.

Honestly I think anyone who watches a company like ICW sell out The Garage time and time again and then sell 1000+ tickets to a show with only two imports and still thinks this isn't a company that will do well is crazy. As long as they are smart about their expansion, and don't piss off promoters in those areas, they could go very far indeed. They appear to have the company loyalty and potentially size of a 1PW, without the huge financial problems.

I don't think it's a case of them not being able to expand, more that once they hit a certain level, they'll lose a lot of the appeal. It's an underground cult phenomenon in the Central Belt. With the exception of Barrowlands and the Academy, there is nowhere else they haven't been where you can realistically hold bigger events without getting into SECC and Braehead territory and even if they somehow struck gold and managed to fill those places, it would lose a lot of what people loved about it. Similarly, if they were to start doing Aberdeen and Inverness or going down to Newcastle and beyond, I can't see it being the same if you take away that trademark ICW crowd.

• Moderators

I've never been, but I'd love to go. Will it decline a bit? Maybe. Everything in Britwres which is a bit different does in the end. But they've got a passionate fanbase and they're hot. It's especially impressive that it's all done with minimal imports to me though. And getting 1000 people in a venue for a show in this country is extremely impressive. It is anywhere to be honest. Most US Indies, if not all, can't do that. I don't get what was got at with an earlier post about it being for "wrestling" fans and not those bored with "sports entertainment" fans though. Look at Grado, he's fucking awesome, and it doesn't get much more sports entertainment than him. Sports entertainment and wrestling are the exact same thing to me.

Maybe they will just stay happy where they are, and not try to expand further than they need to. Everyone involved seems to enjoy it, and the crowds look amazing to be a part of. Talk of shows elsewhere, ippvs, being next ecw all seem unnecessary. Just let them be icw.

• Moderators
being next ecw all seem unnecessary. Just let them be icw.

Definitely. Well said. Ignore the comparisons to ECW. ECW died in lots of debt. I'd rather be the successful and profitable ICW. They've got a market and approach of their own that works brilliantly for them.

• Paid Members

To me, the terms Sports Entertainment and Pro-Wrestling have always been the same thing. At it's very basics it's a pre-determined begining and end. The interesting prt is how you tell the story inbetween. This also explains the difference between wrestling and working and how they are so important to the end product. You get a guy like Jerry Lawler, who move by move is not a wrestler in the sense of a Chris Benoit, but can work the crowd like no one els, and can get the audiance loving him or hating him as he wishes. You then get your Chris Benoits who uses his skills of wrestling to tell the story, and again get the audience to react how he wishes. It's all story telling, and to do it well, you need the interest.

ICW have obviously nailed this for the audience they are going for. They are getting arses on seats, which is incredible these days, and the crowd are obviously loving it and returning. Is it a fad? Will it last? Will they become the leader in British pro-wrsting and take it to a new era? No one knows, but lets just enjoy it for what it is.

• Paid Members
Congratulations to SpiritOfTheForest on making a post even more pathetic than the OP.

Thanks for a sterling input to the thread.

who love wrestling as opposed to sports entertainment

What's the difference, and how does ICW fit into that comparison?

By that I just mean fans who watch a ton of indy wrestling or wrestling where the focus is what's going on in-ring, as opposed to the soap opera WWE style. It's just my experience of the fans I've met there. Of course plenty do watch WWE but they tend to fall in to the indy stereotype in that they love CM Punk and hate John Cena etc. There are exceptions on the ICW roster however, most notably Grado, as Butch pointed out. I do love Grado. He's probably the only man in history to make me sing along to Madonna.

Anybody here a fan of the Bucky Boys? That's a tremendous gimmick and they tear the house down every show.

Archived