The Preston City Wrestling Thread

The first time I read that I thought it was Dave Rayne vs Vader. Glad I was mistaken and it's actually Mastiff vs Vader. That could be an absolute war. Mastiff proved this weekend that he's just as good against a big man as he is against smaller guys and they don't come much bigger than Vader!

I was hoping to see Vader absolutely squash someone too (Bubblegum maybe?) so hopefully there's still a chance to see that before or after the match.

All the better that i'll be going with my free raffle winning tickets :laugh:

That was tremendous. I saw you.... but you didn't see me. ;)

I was distracted by Tommy! hoisting me up masterlock style to celebrate :laugh: although I'm sure somebody shouted Windham as he was doing so. Have to say hi next time. I wasn't drunk, but drinking at the shows gives me a patchy memory of specific details of matches, like Liger winning with a top rope brainbuster :confused: It's weird because I remember everything after the wrestling fine.

I forgot to mention that the bits with Bubbglegum/Kong and Dave Rayne on Night 2 were very entertaining segments.

Hello everyone (first post, finally got verified woop)

The other day at Southside, Petey Williams was announced for Speedking. (not sure what month that falls)

Is it likely this will be announced for PCW too? Think he'd go down well with that crowd.

Welcome to the UKFF mate!

In answer to your question, possibly. Depends on if Fludder wants him or not I guess, and if Fludder thinks Williams is worth what his asking price is. There's been a crossover of talent between PCW and Southside previously (such as this past weekend), and both promotions' shows never clash.

Southside's Speed King 2014 show is on Saturday April 26th, and the day before - Friday April 25th - is PCW Spring Slam 2014. So yeah, it's possible. PCW has quite a few shows before then though.

Edited by ClassicsGuy

PCW has quite a few shows before then though.

Is there anything announced for March, that I've missed? The only ones I know about between now and April is the Vader show next month and then the Riddick Bowe show in late Feb. Of course, it's very possible that I'm behind on event news.

Edited by Richie Freebird

PCW has quite a few shows before then though.

Is there anything announced for March, that I've missed? The only ones I know about between now and April is the Vader show next month and then the Riddick Bowe show in late Feb. Of course, it's very possible that I'm behind on event news.

2014 Dates announced at the moment

Road To Glory - Feb 28/Mar 1

Who Dares Wins - Mar 28

SpringSlam - Apr 25

Supershow 4 - May 30/31

Three - August 1

Untitled Show - Sep 27

Fright Night 3 - Oct 31

Supershow 5 - Nov 28/29

I was supposed to do an audio review of the weekend for the Indy Corner but honestly I hate the sound of my own voice and felt awkward as fuck talking to myself so here are some random thoughts from Preston Night 1:

-Felt great to be back in the former Lava and the place looks great. Really glad they got the entrance way set in as that's going to look fantastic on footage.

-Opening four way was brilliant and arguably the match of the night. PCW really pick and choose their opening and closing matches very well as you couldn't ask for a better start to the night/weekend than this one. Just under nine minutes worth of brawling around ringside, Trav's best punches in England, Steen running his mouth and powerbombing everyone and high spots. Not a single second felt wasted and you really did feel the intensity between Trav and Hayes after their recent history as well as set up Steen vs Trav II for the afternoon show. The Package Piledriver on Trav ONTO Hayes was sick.

-Liked Kidd/Myatt but could tell with clearly being able to hear the crowd murmour and talk amongst themselves that it wasn't engaging everyone. Kidd is so spry and nimble for his age and really lives up to the "Mr Smooth" nickname with effortless technical wrestling. Keith did attempt the gentlemanly thing of trying to out-wrestle Kidd but when that was becoming a cause of frustration he did resort to using blows and short cuts, but not in overly heel/aggressive way which I think also didn't help engage the crowd as Myatt was a returning semi-regular against Kidd's debut. Kidd tapping out so quick caught many off-guard, most likely because we're used to the desperate struggle and fight in modern wrestling.

-Was disappointed with Davids/Kong but still an alright match. What I wanted from this match was not matched by Kong's effort as they went shortly over 5 minutes and I was hoping to see England's best female wrestler really bring the fight to a woman who was once one of the best womens wrestlers only a few short years ago. Still, April got the biggest win of her career and Bubblegum's involvement in the finish was very entertaining and really helped hype up the match between him and Kong the next night.

-Enjoyed the six man but felt it didn't match my, admittedly, lofty expectations. I was again expecting a war, a fight between five heavyweights (and Bubblegum) and most likely something similiar to the ringside brawling seen in the opening four-way. But instead Bubblegum's antics in winding D'Lo Brown up and Team Single dominating and running through Hardcore Holly before a long awaited hot tag, made the match. Air Raid was proved right as D'Lo and Holly's desire to be the one to hurt and pin Bubblegum ultimately led the two former WWF stars to blows and Mastiff pinned after a nasty looking piledriver from Brown before Bubblegum was chucked on top.

-Thought Uhaa vs Ligero was very good. Uhaa did everything to get over with that crowd and how easily it was to incorporate "UU-HAA" into existing songs meant the crowd was in full voice with The Cartoonies, Nina G and DJ Otzi. Ligero was selfless and was the big reason Uhaa was able to get over and look so impressive as Ligero went out of his way to make Uhaa look like a million bucks and manage to reverse/power out of Ligero's big aerial moves at key points. It didn't feel like a squash, mainly due to Ligero's fire, but I wouldn't be surprised if upon re-watching that match Uhaa got 75% of the matches offense, if not over.

-The tag match really was a match of body language and facials as they managed to get the crowd in hysterics over the slightest of things. Masters really does have a knack at this whole comedy wrestling thing and was game for everything thrown at him. Especially Hope's tassles.

-Lionheart defending the PCW Heavyweight Championship against Noam Dar was good. While I wasn't against Lionheart/Doug in the submission match, this was better than what the originally scheduled match was going to be with just how well the two know each other and work together. There really was a sense that Dar could take the Title and the crowds joy when his music hit was ecstatic. Dar really kicked the match into high gear from the out-set when he dove on Lionheart outside the ring when he was trying to weasle his way out of the match on the mic. They had a good back and forth match and I genuinely could have seen the Title change happen when Dar kept kicking out, he kept refusing to submit to a bridging hammerlock (the same move he was in last month with Doug) and then Fludder was unable to stop the match due to the guest GM, Richard Parker. After all that when he left the ring to air his mind to Fludder, you could've seen the quick roll up victory for Lionheart coming a mile away but there was still the notion that maybe Dar would still be able to win here until the ref's hand hit the mat a third time and the place was deflated and pissed off.

-Loved the main event. Loved the fact that Liger and Kirby got to main event, especially over the Title match. While the four-way may have been my match of the night, this match was truly something special to see a hard working guy like Kirby who has busted his ass in PCW and remains over with the crowd no matter his losses or real sense of direction, get to main event against a legend like Jushin Thunder Liger. This was the first time he'd main evented in PCW since the debut show. And eventhough Kirby's frustration, greed and desire to beat a legend like Liger got the better of him and he started to cut corners and wrestle a lot more aggressive style than what you'd usually see Kirby wrestle in PCW, he still ultimately had enough respect for Liger to not follow through with a chair shot. I was made up that he got to kick out of not only a Liger Bomb, but a Brainbuster as well. I did think maybe even Kirby could get the win, but the top rope Brainbuster really was a fitting end to such a great match.