New Japan iPPV thread

JNLister

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
The first 2 days of the G1 are up on youtube. I assume its cool to post them here, considering they are being shipped on all message boards and it usually takes New Japan ages to get them took down.

Day 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=l6IzXB9s2G0

Day 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8D9APTuclQ

Day 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blBZKqg2wqU

There's a star in the making here with Lance Archer. The two matches I've seen him in thus far have been great from him. He's shown confidence and charisma I've never seen from him ever in the US. I've seen quite a bit of him in New Japan, but haven't seen any of his singles matches. He's quite great right now. Doesn't even look like the same bloke from TNA and FCW. Someone with that look and that size should have really had a better career than he's had. I'm glad he's living up to his early potential. Fine leather jacket as well.

Loved Shibata and Kojima on night 2 as well. Kojima got his arse kicked for most of it. The psychology was off the charts. Proper Rocky/Clubber Lang stuff. Kojima's ability to draw sympathy is quite stunning. Should definitely go back to the white and orange outfit, though.

Other notes, loved Prince Devitt's "chopping down the big tree" line when he had Lance Archer prone. And the referees in Japan take the worst bumps.

I've not had chance to watch any yet, but I've been reading the results, and decided to watch something I'd read about real quick. What was the deal with the 3 count on Kojima vs Tanahashi on the first day?

Yeah that was an odd one. I'm guessing that Tanahashi was supposed to kick out so the ref stopped the count at two. But because Hash's shoulders were still blatantly on the mat the ref called the bell to cover his blushes. Or something.

I've enjoyed Tanahashi's cockiness recently. He hasn't taken to losing the title very well. I like how he seems to say "fuck you lot anyway" when the crowd start rooting for his opponent (which they always do now) and starts slapping blokes before pulling out his trusty air guitar. A proper 'dick head' as Devitt wonderfully put it.

I was intending to catch every G1 show as soon as the show is released but that is turning into a bit of mission to sit through 3 hours of NJPW every day for nearly 10 days, so I'm now only checking out the matches that interest me and that pretty much means I'm watching a new a Shibata, Ishii, Nakamura and MiSu match every day. That's pretty awesome.

I echo the love for Ishii/Tanahashi. I'm not usually that high as others are on Tanahashi, but this was one of his best performances. He works best as a heel and does everything he can to make Ishii look like a star. I think I can honestly make the claim that Ishii is the best wrestler in the world once the G1 finishes. He's one of the few guys that can make me feel like a little kid when I'm watching wrestling. You just can't help but get behind that egg-shaped bastard. I lost my shit when he hit the Steiner Screwdriver. Couldn't believe it.

• Paid Members

I just want a quick word on Tanahashi, the best wrestler in the world. I watched his match with Ishii last night, a match obviously booked to main event that show for the pure purpose of Korakuen (who hate Tana) getting to see him get beaten by someone he should obviously lose to, just like two years ago with Yano, and similar to how Makabe goes on last (and wins) in Yokohama every year, because Kanagawa is his home prefecture.

At the opening bell there are actually fairly decent "TANA-HASHI" chants, and while the crowd is mixed, they don't hate him quite as much as the story of the match needs them to. So, what does Tana do? The first collar-and-elbow lock up of the match, he backs Ishii into the ropes, and doesn't give him a clean break. "BOOO!" Seconds later, he holds onto a cravatte when Ishii has the ropes and forces the ref to take it right up until the 5.... then he gets up, and poses. "BOOOOOO!!!!" What a pro. It's the little things, and just to sit and watch him think "Mmmm, too popular.... be dickhead" like that was brilliant to watch.

Incidentally with both Tana and Okada suffering in A Block, might be time to hang my hat on Shibata.

I just want a quick word on Tanahashi, the best wrestler in the world. I watched his match with Ishii last night, a match obviously booked to main event that show for the pure purpose of Korakuen (who hate Tana) getting to see him get beaten by someone he should obviously lose to, just like two years ago with Yano, and similar to how Makabe goes on last (and wins) in Yokohama every year, because Kanagawa is his home prefecture.

Why is he hated at Korakuen? They don't like Kansai people/narcissists?

• Paid Members

He's the girls and children's favourite, and they're "the hardcore fans" i.e. jealous dickheads who are fed up of him being "pushed too hard" or "rammed down their throats" (despite him actually being the best) with his long and/or numerous title reigns and the fact he nearly always regains the title from the guy he lost it to. As I intimated in an earlier post, he's John Cena, and Korakuen is MSG.

Pretty hard hitting day was day four. I'm sure they'll be a lot of wanking over Shibata vs Ishii but I'll never be too keen on two blokes headbuttng the shit out of each other. For what it was though I thought it was certainly better than Shibata/Goto. Overall it was the best day yet with a fun main event between Nak/Ibushi which had Ibushi looking like a star coming out of it. I love the addition of a guitar to Devitt's entourage. I hope they leave it for a big moment before he smashes it over some bastards head. His entrance music is class.

He's the girls and children's favourite, and they're "the hardcore fans" i.e. jealous dickheads who are fed up of him being "pushed too hard" or "rammed down their throats" (despite him actually being the best) with his long and/or numerous title reigns and the fact he nearly always regains the title from the guy he lost it to. As I intimated in an earlier post, he's John Cena, and Korakuen is MSG.

I guess the one difference being that John Cena is not actually the best........ :-)

I'm not looking above, i'm avoiding spoilers. I finally finished Day 2 and FUCK ME Tanahashi/Ishii was awesome. If we see a better match we've had a great G1.

This might have been covered above

Day one has been taken down, so the channel on youtube will probably get axed in the next day or two.

Day 1 can be found Here the rest of the G1 is also posted.

• Paid Members
I finally finished Day 2 and FUCK ME Tanahashi/Ishii was awesome. If we see a better match we've had a great G1.

There are two better on Day 4 in Shibata/Ishii and Nakamura/Ibushi which are both amazing in different ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyGwpDkxS-4

Archived