Smackdown Discussion Thread

Corbin and Crews were fighting again, very quickly becoming this generation's Kofi/Ziggler. While Swagger is knocking around in the background and nobody knows what the fuck for.

It's just too fucking laughable that they move Swagger over to SD and try to make him look a threat after he's been the resident jobber for the last couple of years. 

Anyway where is Eva? Her suspension ended on Monday.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I don't get why they persist in doing the live announcements of big stuff for the following weeks show. There's no better way to kill a crowd.

There's no better way to advertise something to get people to tune in next week.

Admittedly I was only half paying attention, but did David Otunga ever finish the story "I was on a movie set and I asked Rikishi, what's up with the twins!?". I feel like I heard him start it three times at least but I have no clue if he ever managed to finish it. He is the absolute pits regardless. I'm confident a child could offer more interesting insight.

• Paid Members

Admittedly I was only half paying attention, but did David Otunga ever finish the story "I was on a movie set and I asked Rikishi, what's up with the twins!?". I feel like I heard him start it three times at least but I have no clue if he ever managed to finish it. He is the absolute pits regardless. I'm confident a child could offer more interesting insight.

Couldnt agree more. His voice doesnt suit commentary at all, he has nothing interesting to say and he has no credibility whatsover. There was a line the other week about what a world champion must feel like and he threw 'I should imagine' at the end of it. Utter bobbins. How he's lasted this many weeks is a tragedy. 

I don't know if he has some weird guaranteed contract or dirt on someone or they're that desperate to keep contact with Jennifer Hudson, but there's something going on there.

As many others have said:

Otunga can't wrestle very well at all.

He has no insight to offer whatsoever.

He doesn't even have a personality to carry him through.

I really can't see how, out of all the options they have, they genuinely thought choosing Otunga as one of their commentary guys was a good idea.

I don't know if he has some weird guaranteed contract or dirt on someone or they're that desperate to keep contact with Jennifer Hudson, but there's something going on there.

I really can't see how, out of all the options they have, they genuinely thought choosing Otunga as one of their commentary guys was a good idea.

Him and Saxton are the right colour!  I think its as simple as that!

Talking Smack was another curious watch, with a half-decent Carmella promo and a sort of good, sort of not promo from Dean Ambrose. It wasn't totally rubbish in that he tried to establish his "I'm not a heel but I still don't give a shit what people think of me, especially John Cena" character, but it also went on way too long and fell apart like that thing he did about Austin's bum knee in the podcast. Renee Young also noted how she was told to be unbiased, and reacted purposefully when Ambrose was wrapping up saying he didn't care what Bryan thought, or what she thought so all us nerds can go "ooooh!"

He's a funny one Ambrose. I'm no super fan but he definitely brings something to the table, I'm just not sure what it is. He'd probably be fine as a heel now if Smackdown wasn't so desperate for decent faces. I bet, actually, you could probably do a double turn with Styles and AJ would be fantastic in the babyface role too.

The Cena loss after a sunset flip was very odd, but I reckon they're gonna stretch out the feud developed last week between Cena and Ambrose. It was a pretty good segment and the two are just oil and water as babyfaces - should be a good dynamic going forward

Him and Saxton are the right colour!  I think its as simple as that!

And he has big muscles. Was on muscle and fitness cover I think, so I assume Vince has masturbated to him.

Really good show, I thought. Alpha vs Usos was one of my favourite tag matches in years. They decided to actually use a match to further a storyline instead of just using a match to fill TV time. I'm very impressed by the booking and the performers there. Top banana!

I like the Cena/Styles/Ambrose dynamic a lot. JC definitely loses too often these days, hopefully the result means something going forward.

Bryan/Miz is a great feud. I'm holding out hope that they're working something out to do at least a one-off match between them at WrestleMania, even if it's a Bret Hart style match. Bryan getting the chance to return to the ring and redeem himself for his 2015 Intercontinental lie is a strong story, especially if Miz retains.

Jack Swagger's not usually a good sign, but they do need people like him on the card to build Corbin.

I'm certainly enjoying Smackdown much more than Raw lately. Another good show this week. Everything served a purpose and there was plenty of good action throughout. Really enjoyed the main event even if the finish was telegraphed from the very moment Cena joined commentary.

Miz was great again too this week and I'd love to see Ziggler lose at No Mercy, though I can't see it happening.

Smackdown has a lot going for it to be fair.

The breezy two hour length, no version of the latest Authority rehash stinking up the show and all of the title divisions having strong and clear cut directions.

This show had an eight man tag featuring Usos and Ascension vs Heath, Rhyno and AA and it was really enjoyable. The crowd were really in to the faces and against the impressive new darker Usos. This division is clearly everything that the Raw tag division is not. Exciting, new and revitalized teams opposed to The New Day and The Club going out to fill time.

Carmella is looking really impressive and a feud with Nicki is giving some gravitas to her weekly antics.

Short but sweet attack from Bliss on Becky Lynch. Not an overly long promo followed by a filler match that you would see on Raw.

AJ vs Dean was a solid TV main event with the added importance of Cena being present. This was not the murky, clouded mess of Seth being a supposed babyface that desperately cares about Steph's stance on him. A lot of the crowd love AJ but he's not trying to make them laugh in the way that the new chosen one Kevin Owens is. I'm an Owens fan but his intentions are a little all over the place.

So yeah, Smackdown is great.

Archived