Insane Championship Wrestling

the mullet

I have attended a few of there shows including the recent one in Edingburgh which was a sell out of 1000+. People I have spoken to say this is the new ECW but I really beg to differ. The reason this was a sell out was because they had Colt Cabana and Sabu on the card.

My understanding is they were struggling to sell out a community centre of sorts last night in Maryhill, Galsgow.

I do wish Mark Dallas all the best but this is not ECW and never will be in my opinion.

This is not a dig at the company, fans or Dallas just what I think. Am sure I will get a hard time over this but it is my belief.

Over and Out

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm not really sure what your point is.

Have you ever been to their shows at the Garage. They are always either sell-outs or near sell-outs and that's no tiny venue. And they do this without having any imports at all 90% of the time.

The ECW comparison to me comes from the atmosphere. It's very non-mainstream in that it's unsuitable for children, there is gratuitous swearing both from the crowd and the wrestlers and there's a ton of hardcore violence. It's hard to put into words but when you're in the crowd shouting "Shitebag!" or whatever you feel like you're part of something very special. The fanbase is either comprised of diehard wrestling fans who love wrestling as opposed to sports entertainment or people who don't watch any wrestling at all apart from ICW. That, and the fact there's no kids about in John Cena t-shirts as you'd get at a WWE house show, also really contributes to the underground, cult atmosphere. Definitely to me ICW is the closest thing there is to a new ECW right now. Even Cabana on his latest podcast was selling the hell out of it. Plus, if Sabu says it's the company that has most reminded him of ECW since it went out of business then that must mean something surely.

I have attended a few of there shows including the recent one in Edingburgh which was a sell out of 1000+. People I have spoken to say this is the new ECW but I really beg to differ. The reason this was a sell out was because they had Colt Cabana and Sabu on the card.

My understanding is they were struggling to sell out a community centre of sorts last night in Maryhill, Galsgow.

I do wish Mark Dallas all the best but this is not ECW and never will be in my opinion.

This is not a dig at the company, fans or Dallas just what I think. Am sure I will get a hard time over this but it is my belief.

Over and Out

They sold out Edinburgh I would say mainly because of Sabu as this was his first appearance in Scotland. But to be fair nobody claimed otherwise?

They sold 300+ tickets last night for a show that was only announced a month in advance, had no bar and didn't even have a really marquee match. Last nights show was a one off trip back to their original venue and served the purpose of a nostalgia show.

They've had BBC filming them for a couple of months so I think how big they get may depend on how the eventual documentary comes across. That said, i think selling out venues like the Picture House and possibly the ABC once or twice a year with other shows at the Garage is where they will level out with maybe a big show next year in the Barrowlands being the biggest they can do. I hope I'm wrong and they grow beyond that but my worry would be that the market they appeal to isn't big enough.

The fanbase is either comprised of diehard wrestling fans who love wrestling as opposed to sports entertainment or people who don't watch any wrestling at all apart from ICW.

Wha?

That's actually a fair point. There's definitely a percentage of fans at ICW shows who don't watch wrestling generally but who come to ICW shows.

It's the perfect time to be into ICW, because they really are a phenomenon at the moment. I can't see them getting much bigger than it is at the moment. I can see an event or two each year at the ABC and Picture House.

There's definitely a bit of debt owed to ECW, and I'm sure Dallas and co. would freely admit that themselves. You just have to look at the kind of guys they have in to see that. They mention them a lot, and their style takes a lot of cues from them, but this is a very Scottish take on it. I don't know if it would be the same or work as well anywhere else.

In truth, I like the promotion because it's a good night out and I'll know people there. I don't think I'd ever want to go to another Scottish fed purely because I've been burned before turning up and finding I'm the only adult there that wasn't accompanying a child, at least with ICW, I know I'll be surrounded by people similar to myself. They've managed to catch those guys you always meet in your life, who watched it during the Attitude era but grew out of it. People who will watch Wrestlemania because The Rock and Undertaker on it then go back to their non-wrestling lives. If you can get them to turn up, give them a few nods as they get pissed and have a good time, they'll come back. No other promotion that I know of does that.

• Paid Members
The fanbase is either comprised of diehard wrestling fans who love wrestling as opposed to sports entertainment or people who don't watch any wrestling at all apart from ICW.

Wha?

That's actually a fair point. There's definitely a percentage of fans at ICW shows who don't watch wrestling generally but who come to ICW shows.

Without punctuation, it reads like the "people who don't watch any wrestling at all apart from ICW" are the people who aren't at the shows. i.e. they're the same as the people who love sports entertainment.

as opposed to sports entertainment or people who don't watch any wrestling at all apart from ICW

Archived