Insane Championship Wrestling

the mullet

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sour grapes? sour grapes how?

I didn't even say anything negative in my post about ICW. So it sounds a bit to me like someone can't read properly.

They sold out Edinburgh I would say mainly because of Sabu as this was his first appearance in Scotland.

A lot of the content is specific to the Glasgow area, for example the Bucky Boys characters. That's why the product is so over locally. But at the end of the day it's not like ICW are the first wrestling company to cater to the 18+ market and certainly won't be the last.

They don't have a special formula that works or they don't do anything different fom anyone else.

The above makes it sound to me as though your nose is a bit out of joint that the promotion have seen the success that they have, and you seem awfully eager to point out that what they do isn't original, and that they don't do anything differently from any other wrestling company.

If what they do isn't original and is so simple then why aren't more promotions doing it? If it's so easy? Are sold out shows and being the talk of the country not what every Scottish promotion is looking for?

You also mention that you believe they sold out their show in Edinburgh "mainly because of Sabu", when they routinely sell out shows without the need for overseas names.

I can assure you my nose is not out of joint about the success of ICW. I have attended almost every single show since 2006 bar one or two. Whereas you have stated here that you have barely even attended a show. You're making comments based on word of mouth mainly, Whereas I stand in the crowd almost every 4 weeks and watch these guys and have done for some time. You talk about them routinely selling out. Where did you get this information? Edinburgh was sold out, yes. Without imports, sure the crowd would have been big but I don't think i would have been a legit sell out. I've saw 700 people in The Garage for Grado vs Red Lightning. Then fast forward 10 months and there's half that. So how is that "routuine sell out?"

Everything you quoted that I said is 100% true. The original poster's question was, how big can it get? My answer was. Locally it's huge. Nationally i'm not sure because of the numerous local references within the shows. And also the fact that the live event is the place to be and doesnt come across the same on a video.

Who would give a shite about the Bucky Boys in London?

I'm not going to cover old ground, go back and read the post properly. You've quoted about 3 sentences from the full paragraph.

Which show at the Garage had 350 people at it? I can't remember a single show that didn't have at least a legitimate 500-600 people at it. The only show I've missed since In Your Gaff was this years Square Go.

As for the Bucky Boys in London didn't Grado and Jester get over strong with the crowd who were in London for the show that was part of the Vice premier? I'm not saying the Bucky Boys would get the reaction they get in Glasgow but both guys are definitely good enough to make people give a shit about them very quickly.

I can assure you my nose is not out of joint about the success of ICW.

Thanks for the assurance, but I'm only going on the tone and content of your posts.

I have attended almost every single show since 2006 bar one or two. Whereas you have stated here that you have barely even attended a show.

Yeah, I live abroad mate. I do, however, have friends that attend every show, and get to shows when I'm back in the UK if possible. I'm not sure how that invalidates what I posted with regards to your views in this thread?

You're making comments based on word of mouth mainly, Whereas I stand in the crowd almost every 4 weeks and watch these guys and have done for some time.

Again, fantastic. You're out there supporting the local scene which is great. Very commendable. That has nothing to do with what I've posted though, does it? I'm posting about your views in this thread. A thorough knowledge of the ICW promotion isn't really required to note the tone of your posts.

You talk about them routinely selling out. Where did you get this information?

From hearing various friends say "Ah, shit! I was wanting a ticket for that show but I've left it too late. It's sold out!", and also from the promotion and Dallas himself saying "this show is now sold out".

At the end of the day, I'm not going to go back and forward with you mate. All I'll say is that the way your posting is somewhat typical of someone who follows (or is maybe involved in) the British wrestling scene.

ICW do a great job by all accounts, and whilst their show may not sell out the fucking Albert Hall in London, it would appear that they piss all over the rest of what Scotland has to offer as far as wrestling goes (including PBW I'd guess), and they're getting the rewards for that now.

I just don't buy into your opinion of "they don't do anything different from anyone else" and "they don't have a special formula". If this is the case then why the fuck aren't other Scottish promotions getting multiple page spreads in national newspapers? Interviews on well known radio shows and so on?

I think, and I suspect that you know, that they are doing something different and somewhat original when it comes to Scottish wrestling. They've had the balls to push the envelope a little and break the mold, and that doesn't sit well with some of the more "established" promotions who perform to 300 people in local sportcentres.

The numbers at each show vary, sometimes drastically. So how someone can say they "routinely sell out" is beyond me. My point was David there is just making that assumption based on what they tell him and hasn't actually witnessed it.

My original point was the the roster work extremely hard. And that I think it they key to the success of the company. Without them there isn't much to rave about - the same woudl go for any wrestling promotion. Other companies have tried the same model down south but to much less success because their roster is wafer thin and full of crap. There are a few local references which people in other areas of the UK won't quite click with. I dont really see anything negative about what I have said.

I never once said that ICW weren't doing a good job with anything.

As for those who perform in front of the 300 in sportscentres. Why would they care? They all work for or with ICW anyway. Think about it. The rosters in every company are almost identical.

Fact is mate you've taken my post completely out of the context it was meant and went on a big daft rant for no reason.

The numbers at each show vary, sometimes drastically. So how someone can say they "routinely sell out" is beyond me. My point was David there is just making that assumption based on what they tell him and hasn't actually witnessed it.

As I said, I've had numerous friends attend shows and every time they've told me that it's been absolutely heaving with people. Never once have I heard anyone say that they've only drawn half of what they had previously in the Garage. Ever.

Also, why would the company put out on their social media that a show is sold out a week or even two in advance if it wasn't? They would simply be losing themselves money through ticket sales by doing that!

My original point was the the roster work extremely hard. And that I think it they key to the success of the company. Without them there isn't much to rave about - the same woudl go for any wrestling promotion.

After a quick look there I've noticed that the company in your name, PBW, uses a fair chunk of the roster that ICW uses, doesn't it? If it's all down to the roster (and I'm not saying that they aren't a major reason for the success of ICW) then why haven't PBW been gracing the national newspapers? Why haven't they been making waves the way ICW have if without the roster ICW are "nothing much to rave about"?

I don't particularly care either way for PBW, so no offence to that company, but why, if it's down to the roster and nothing else, are ICW selling out some of the top nightclubs in Glasgow, selling out in Edinburgh while they're pissing about in places like Lambert, Alloa and Airdrie town hall despite using a lot of the same guys?

The numbers at each show vary, sometimes drastically.

Define drastically? I'd say the biggest variation in numbers from show to show at the Garage is between 50-100 people. I don't think theyve ever only had 350 in there since that Grado/Lightning match. For me a drastic variation would be around 30% and I don't think they've ever had a fluctuation like that in the last year and a bit.

In the example of PBW, and SWA. They dont need national newspapers and national radio. Sure, I think they would aprpeciate the coverage. But they canvas local areas and sell tickets and merchandise in the sports centers and town halls. Its a different business model. Both the companies have schools which supplement both companies I would imagine with capital for promoting the shows and talent to put on the shows. I genuinely don't think they give a toss what ICW is doing.

Again, I don't see anything negative about my comments on here. Apart from calling bullshit from you about discussing crowd sizes when you werent there. I've seen them remove the stage because there were far too many people in the venue and they needed the space. Yet the next show the stage was put back in - and even with the stage there, people had alot more room to move around. Yet when the attendance figures came out it claimed that there were more fans there than at the previous show? How is that possible? The Garage has never truly sold out and I can't recall ICW ever annoucning it has been sold out. If these shows sell out in advance then how come everybody that turns up at the door with a tenner gets in? I've never bought a ticket in advance. The only shows I had to get in advance was Classic Grand as obv that is a smaller venue.

Okay, so i will admit to the 50% being an exaggeration.

• Moderators
In the example of PBW, and SWA. They dont need national newspapers and national radio. Sure, I think they would aprpeciate the coverage. But they canvas local areas and sell tickets and merchandise in the sports centers and town halls. Its a different business model. Both the companies have schools which supplement both companies I would imagine with capital for promoting the shows and talent to put on the shows. I genuinely don't think they give a toss what ICW is doing.

Nah, no way man. If another promotion is pulling it consistently bigger houses in the same catchment area as you then you definitely give a toss.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure ICW won't have got to where they are without local promotion, but local and national are not mutually exclusive. Sure the business models may be different, but they're not such a million miles apart that people from both sides of the fence wouldn't pay any attention to the other.

I'm not asking if they need national media coverage, am I? I'm saying that if they were doing the job that ICW is doing they would be getting it.

You claimed that the roster is the only reason for ICW's success, saying, and I quote "Without them there isn't much to rave about". This is untrue though, isn't it? If it were only the roster, then surely the likes of PBW would be getting similar coverage and would be making similar waves. They aren't though, are they?

Archived