The Preston City Wrestling Thread

Bit of shame really, for an event with so much potential something didn't sit right the whole way through.

Crowd was quieter than usual, although as we got towards the second half drunken slurs of chants (mostly pointless and aggressive) started.

Behind me on entrance stairs a group of drunken half wits win the award for most annoying people I've ever witnessed at PCW. The lad who chanted 'You're brill' at Lionheart, although drunk, was having fun and that group insisted on 'chanting' and shouting rather abusive and mean stuff towards him. I've never seen them at PCW before (and i've been going a year now) and although i usually would say anyone is welcome in my books, they hopefully won't come again.

As for the event its self, probably the weakest of the year but in comparison to most other companies, still a great night. A few notes:

AJ not turning up was expected but i still had my fingers crossed. Was nice to see Ligero have a crack for the belt.

Dar is far wittier than he lets on, his tweets and facebook cracks me up and it was nice to see him bring that to the ring. Good match too.

Bit gutted with the ladies match as I was looking forward to the LVD match but everyone has off days.

Uhaa and Williams wins MOTN for me i think, 2 great talents. Uhaa being as over as he is just adding to it too. Similar feelings to Masters or Steen when he's in the ring.

Trav and Hayes steal the show as far as theatrics go. Good No DQ match, table spots especially. Bit of a cop out with the 'shaving' though.

Solid job by Joel the Ref tonight I feel. He doesn't get enough credit that lad.

Was a nice thing to say i've seen Vader. Not much else on that one to say.

All in all looking forward to the new year and new shows. I love PCW, even the bad is still great.

Great night, I may actually still be pissed, but shall try and do a write up

Kirby vs Dar was a cracking opener. PCW seem to have a slew of amazing openers, and this was no exception. Kirby picked up the win, which was different, He is certainly busting out all the stops in PCW at the moment, would love to see him hold some sort of Gold

Rayne vs Bubblegum vs Manson vs Hope was excellent comedy stuff. The Noam Dar off was hilarious, as was the teased Manson destroyer, I really loved this match.

Team Single vs DNA- Good match, Team Single are just on fire at the moment and a reformed DNA did well. Robbie Dynamite looked like he landed funny after one trip out of the ring, hope isnt a major thing as he is starting to get into the PCW vibe. Benny's Dirty Leeds Banner, really got to Rampage :p

Vader vs Mastiff was a complete waste. Wasnt expecting much off Vader, but Mastiff who has a lot of momentum in recent times suffered even though won. Dave Rayne interference wasnt needed. Vader really cant do much at all in terms of the ring any more. Everyone who met him said he wasnt in the 'mood' either. Shame

Didnt see the women's match. apart from the fuck up at the entrances. Shame if the crowd shat on it. The women that usually are there are really good. Would love to see Davids vs Vyper again at some point (Though was Future Shock where I last saw them) They havent fought in PCW

Uha vs Williams, was what it was. Much love for Uha, dont see what Doug brings to PCW. Good wrestler, but doesnt really fit in or interact with the crowd. More than a few have said he's dull

Lionheart vs Ligs was class act. Ligs can go with anyone and there was a sense in the crowd after the initial shock that he could pull an upset off. He didnt, next time Ligs. Lionhearts Mic Work was exceptional

Trav vs Trav was akin to their match at Panic at the Disco for Southside in the same venue, they even did a few of the same spots. It was a brutal viscious affair, enjoyed it.

All in all a solid, but not amazing card. The crowd were a bit quiet, flat through out. Some strange decisions booking wise going in to next year, but shall see what happens with that going forward

I liked the show overall. PCW has set such a high standard for shows, that when you have shows that are '9's and '10's, as recent shows have been, and then you get a '7', it's noticeable. Happens to every promotion. It wasn't a bad show, it's just, as even Vince McMahon recently said, 'you can't hit them all out of the park all the time'.

Just a few things -

I don't know what the deal is with AJ Styles, but whether he was coming but cancelled (either him or TNA), or whether he was always not coming and the whole thing was a work just designed to get heat on Lionheart, whatever it was.... I don't think it worked. If it's designed to build towards him appearing next year (March? When he's over for his book tour?) then fair enough. But the initial reaction from the fans I was around was of disappointment with PCW, and not of anger towards to Lionheart or Styles. Fans are savvy enough nowadays to know that U.S. based wrestlers don't just turn up to accept challenges. They might do in 'storyline', but everyone knows that they sign a contract to appear, often months in advance (Steve Fludder has stated this himself in interviews about how he books shows). PCW never ever literally advertised Styles name, but the amount of tweeting they did, using Styles name, the use of the word 'phenomenal', Lionheart's antics on Twitter, PCW tweeting that they'd received interesting phone calls from America, etc - the whole thing was designed to make people think Styles was coming. For anyone eagle-eyed, after PCW initially tweeted a graphic of Lionheart inviting Styles to accept his challenge, they changed the graphic to 'Lionheart's open challenge' (with no Styles mentions) in the days leading up to the show. People can defend PCW's position and that's fine, but if the end result is leaving fans a little disappointed with the promotion, then that's never a good thing. PCW has had a great 2013 and enjoys a lot of goodwill with their fanbase (rightly so, they've delivered nearly everything promised this year - Steiners, Goldust, Liger, Vader, etc), so this was just a minor blip. They need to make sure that doesn't happen again though.

The Hair vs Hair stip. Travis & Hayes had a very good match. Sadly the stip wasn't adhered to and was a real let down. I think I've lost more hair taking a shower than Hayes lost after that match, and I'm not going bald! It didn't come off as good and left a flat feeling to the show. When fans were shouting to Travis that it was a bait and switch, he just shrugged his shoulders, smiled and said 'It's not my fault'. Couldn't Hayes have just had his head shaved? I mean, he has short hair anyway, it would grow back in a month or two? Or better yet, if Hayes didn't want to lose any hair, don't book the Hair stip in the first place.

Vader was a mild disappointment too. It was great to see a star of that magnitude live, but then the realisation hit that we weren't getting 1993 Vader, but the 58 year old, 2013 version of Vader. Of course everyone knew this going in, but his lack of mobility was sad to see. In terms of recent imports, he did by far the least. He had to sit down on a chair for most of the photos taken with fans during the interval. The finish to the match was a bit meh, Mastiff via DQ after Rayne attacked Mastiff. I know why they did it - Rayne has an issue with Mastiff stemming from the last show. And at least we got the chokeslam and Vaderbomb spots on Rayne.

Sorry if this all seems like moaning! I did have a good time, honest.

The major positives were:

Doug Williams vs Uhaa Nation was MOTN. Great match, and Uhaa is a major crowd favourite. You can tell he genuinely appreciates the support and was really touched by it. Hopefully he will back.

Dar vs Kirby was another great match. Dar was absolutely hilarious before the match with the Dole promo. That was by far his best mic work and poise on the mic that I have ever seen from him. He's definitely improving and it's a joy to watch.

Lionheart vs Ligero was another very good match. Styles stuff apart, Lionheart really is a terrific heel. I think he's the best pure heel in British wrestling right now. Some heels get a faction in the crowd cheering for them, 'to be cool', but everyone absolutely despises Lionheart. He's such an obnoxious git on the mic, and like all great heels, he's basically telling the truth a lot of the time. I think the best part was his promo after the match, when everyone was chanting different names of challengers who could face him - Ligero/Dar/Travis, which shows how much people want to see him lose.

The comedy match was the usual fun time, and Team Single continue to get great heat. Loved the massive 'DIRTY LEEDS' banner that I believe was the work of some guys on here - great job guys!

All in all, a fun night. 2013 has been a great year for PCW, so I hope 2014 continues in a similar vein.

Edited by ClassicsGuy

• Paid Members

I'll share some other points at another time but I'm really not happy with T-bone, so I was informed it was he as I wasn't really paying to much attention until I was soaked, threw a pint over me and some people around me.

Really uncalled for. I know a group were giving Rampage some stick and I assume they were playing up to that but throwing a beer at all over the crowd seems not on, even more so if you're not even hitting who your aiming at.

By all accounts a woman with a kid was not very happy about it, and rightful so, and neither was I. Interaction and playing to the crowd to keep the reaction building I get, but this just felt a bit too far and really killed my mood and enthusiasm.

I'd very much like some one to get in touch with me about it, because I'm most disappointed.

The women's match was flat and a disappointment even by the low expectations I had.

Vader Vs Mastiff. I wasn't expecting much from Vader, him just coming out and hitting his shit on Mastiff who's a great hand to take Vaders shit and make it look good, Vader wins, every ones happy.

This just felt flat and was a disappointment. I'd have rather seen Vader Vs Rayne or even Bubblegum and have them play the crowd and draw out the "Vader hits his shit and pins them and every one goes home happy" if Vader's that limited. It underplayed Vader and seeing him roll out his shit, which was a shame.

Still nice to see Vader though.

The 4 way was a good laugh and very enjoyable, the tag was fun (deano is one of my favourite faces out and about at the moment, just to share that) apart from the post match wank, Dar Vs Kirby was great and Uhaa is super popular and great fun to watch.

I've never been a big fan of Lionheart, and never really gave a toss what he did when he was a face let alone got behind him ina big way. I get more into it as a heel but not massively. The match with Ligero was good, as most match's involving Ligero are as one of the best names going. I don't expect any advertised, hinted or teased name to be on any show until I see them in the ring, it's britwres 101, so the lack of styles wasn't too much of a shock. I look forward to the inevitable built up face overcomes Lionheart and wins the belt moment though.

The main was amazing, and a big bravo to both men because it was a huge trip for me to watch. So it's a shame that the gimmick didn't give the pay off. I assume the clippers were struggling with the locks, but the fact there were no scissors or something to work with was a disappointment. Just taking a stripe out over the top so people could see the pay off in some way would have done, but no. The lack of payoff pulled the fans down after a blinder of a match, which is tragic. The tables shit all over most I've seen in Britwres, which seems to mostly be a sheet of MDF with legs screwed on which fall off the minute some one looks at them, so a thumbs up to who ever gets them in.

The good news is we didn't have any follow up on the fludder pointlessly and confusingly getting involved on the liger show which gave me a huge sigh of relief.

I like the new ring announcer too, I forget her name but I think she does good.

"GIRO, GIRO GIRO, GIRO GIRO, GIRO GIRO GIRO!!"

Chant of the night hands down, based on last night they need to give Dar a live mic more often too.

Had a blast last night, it wasn't as great as the Supershow shows, but that's a damn hard act to follow. But it was still a great show and i left feeling i got my money's worth. Having Vader less than a foot from my face screaming "WHAT TIME IS IT!" was pretty awesome as a long time fan! Coming out of a toilet cubicle only to see Kirby in his ring gear taking a piss was somewhat surreal, it think mostly because mostly naked men aren't what i normally run into in toilets lol. It only got more surreal as Vader walked in!! Vader also stood on my other half's foot lol. Bubblegum continues to be one of my favourite UK guys and i never get bored of his act. Danny Hope and Mad Man Manson never fail to get me laughing either, i could watch those 2 all day. The lack of AJ wasn't really a big downer, and it now looks as though he will be at Road to Glory, so it's not all bad. The post-show Q&A only went just over half an hour, but was enjoyable while it lasted. Bonus of the night was arriving to find my graphic had been used for the 8x10s lol, i just wish Steve had told me he planned to use it so i could have reworked the image to the correct dimensions so it would print out right. Originally i'd just knocked it up for fun and used odd dimensions as i didn't really have any intention of it being used for anything.

I didn't expect AJ to be there as if he was booked it wouldn't have been kept vague it would have been promoted like crazy, but I did think that maybe there would be a video come up on the screen where he tells Lionheart he will take him on next year (when he is over here anyway). So even though the fans didn't get to see AJ this time, I thought there would be at least something of a pay off. I think to so strongly tease AJ and give the fans nothing involving him directly was a bit disappointing.

I was worried when Vader was announced against Mastiff as it a man of Vaders size, age who worked such a physically intense style is clearly going to be very limited in the ring. I thought that the best thing you could do would be to pretty much do what WWE had him do when he came back, just destroy an annoying heel character in about 5 mins. Rampage did a really effective and entertain squash match on the Halloween show and I thought something similar for Vader would protect him and get the most of of him. Ultimately we got to see Dave Rayne take the Vader Bomb and if it was announced Vader vs Rayne from the start everyone would probably have been happy enough to see that and not much more, but by booking him with Mastiff you expect it to be somewhat competitive and it simply couldn't be. It didn't do Vader or Mastiff any favours, especially after the last shows where Mastiff looked awesome against Steen. You can't blame Vader as he's not been able to do much for a long time but he needed to be put in a different situation to get anything out of him other than pure novelty of seeing him.

The head shaving stipulation was also another case of teasing something and not delivering, if neither guy was willing to lose their head then they shouldn't have had a hair vs hair match. It was a good match and it would have been entertaining without the stipulation ever being included in the first place but it felt like a cop out after nothing came of it. It's a shame because Joey and Trav worked really hard and damn near killed themselves for the fans and ultimately the lack of hair being shaved will most likely be what is remembered and talked about rather than the match itself. So stimulation aside that was by far the best match on the show and Joey and Trav deserve a lot of credit for their effort.

What were the results from the show?

Martin Kirby beat Noam Dar

Team Single beat Allmark and Dynamite

Dave Rayne beat Manson, Hope and Bubblegum

Dave Mastiff beat Vader by DQ when Dave Rayne interfered

Addy Starr beat Leah Von Dutch

Doug Williams beat Uhaa Nation

Lionheart beat El Ligero

Kris Travis beat Joey Hayes

Basically echo most of the comments that have already been said about the show. Good show but not outstanding like the Supershow, Ligero/Lionheart match of the night for me followed by Travis/Hayes and Kirby/Dar. As great as it was to meet Vader, sadly the match of his which in his q and a he thought Mastiff was nervous and the q and a itself which was a bit short lived 40 minute thing.

I'll share some other points at another time but I'm really not happy with T-bone, so I was informed it was he as I wasn't really paying to much attention until I was soaked, threw a pint over me and some people around me.

Really uncalled for. I know a group were giving Rampage some stick and I assume they were playing up to that but throwing a beer at all over the crowd seems not on, even more so if you're not even hitting who your aiming at.

By all accounts a woman with a kid was not very happy about it, and rightful so, and neither was I. Interaction and playing to the crowd to keep the reaction building I get, but this just felt a bit too far and really killed my mood and enthusiasm.

I'd very much like some one to get in touch with me about it, because I'm most disappointed.

The woman was my mom, we take my disabled brother to shows all over the uk, it really was uncalled for tbh. We spoke to the fludders about this to be told what do we expect him to do about it and that it makes for an "atmosphere" so yeah me driving a 200 mile round trip to get beer thrown in my face makes for a good atmosphere? Does it bollocks. Won't be taking my brother back to pcw anytime soon, I might go if the mood ever strikes but after that poor customer service I'm not amused.

Edited by UberTekkers

Wasn't at PCW but saw Vader last night at BCW and I must say he put in an astonishing shift in his match and was very involved. Did all of his signature stuff and had a big smile on his face like he was having a blast.

He must have been saving his energy for BCW because he looked completely blown up after hardly doing anything at PCW. He was so tired he needed to sit down for a lot of his pics during the in ring photo op after his match.

The woman was my mom, we take my disabled brother to shows all over the uk, it really was uncalled for tbh. We spoke to the fludders about this to be told what do we expect him to do about it and that it makes for an "atmosphere" so yeah me driving a 200 mile round trip to get beer thrown in my face makes for a good atmosphere? Does it bollocks. Won't be taking my brother back to pcw anytime soon, I might go if the mood ever strikes but after that poor customer service I'm not amused.

I never said 'what do you expect me to do' so please do not say what I said if I did not say it. I said to just your mother who come to the merch area alone 'I am very sorry the rowdy atmosphere is part of PCW but its not right that a wrestler thrown beer over you and he will be told its not acceptable'.

I am very sorry this happened and the talent was told about it and told it must not happen again. I wont make excuses but PCW is very edgy and not targeted as a family show but I would rather not have drinks thrown about like a rock concert.